Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Adding Rear View/2nd camera

I’m looking to add a second camera to my car the records video footage behind me instead of just in front of me.

I’m looking at upgrading the video quality of my front facing stock factory camera/PDR, does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind of rear view camera to pair it with so that I preferably have an all in one integrated seamless system with Split screen or picture in picture options while keeping data overlay on both videos?
Old 11-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
pumalex

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro
i beleive a full AIM smartycam system would do that but that is a high end and very expensive system. If your goal is to make nice video with data on it, it is a heck of a nice system, especially if you are already running a solo DL.

Otherwise you can always trick the back up camera like we did and see behind the car in the screen at all time in your front facing video
pumalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumalex View Post
i beleive a full AIM smartycam system would do that but that is a high end and very expensive system. If your goal is to make nice video with data on it, it is a heck of a nice system, especially if you are already running a solo DL.

Otherwise you can always trick the back up camera like we did and see behind the car in the screen at all time in your front facing video
Yeah that might be a little too expensive for me considering I don’t plan on diving into all that incredibly detailed data, plus I heard smarty Cam doesn’t have the greatest video quality, not that I’ve ever experienced it myself.

I need great quality resolution video, my YouTube subscribers demand it, all three of them!

I’d like to hear more about you tricking the rearview camera! So what exactly is the end result? Can you clarify if you get video footage of both the front and the back at the same time or if it’s just the back that just takes over for the front completely and if you still get data overlay or not?
Old 11-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
pumalex

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro
nan what i meant is that the back up camera, in the radio, we tricked it to display the back up view all the time so if you have a camera installed behind the driver like on a roll bar, you would see the radio thus the rear of the car in the screen.

That won't make any good quality video for the rear that is for sure, i was just kidding. But it is a cool feature though, if you have someone really close behind you would see him on the screen

We are still in a development stage so no clue if this is going to be nice on video or not. Car is not even finished so we are far from tuning our video setup...
pumalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
GunMetalGrey

So far my research is showing that there is no camera system from AIM, GoPro or Garmin that allows two cameras to be part of the same “system”.

I plan on using race Chrono to overlay data on what ever camera system I end up with, so I can make between Track session improvements. Partly because I don’t want the in-depth data that AIM data logger offers and I want the ease-of-use for between session improvement which I think might be better than the Garman catalyst because my understanding is that the Garman catalyst only shows opportunities for improvement by using comparisons within the current track session, not the entire day or previous bests from other sessions.

AIM Smarty cam seems way too expensive at $1000 considering it is only 720 P, while GoPro 9 hero is half the price for much better resolution at 4K. Garmin HD camera seems too cheap at $150.

I think the real question is question is what camera is best to mount outside on the rear exterior of the car to shoot video backwards? The bullet cam from AIM is clearly the most aerodynamic, but again cost $1000 and it’s only 720P resolution.. The GoPro is more bulky and far less aerodynamic than the bullet camera from AIM but cheaper and better resolution. I’ve never mounted a camera on the exterior of a car so I have no idea how hard it is
Old 11-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #6
GunMetalGrey

Does anyone know The best camera to mount to the exterior of a vehicle and how to fasten/mount it so that it does not fall off?