Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
power cut during tight turns

I'm wondering if this is traction control, non e-LSD (convertible), software, or other and asking for other opinions. I have never driven the coupe with the e-lsd so not sure how that compares other than the obvious electronic diff benefits.

example- turning right onto an on ramp, rolling into throttle pretty hard, and power stalls until im almost straight then power back on hard as expected. almost as if the engine is choked out. i am not noticing the traction control light coming on but will pay more attention next time it happens.

i know we have a lot of torque to manage, but it doesnt seem normal to have the power cut off completely like its doing to this degree. I have been guessing it was traction control trying to keep me from sliding out. my RPMs are probably pretty low 2-3k when this occurs. maybe it wont do it if more aggressive in higher rpms.

I dont know. just thought i would ask because its annoying sometimes.

thanks for your input.
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
2018ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 NFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogmanZL1 View Post
I'm wondering if this is traction control, non e-LSD (convertible), software, or other and asking for other opinions. I have never driven the coupe with the e-lsd so not sure how that compares other than the obvious electronic diff benefits.

example- turning right onto an on ramp, rolling into throttle pretty hard, and power stalls until im almost straight then power back on hard as expected. almost as if the engine is choked out. i am not noticing the traction control light coming on but will pay more attention next time it happens.

i know we have a lot of torque to manage, but it doesnt seem normal to have the power cut off completely like its doing to this degree. I have been guessing it was traction control trying to keep me from sliding out. my RPMs are probably pretty low 2-3k when this occurs. maybe it wont do it if more aggressive in higher rpms.

thanks for your input.

I wouldn't think the car would do this on its own... Have you had any mods done to the car? Maybe a wire is rubbing? larger tires? I saw something about a wire being chafed and they put out a recall on it. Something most definitely isnt right because a lot of guys track these cars and I guarantee we would be hearing about it!
2018ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
What drive mode are you in?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
HogmanZL1

sport mode always. fully stock. new set of ps4's. i have a dealer 2 miles away and havent been in to ask them yet. need to try and see if i can replicate it or if its only random.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
I have a convertible ZL1 and often turn left onto an on-ramp. The turn is about 90 degrees and has a few bumps. I get a delay before the car will accelerate. I have noticed the traction control light is on, but don't know if its always on when there is a delay. Would usually be in tour or sport mode. I've figured it was the bumps causing the car to think there was a loss of traction but will pay more attention in the future too.
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
HogmanZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
I have a convertible ZL1 and often turn left onto an on-ramp. The turn is about 90 degrees and has a few bumps. I get a delay before the car will accelerate. I have noticed the traction control light is on, but don't know if its always on when there is a delay. Would usually be in tour or sport mode. I've figured it was the bumps causing the car to think there was a loss of traction but will pay more attention in the future too.
this sounds similar. an onramp or turning down a street and trying to accelerate while still turning is when i notice it usually.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
barnesbr

Drives: 2018 ZL1 10 spd
Does it happen every time? Do you get a traction control light? My guess would be low fuel in the tank and gravity starving the pump.
2018 Summit White ZL1, A10, Navi, LPO Carbon fuel door, LPO floor mats, Carbon hood scoop, Kooks LT’s, Lingenfeltor 720HP Kit, Roto-Fab CAI, 1LE tail lights/3rd brake light, tinted side markers, ZL1 addons lift pads, 15 % tint. 642HP/664TQ

Sold: 2010 RS, Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic, Leather, Navi, Sunroof, HUD.

Sold: 2012 1SS LS3 Vert, 6-speed Manual, Inferno Orange Metallic, Borla Catback, CAI intake, Skip shift eliminator.
barnesbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I can get my car to cut engine power in a turn due to the back end breaking loose when say half throttle in Sport/Sport. But it only happens when the back end breaks loose. And it’s usually a good thing otherwise it would be 50/50 odds that the car would spin a la mustang crowd eating mode...

I’ve learned to stay outta the throttle until I have the red rocket straight and pointed where I want it to go.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #9
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogmanZL1 View Post

thanks for your input.
A quick test would be to turn off the nannies and duplicate the turn, but be ready for anything when you do and make sure its a safe place.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
I'd run a different mode or in sport mode just click the traction control button once to disable it. You will still have stability control on.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
May or may not be related , but there are also 4 modes of the E-diff. In Tour, Sport modes the priority is stability, in track mode and the sub menus within track mode, the priority is getting you thru the turn quicker.

I can feel this when taking on/off ramps or even a quick 90 degree sharp turn from a stop. Its also the reason I drive in Track mode and sub menu Sport 1, instead of Sport mode even though I like the throttle mapping better in Sport mode.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
OP is talking about the Vert, which has no E-diff.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #13
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
OP is talking about the Vert, which has no E-diff.
Oh, gotcha. My bad. I didn't know that the conv. didn't get the E-diff.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
When I raced a friend's ZL1 Vert at Laguna Seca, I accidentally started in Tour mode. We were jumping into the car quickly between sessions. I hit the gas after turn 3 and it felt like a parachute deployed out of the back of the car and I was at wide open throttle. My Coupe doesn't do anything like that, but I also haven't left it in Tour mode at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
I'd run a different mode or in sport mode just click the traction control button once to disable it. You will still have stability control on.

If you put it into Track and then tap traction control twice, then it puts the convertibles into "competitive mode". All the modes on the vert are different than the coupe. I have no idea why GM made it so radically different and why they didn't put the eLSD into the vert. The cars handle dramatically different at the track, although I never noticed with spirited driving on the street (coupe/vert).