Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #211
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Let's think about this for a second.

I own a Camaro. I have owned a Camaro for almost 2 years.

Before that I owned a 2001 Firebird.

Before that I owned a 1995 Firebird.

Before that I didn't have a driver's license.

Throughout my entire life, I have owned nothing but Firebird's and Camaro's. The reason why the GT350R is a million times better than a Z28 is because the Z28 was completely un-streetable. It was designed solely for the track. It has no options and the tires are useless in most real-world conditions. The GT350R will actually have driveability. A normal person could actually drive a GT350R around as a daily driver, even. This is not possible with a Z28. On a scale of 0 to 10, I rate the Z28 a '0' because it is completely useless for me and I could never see a world where it would be a viable purchase. Technically, it is infinitely better than the Z28 because anything multiplied by zero is zero.

As a lifelong GM Camaro/Firebird only buyer, that makes me the epitome of objective. You may want to check yourself.

Then you can buy a 6th Gen Camaro when the time comes. This is aesthetics. They are completely subjective. What is not subjective is that the Z28 in stock trim is a useless car for street driving, and that's why it rates to lowly with me. GM didn't even try to sell them. No wonder they chronically sit at dealerships collecting dust.
You can attempt to rationalize it all you want but saying the GT350/R is a million times better than a Z/28 is still a foolish statement and nothing more than hyperbole.

The completely unstreetable part is also subjective while bordering hyperbole also. Keep in mind if it was solely designed for the track it wouldn't be legal on the street. The Z/28 is a street car that also serves as a track weapon.

No, the Z/28 isn't the most fully optioned Camaro but don't forget that its still a street car and has everything that's needed for the street. Yes, it could have more creature comforts but let's face it, the 5th Camaro itself isn't the holy grail of creature comforts. It's also a great driving car on the street. Which is further proven everyday by many Z/28 owners that drive them daily and/or very often on the street.

It all boils down to personal preference. Nothing more........

BTW, have you ever driven a Z/28? You make strong statements about how terrible it is on the streets and I'm wondering have you had any time behind the wheel of one or are you going exclusively off what you've read from some reports?

Have you proven any of these things to be true for yourself?

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS

Last edited by Front Runner; 08-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #212
Full Lock
Evasive Maneuvers

Drives: SIM '15 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The GT350 and GT350R are both factory ford vehicles built on the same lines as every other Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Why is this still a thing?
Sorry I'm not a ford expert. But thank yall for the info. I am a it more informed now

Also I think they need to build more than 137 gt350 &gt350r to become a actual touchable production car. Let be honest, they are going to be few and far between the Z/28's

Last edited by Full Lock; 08-17-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Full Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #213
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Lock View Post
Sorry I'm not a ford expert. But thank yall for the info. I am a it more informed now

Also I think they need to build more than 137 gt350 &gt350r to become a actual touchable production car. Let be honest, they are going to be few and far between the Z/28's
The 137 is just for the 2015 model year.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #214
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Thread derailed by RobWH in post #96
Wow... so if I question incorrect information or otherwise don't suck up to GM by not noting truth, that's derailing a thread? How childish can we get, Mr. post multiple different single lap track results? I merely WROTE... "GT500" and you went off the rails, so to speak. That was hardly my fault, but if you wanna feel better, go ahead and blame me for those 5 digits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Lock View Post
For 2015's ... but the 2016's are likely on the line already and it seems Ford will build over 4,000 of them. Too bad for those who get them, they won't be all that exclusive.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #215
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
Quote:
Thread derailed by RobWH in post #96

It had better be, or epic fail for FoMoCo. Look at how much groaning occurred on the Mustang forums when the 2015 GT performance was compared to the SS and SRT.

ONE other better lap time. The ZL1 still wins 3-2-1 which is remarkable for a heavier, lower-powered, less expensive car. More importantly we saw in the various articles the limitations of the GT500 on the track. Hopefully, 3 years later, Ford has finally given us a worthy ZL1, Z/28 competitor.
Similar to how the C7 Z06 success isn't completely in the performance but the fact that it is ZR1 performance at 80% of the cost.

I think the most important success of this car is that it is approximately (+ or - ) the performance of the z/28 at again 80% the cost.

Nobody is even mentioning that it is the first 500+ horsepower car you can buy for below $50k!!! Now thats an achievement in itself.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #216
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Similar to how the C7 Z06 success isn't completely in the performance but the fact that it is ZR1 performance at 80% of the cost.

I think the most important success of this car is that it is approximately (+ or - ) the performance of the z/28 at again 80% the cost.

Nobody is even mentioning that it is the first 500+ horsepower car you can buy for below $50k!!! Now thats an achievement in itself.
Not true.

The first 500hp car you could buy for under $50k was the 2007 GT500.

The base price back then was around $42k.

I only paid $57k for my 14 GT500 - 662hp.

If you want HP you don't need to option them up...
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #217
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWH View Post
Wow... so if I question incorrect information or otherwise don't suck up to GM by not noting truth, that's derailing a thread? How childish can we get, Mr. post multiple different single lap track results? I merely WROTE... "GT500" and you went off the rails, so to speak. That was hardly my fault, but if you wanna feel better, go ahead and blame me for those 5 digits...
Still trying to derail the thread I see. Come back when you have something constructive to contribute to the conversation.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #218
Jpnyhc1le

Drives: 2013 camaro 1ss 1le
Quote:
Still trying to derail the thread I see. Come back when you have something constructive to contribute to the conversation.
hey how much faster is your cts v vs your camaro?

Jpnyhc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #219
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Let's think about this for a second.

I own a Camaro. I have owned a Camaro for almost 2 years.

Before that I owned a 2001 Firebird.

Before that I owned a 1995 Firebird.

Before that I didn't have a driver's license.

Throughout my entire life, I have owned nothing but Firebird's and Camaro's. The reason why the GT350R is a million times better than a Z28 is because the Z28 was completely un-streetable. It was designed solely for the track. It has no options and the tires are useless in most real-world conditions. The GT350R will actually have driveability. A normal person could actually drive a GT350R around as a daily driver, even. This is not possible with a Z28. On a scale of 0 to 10, I rate the Z28 a '0' because it is completely useless for me and I could never see a world where it would be a viable purchase. Technically, it is infinitely better than the Z28 because anything multiplied by zero is zero.

As a lifelong GM Camaro/Firebird only buyer, that makes me the epitome of objective. You may want to check yourself.

Then you can buy a 6th Gen Camaro when the time comes. This is aesthetics. They are completely subjective. What is not subjective is that the Z28 in stock trim is a useless car for street driving, and that's why it rates to lowly with me. GM didn't even try to sell them. No wonder they chronically sit at dealerships collecting dust.
Your logic is weird.
The Z28 is useless TO YOU so it's a bad car?

You own a Camaro with 430hp, in a country were speed limits are so low that my grand mother would probably get tickets everyday... you have a car that is large and heavy for 2 and a half seats, with the dumbest trunk achitecture ever, you apparently bought ZL1 rims ...

Now explain to me how what you currently own might you "useful"? Nothing at all. A Ford Taurus would do the job anyway!

I own a 1LE (i guess you would consider it useless too) - not a ZL1 coz I want NA, not a Z28 coz I hate the redesign - and you know what? This car is plain useless. I live in the middle of a big city and make like 6000 miles a year...

So, yeah, the car is useless .... but damn! It is FUN!

The GT350 might be a pure rocket - ugliness isn't slowing a car down - but if it is not fun, speed is nothing.

