Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
King Kong

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 Manual
Winter Setup - BBS SR with Blizzak WS90

Minnesota winter is coming and this will be my first with the Camaro so I thought I'd go ahead and get a proper set of snow tires on the car. I picked up these BBS SR Anthracite Painted 17x8, 30mm offset and Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 in 235/60R17 from Tirerack. I've had some uni body cars in the past and didn't want to ruin the pinch welds on this car so I did some research here and settled on this method. I purchased two sets of Dewhel lift pads and installed 3 pads per side along the factory recommended spots on the pinch weld. Not sure how I feel about these. I got the car used and the lift points didn't appear to have ever been used, but the pads in the mid-front position didn't want to sit flat on the bottom of the weld and lean in towards the car a bit instead of sitting at 90 degrees as I'd like. That said they work fine and considering I'm only going to lift the car twice a year for wheel changes I'm not going to worry about it. I picked up an Arcan Blackline 2-Ton Low-Profile Floor Jack Model# XL2TB and a couple ESCO 3-Ton Performance Shorty Style Jack Stands model# 10499. These jack stands worked great with the lift points and seem less likely to slip compared to using a regular V shaped or hockey pucks. Lifting the car from the mid-front raised the vehicle enough to place stands in the front and back. Worked great for me but I'm not an expert at this so your mileage may vary. Cheers!
Attached Images

King Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I didn't realize you could run 17"s on a 6th gen
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
King Kong

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I didn't realize you could run 17"s on a 6th gen
It's a V6 model, not sure this works with the V8 cars.
King Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
It's a V6 model, not sure this works with the V8 cars.
Yeah I have a 2018 V6 myself, and was told 17's were a no go, but obviously that isn't true apparently. I run 18" 5th gen wheels with Blizzaks. With a good snow tire these cars do amazingly well
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #5
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Minnesota here also, new to a 2021 LT1 in black. I've always run winters on my vehicles, but they were both Subaru's until now. So curious what to expect with the rear wheel drive V8 and winters. I know I need to do it, just haven't brought er in to discount tire yet to do so.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
So curious what to expect with the rear wheel drive V8 and winters.
Floor it at every stop light for maximum traction.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
Minnesota here also, new to a 2021 LT1 in black. I've always run winters on my vehicles, but they were both Subaru's until now. So curious what to expect with the rear wheel drive V8 and winters. I know I need to do it, just haven't brought er in to discount tire yet to do so.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The controls systems do a great job at keeping everything in check once the roads get slick, and with a decent snow tire it's very stable and predictable.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
MykeJ

Drives: Chevy Camaro RS
Nice set up I plan on ordering a set with in the next week for my car. I am also going with 17s like you but thinking about these tires VikingContact 7 the reviews look good. I live outside Chicago so I need a good set just like you.
MykeJ is offline   Reply With Quote