#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #29
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarponTime View Post
We do have a novice walk though/ ride along, but I am just picking this up again from when I used to go to a few events 4-5 years ago in my 2000 SS, so that means right to A Street. I have made a few friends that we walk the course before hand, and it does help. We also can do ride alongs on none points days, Daytona was a 2 day event with a practice on the first day. I just wasn't able to make both days.

I feel like things were coming together on my last Deland run, hoping to build off of that with more seat time. There is a track night in America coming up at Sebring on the 17th, and they have a great novice program.
You were clearly doing much better in the last video other than the tank slapper at the end of the first run. (don't worry happens to everyone) There is no substitute for seat time, and the more you do it the better you will be. I see people all of the time asking about how they can go faster at the track or Autocross with $X budget in a car they just got a month ago. I tell them to hold off on the mods and get more seat time first. Even better to use that money on some instruction at a novice school or something similar. Sometimes they listen. One thing I would recommend you do if you haven't already is to get a performance alignment on the car. It will help and as long as there is little or no toe in front you shouldn't see a lot of shoulder wear from normal driving. And please share any future videos of your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Check this out. I hadn't seen it before this post earlier in the year. If I had, I may have opted for this over the factory PDR.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...79&postcount=9
I have actually been looking at the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30. It has the ability to add OBD2 data overlays natively and it comes with a built in 10hz GPS as well as gyro and accelerometer. You can also connect other sensors to it and include their data overlays. It's a much better system than what I have been using with Harry's Laptimer and trying to get the data overlay to sync with the video. (it is actually too much of a hassle so I just stopped using it) It does 4k video as well. I think if it ever goes on sale I will end up pulling the trigger on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Awesome runs! I love that those course really allowed you to stretch it out a bit. In cabin color commentary is always hilarious to me. I'm 100x worse so I guess it makes me feel better.
The second video at zMax on the first day before it rained that slalom section of the course at the start was amazingly fast. Its something you can only do at larger venues. We like to keep it at about 60-65 max though beyond that there is a safety issue. (we keep speeds down by course design not by putting a speed limit that drivers would have to adhere to) As for the commentary, it's not easy to keep that in when something like that happens. My 3rd run (second in the video) at Blacklake that was the 3rd damn time I hit that same cone and I was pretty pissed at myself for doing it. I was kind of surprised that I didn't say more.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #30
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Thinking about doing an event this weekend. Ive got an 18 ZL1. I'm not really an autox fan but have never done it. Just seems so tight to me and that there is no room to let the car out sort of speak.

Ive got quite a few track days behind me and 4 with my ZL1 so far.

Any advice for a first timer for auto x? I'm assuming same as a track day as far as prep same target tire pressures etc..

EDIT: Sorry thought this was in the track section..
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #31
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Search the autox/track forum, lots of posts on the topic. In short go for the fun which are the people, ask for help (leave ego at home), expect it to be tight by comparison, don't take it too seriously but focus during your runs as you'll spend most of them trying not to get lost/take the proper line.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #32
sv340

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Leaving the EGO at home is good advice. Cars with 2/3s less power than you will have faster times. Sometimes the courses will favor the higher hp cars, but most times not so much. I will say that autocross will make you a better driver once you get good at it. You really end up learning a lot more about your car. A couple tips I will give is looking ahead is very important, get on the throttle quick but smoothly, generally speaking brake late but hard when needed, so generally keep as much speed as possible for as long as possible. I find it very strategic. These cars will force you to give up some speed in some places to gain an advantage in others. The smaller cars are fast because they don't have come off the throttle as much. Tire selection is a big factor, most CAM-C cars run Bridgestone RE71's or BFG 1.5's. Its a great time and addicting as hell and the cost per smile is a lot less than tracking. Set your goal at being competitive in your class and work out from there.
sv340 is offline   Reply With Quote