Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #1
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Changing Wheel bearings: front vs rear

A few months ago, my friend changed the left front wheel bearings due to a humming noise. Now it sounds like the left rear area is making a similiar sound. A mechanic quoted me $195 for 2.5 hours work to change the left rear bearing out. It only took my friend about 40 minutes to change the front one out.

Is there a mechanical difference in changing the front vs rear wheel bearings that would take so much time to do?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
When changing the rears you need to deal with the axle shafts.

Did your buddy add the time to go to the parts store and purchase the part in his 40 minutes? The time the shop quoted is probably "standard time" to complete the full process from procuring the part to bringing the car into the bay, to pulling it back out when the job is done. 2.5 hours for a shop doesn't seem out of line when all is considered.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #3
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I just did BOTH of my rear hubs last weekend and it took me just under 2.5hrs start to finish. Retired ASE Master tech with a shop full of the correct tools, but no lift, working off a floor jack. I don't know what the labor guide calls for, but I think 2.5hrs may be too high of just one. Call around.

And getting the parts is never factored into the labor charge as all shops get their parts delivered to them by the parts stores. Rockauto brought me mine and I live out in the middle of the woods.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:41 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
The rear wheel bearings are a lot more of a pain to change than the fronts.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote