Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 12-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Current Latest/Greatest for New Car? Ceramic Spray or Silica?

OK, so I've been following this forum for years, and have greatly appreciated the advice of Kirk, Glen, Gunkk, et al. Just bought another new car (don't hate, its a Tesla) and want to do it right. Picking it up tonight, and want to do some correction and sealant over the next couple days. Will be sitting in the garage for a week later this week, so good curing opportunity.

I still have some Reload and Spray and Shine, but they are running low, and wanted to consider the ceramic sprays, but the new car is almost 1/2 glass, between windshield windows and roof, so a rec for glass prep/sealant is also appreciated.

Hope everyone has an excellent holiday season and new year (and that I'm still welcome with a different type of "american muscle"
Cheers,
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
All these new "ceramic" sprays are the same basic ingredient: SiO2 (glass fibers).

<5% SiO2 sealant is spray on/spray off: Gyeon WetCoat, McKees HydroBlue, any other "ceramic" spray that is spray off
>5% SiO2 sealant is spray on/wipe off: CarPro Reload, any other "ceramic" spray that is wipe off
>20% SiO2 sealant is called a "coating"and is wipe on/wipe off: CarPro CQuartz, Gliss, etc

I haven't tried many of the new ones but I know the ones I named above are good.

SiO2 is great on glass.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I've been having great results with Carpro Hydro2Foam diluted 10:1, used right after a conventional wash, remove most rinse water then wipe on, hose-off. Very similar to rainX on glass.

Diluted ECH20 + Reload for QD spray.

It's much easier to apply vs polymer sealers and conventional waxes, it's smoother/slicker/glossier and less dirt and brake dust sticks.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
JBinSD

OK, so is Essence/Reload still the preferred combo for a new car? I was even open to the TW line of products at Walmart, was intending on doing a Dawn nano-sponge was, some light correction and then sealant, but not sure I have enough left of any one product to get the whole car done, so thought I start again with the latest-greatest, but if nothing has changed, I'll use Essence/Reload.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
DaveC113

I'd pay a pro to get a new car polished, etc. unless you have the gear... night and day difference... then apply PPF if you're going to, then sealer.

I have not tried a bunch of the new ceramic products but would guess they are all very similar. There are some YT vids and whatnot... I like the high dilution ratios of the carpro products though.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Not sure about late 2019 production, but earlier Teslas had a reputation for thin/weak paint (not unlike Chevy). So I will +1 the recommendation for PPF in front, rockers, etc.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
I use ResistAll Enviro/Guard with your choice of wax then PPF if you wish.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
JBinSD

I think I will do the correction and seal myself, but will get some quotes on PPF as well. I did my Camaro originally with Seal and Shine, and kept it up every 6 mos, and after 3 years I think it looked great, even w/o PPF. A clean, slick car helps avoid impact, moves faster and gets better mileage ;-)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I think I will do the correction and seal myself, but will get some quotes on PPF as well. I did my Camaro originally with Seal and Shine, and kept it up every 6 mos, and after 3 years I think it looked great, even w/o PPF. A clean, slick car helps avoid impact, moves faster and gets better mileage ;-)
PPF needs to go on without sealer/wax underneath.

I'd recommend in front of the rear wheels as a bare minimum, and would go with thicker 14 mil PPF there.