Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
remove the tb to clean it. the o ring is reusable. Dont know if brake clean will harm the tb sensor. I just use TB cleaner. you can clean the MAF too. You need MAF cleaner to do that. rear diff fluid
I love it after everything said its just....."rear diff fluid". so random...lol

OP as said, carb cleaner will not hurt anything...as long as it is not abused. It will dry out gaskets it is contact with. No worries about cleaning out your throttle body with it...spray and keep the throttle up, don't over spray nor let the engine die. The engine should be running/on..duh < a drunk DIY beware lol
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #16
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Carb cleaner is bad news, I know you all won't believe me. I always use the weaker stuff before resorting to it's use. It likes to eat the paint off of stuff, like Harley Engines. Anything that strong I don't want near my machined aluminum parts.

I really can't tell much difference between brake cleaner and throttle body cleaner, besides price.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
o sorry
1 qt of 75w90 with 3oz of anti slip additive . 18ftlbs on the fill and drain plugs. he asked what he should do not how to do it or what to use. The owners manual says what fluids to use. The 2010 manual I believe calls for 1oz of anti slip additive. GM updated it to 3oz. you will need a Hand fluid pump available at any auto parts store. is that good enough for you?
brake clean kills plastic. I never had a 90mm GM TB apart but if it can leak into the electrical of it it will destroy it.
Why leave it on and have someone revving the engine to keep it running when it so easy to take it off.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 02-26-2016 at 01:33 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #18
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregss1le View Post
its the back side that is probably filthy, remove it and clean thoroughly and discount the battery for a little more 20 mins. The throttle will be more responsive and idle a hella lot better. I can tell when my TB on the Envoy is in need of a bath, just by the way it idles. (rough/throttle is sluggish)
I'll take a look at it next week
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Bingo!

Can I use dish soap to wash my hands or do I need to use hand soap?
You may void your warranty . Check with your Oldsmobile dealer.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
marsmann

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert M6
To OP

Since your question was about tips and general maintenance suggestions at your mileage interval, I would suggest:

1. Clean out the throttle body, as suggested
2. Inspect your belts
3. Check your spark plugs if you have mods, otherwise the iridiums should hold up
4. Check fuel injectors - have them cleaned or run a cleaner through them
5. If you dont have a catch can, inspect the plastic, pseudo pcv line that goes into the intake to be sure it isn't clogged up
6. Clean the MAF if you haven't already done so as part of regular maintenance
7. Change your oil!
8. Inspect your air filter
9. Transmission fluid is optional between 50k - 100k on your car depending on use. At least check it
10. Check your tire treads to make sure your tire wear is even and your car is tracking fine and your suspension isnt out of alignment
marsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #21
ManiRai530

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My usual every 100k tune up on for most of my cars:
This is a lot of long-term preventive maintenance.

-spark plugs (OEM, ACdelco iridiums were only $36 for 8)
-spark plug wires (cheap and time for MSD or Taylors)
-replace all belts (continental or gates for me)
-tensioners and idler pulley (OEM)
-thermostat (OEM)
-water pump (OEM)(except the one on LS motors seems robust, so will wait til 150k)
-clean throttle body and MAF sensor
-power steering oil change (turkey baster, run it through multiple times)
-brake fluid flush (Castrol DOT4 for me)
-time to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines if not already done
-battery (Everstart MAXX for me. my 2012 had the original in it for 6yrs/100k miles and no issues, I just replaced it yesterday for peace of mind; bad batteries leave you stranded with a dead alternator too, so $150 is cheaper than a tow and big bill if on a long road trip

TRANS
-oil/filter change (OEM or Redline for me)

DIFF
-change oil (Redline 75w-90 for me)
-change oil again after 1-2k (cheap insurance and you will be surprised how much gets cleaned out)
ManiRai530 is offline   Reply With Quote