That's why for example, Magazines choose the Z28 over a Nissan GTR. The GTR is overall a better car, but the Z is fun, and when you buy useless cars like Camaro, Mustang and Charger, it needs to be fun, not fast (your no pro driver anyway)

Same on the high end: Mc Laren is faster than a Ferrari. But the real star is the Ferrari anyway ...
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #220
gen6waiter

Drives: Toyota Taco. 2010 SS-Sold :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpnyhc1le View Post
hey how much faster is your cts v vs your camaro?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #221
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen6waiter View Post
Jokes on you. Jpnyhc1le was asking a serious question for which we had a conversation via PM as this was tangential to the topic of this thread.

Back to the topic at hand. Jalopnik posted a few comments about their track time with the 350R. Overall very positive impressions. Just a few niggles:
  • The seating position isn’t ideal. No matter how much I fiddled with it either the steering wheel was too far away or the pedals were.
  • In part, that feeling was caused by a clutch pedal throw that felt like you were stopping at the radiator and not the firewall. The engagement of the clutch is very short for the length of throw, meaning that its a bit of a struggle to get away from traffic lights cleanly.
  • Shifting was also not perfect, as the Tremec gearbox was on the notchy side making race-quick 3-4 shifts problematic.
  • Finally, the Brembo brakes, while producing massive stopping power, were inconsistent. One corner you’d have normal pedal effort the next it would be hard briefly before dropping to normal effort. This most likely isn’t the brakes themselves but more likely the brake booster coping with the engines high RPM’s.

Car&Driver enjoying the heck out of it. Their only real complaint was numb steering.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree

Last edited by MEDISIN; 08-28-2015 at 01:57 PM.
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #222
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Jokes on you. Jpnyhc1le was asking a serious question for which we had a conversation via PM as this was tangential to the topic of this thread.

Back to the topic at hand. Jalopnik posted a few comments about their track time with the 350R. Overall very positive impressions. Just a few niggles:
  • The seating position isn’t ideal. No matter how much I fiddled with it either the steering wheel was too far away or the pedals were.
  • In part, that feeling was caused by a clutch pedal throw that felt like you were stopping at the radiator and not the firewall. The engagement of the clutch is very short for the length of throw, meaning that its a bit of a struggle to get away from traffic lights cleanly.
  • Shifting was also not perfect, as the Tremec gearbox was on the notchy side making race-quick 3-4 shifts problematic.
  • Finally, the Brembo brakes, while producing massive stopping power, were inconsistent. One corner you’d have normal pedal effort the next it would be hard briefly before dropping to normal effort. This most likely isn’t the brakes themselves but more likely the brake booster coping with the engines high RPM’s.

Car&Driver enjoying the heck out of it. Their only real complaint was numb steering.
It's strange, it seems some of the complaints from one magazine will be a point of praise from another. Autoweek praised the steering and brakes, as well as the seats. Different strokes I guess. I'm more interested in the numbers of the GT350R. If it's as fast as I think it's going to be it will be an unreal deal for the money.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #223
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Yea, autoweek said their favor steering feel ever for a car with electronically assisted steering.

Either different strokes, or perhaps autoweek has a better/worse opinion of EaPS cars.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #224
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Way to cover your childish lie. You don't get to decide when I show up or what I say, junior.

The fact remains, I merely wrote "GT500" and you claimed I derailed the thread... as you went on a RANT AFTER RANT, like a 12yr old. Grow a set... and get over yourself.

Who listed track time after track time? Me? Nope. You? Yep.
Who went on and on about comparing the various Camaros as opposed to the 1LE which had been the initial comment I responded to? Me? Nope. You? Yep.
Who ACTUALLY derailed the thread? You, period. All I'm saying is, don't blame others for what you did wrong. It makes you look like a stupid little punk, regardless whether or not you actually are.

You could also choose to use some respect. I ain't your daddy... and ain't gonna be. Being decent is a choice you should make. Guys like you are PRECISELY why guys like me don't contribute more. We don't need to hear from the peanut gallery simply because we don't suck up to stupid.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote