#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #43
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I understand. What about the new Z06 being above the Grand Sport? BTW, the ZL1 then and now are still the most powerful Camaro's. The Z/28 then and now are the most track worthy. Then the kicker in 1969 they made a ZL1-Z/28.

I have seen a few COPO's with a sports handling package similar to a Z/28, they called it a dual COPO, but not a ZL1 Z/28.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #44
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
Hmmm... I didn't know about the ZL-1 Z/28. Cool!
And yes, I feel the Grand Sport name lost some luster after the limited-run LT4 C4s, and would make more sense as a limited-run Z06 option as in "Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Grand Sport"
And when I said "superior", I meant as in priced above the ZL1, especially considering it didn't need to be.
I believe 2 had the "Sports Car" suspension (aka Z/28).

Regarding pricing, parts cost what parts cost.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #45
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I have seen a few COPO's with a sports handling package similar to a Z/28, they called it a dual COPO, but not a ZL1 Z/28.
I didn't know it either, until a few years ago a member here showed me. Some also had the RS package.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjpc View Post
What do you guys think or has anyone heard anything? LT4 LS7 or something new?
It won't be the LS7, that can be pretty much guaranteed.

As for what it will have? I have no idea.

Nothing is preventing them from developing a Camaro-exclusive engine. The bean counters could probably be cajoled with a 'well, Ford can do it for the Mustang ... '. If it does get a unique engine, I see a few possibilities. There is the 'wild' option consisting of pretty much going all out and making a kind of 'LT7' where they get the most NA hp out of the gen V small block architecture that they can get away with. I'd peg that type of engine at a minimum of 550 hp.

One step down from that would be an 'LT6' (akin the the gen III LS6) where it utilized the same displacement as the mainstream small block (LT1 here, LS1 then) but thoroughly re-worked to get a decent power upgrade. I'm thinking maybe low 500 hp range.

The cheapo option is to do a few mild tweaks to the LT1 to add around 30 hp to it. Enough to be seen as an upgrade, but only just. An 'LT2' so to speak.

One radical idea would be to ditch the V8 altogether. Go with a high output turbo4 and pare the weight down as much as possible, coupled with maximum handling capability. It wouldn't really compete with anything directly. In the Camaro family tree, it would be a branch off the base car but slotted above the SS in the overall hierarchy. This is very much a longshot though.

I don't see them using a TTV6. To use an existing one would, best case scenario, be no better than the LT1. They could make an all new TTV6, but it wouldn't have any advantages over any of the other theoretical V8s I mentioned above unless it was rated in the upper 500/low 600 hp range. It can be done, but I don't see GM going to all that trouble for a V6 for the Camaro.

That leaves the LT4. It would be a pretty simple proposition to use it. But the team in charge of the Camaro now is pretty much the same one that put the kibosh on having the supercharged 5th gen badged as a Z28. And given that there is going to be a ZL1 with the LT4, I don't think there would be enough to distinguish it from an LT4 powered Z/28 for the majority prospective of buyers.

It all ends up coming down to what kind of goals GM has in mind for the Z/28. If they're fine with it being a rough equal to the GT350, than it will probably have an 'LT6'. If its acceptible to lag a bit behind the Mustang in a straight line (though perhaps making up for it when it gets twisty) then a mild power upgrade would be sufficient. If they set out to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that they can build a better NA pony car track rat than Ford ... about the only choice would be an LT7 style engine. If the objective is to make Ford look like they brought a knife to a gun fight: LT4. And if they want to simply carve their own path, and have a unique niche all to themselves there is the turbo4 lightweight special.

Some of those sound a lot more plausible to me than others. But an argument could be made for any of them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #47
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I'm hoping it stays NA in the 500-550HP range with CC brakes as an option and the base price under $60,000.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:41 AM   #48
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It was built for Can Am racing, not drag racing. The cars that came with the ZL1 engine were not supposed to be built. The dealers found a backdoor way to modify cars outside of the standard ordering method. The engine itself was more than the Camaro it came in and caused the cars to sit on the lot for a long time.

http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-zl1.htm

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ointing-400000

Right, the engine was built for the Chapperall for Can-Am racing, which is actually new information for me, thank you. Then pushed through the COPO program to make them spec for NHRA and AHRA classes in the Camaro.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
So, if they don't come up with a unique, most powerful, normally aspirated, true to it's roots engine for the Z/28, the problem will be what again? That it won't sell? The Gen5 adherence to the "correct" Z/28 formula didn't exactly set any world sales record.

Not to mention they already tried to build a unique, powerful, normally aspirated engine for the new Z/28 and the Corvette Z06 (?) but it was a bust....It could not pass muster for emissions. I doubt they will double down on another potential failure, or go less powerful....There are too many similar power numbers out there now in existing power-plants to justify something unique.

Wasn't the 5thGen Z/28 built using whatever "tools were in the tool-box" ?...and that included the LS7....The only useable tool in the tool-box now is the LT-4....

No matter what engine it has, it will be the most expensive Camaro ever, and enjoy the fewest sales numbers, be the top dog in performance, and the halo-car for the brand.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #50
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I'm sure this has been asked, but is this expected to be a 2017 or do people expect it to be a 2018 model? Any idea on a timeframe for an unveiling?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #51
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I'm sure this has been asked, but is this expected to be a 2017 or do people expect it to be a 2018 model? Any idea on a timeframe for an unveiling?
That's what I'd like to know. Would be nice to be informed with what this thing is before jumping on a ZL1.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not to mention they already tried to build a unique, powerful, normally aspirated engine for the new Z/28 and the Corvette Z06 (?) but it was a bust....It could not pass muster for emissions.
Its wasn't just emissions. Power, durability, and cost factor in as well.

Emissions need to be better than X or else it can't be sold. But everything else is variable. If you back off on the power requirements (say 575 hp instead of 600), its easier to meet emissions and durability. Cost might go down too. Allow an extra $250 in cost per engine, and you can do a little more to manage emissions at a particular power level. Durability might go down a touch though (or it might even go up).

GM's own internal requirements on the Z06, including power, cost, and durability (whatever they were) could not be met with a naturally aspirated engine while also meeting emissions. Those requirements are different on a Z/28 than the Z06. It's probably a bit more important to keep it low-cost, but on the flip side it might not need to be as powerful as what they were looking for in the Z06. So it wouldn't be too unlikely to see it get dusted off & rejiggered for Camaro duty.

Quote:
It could be ready late in the 2017 model year (early in the 2017 calendar year) but I would not be surprised to see it go into production as a 2018 model.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #53
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
My opinion only with NO factual backup. I really do not see Chevy releasing the new Z28 as a 2017 model along with the 1LE and ZL1. My best guess is a 2018 model with a release at the New York Show in January 2017 as a 2018 model. JMO
Old 04-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #54
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its wasn't just emissions. Power, durability, and cost factor in as well.

Emissions need to be better than X or else it can't be sold. But everything else is variable. If you back off on the power requirements (say 575 hp instead of 600), its easier to meet emissions and durability. Cost might go down too. Allow an extra $250 in cost per engine, and you can do a little more to manage emissions at a particular power level. Durability might go down a touch though (or it might even go up).

GM's own internal requirements on the Z06, including power, cost, and durability (whatever they were) could not be met with a naturally aspirated engine while also meeting emissions. Those requirements are different on a Z/28 than the Z06. It's probably a bit more important to keep it low-cost, but on the flip side it might not need to be as powerful as what they were looking for in the Z06. So it wouldn't be too unlikely to see it get dusted off & rejiggered for Camaro duty.

It could be ready late in the 2017 model year (early in the 2017 calendar year) but I would not be surprised to see it go into production as a 2018 model.
I thought I remember reading they needed AFM on the Z06, and that was one of the issues. Also, like you said, I'm sure they don't need as much power for the Z/28 as they wanted for the Z06.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #55
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I read on another forum it will be a n/a motor less than 7L and 600ish hp. No proof of course, just something I read.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #56
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
My opinion only with NO factual backup. I really do not see Chevy releasing the new Z28 as a 2017 model along with the 1LE and ZL1. My best guess is a 2018 model with a release at the New York Show in January 2017 as a 2018 model. JMO
I can't see GM missing the opportunity to have a 50th Z/28.