Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phowingt View Post
I’m leaning towards the magnuson but was wondering if anyone that has one has taken the car on any long trips with it and if so did you have any trouble with heat?
It’s a great choice. I have been away for a little bit and it’s fun to come back and watch the same keyboard warriors talking utter rubbish to defend their decisions. Clearly someone like Shizzy knows what he is talking about since he went through all the phases from mild to wild.

I can offer a couple things to consider since I have actually owned and modified cars with all: centri (Procharger and Vortech), TT and PD blowers (LT4 underway and Maggie).

When someone says anything about difficulty driving it simply means they haven’t owned a PD. I can promise you that my last Procharger was absolutely no easier on the street with street tires (it was very similar to where I am now). In fact, I would say it was worse because I thought I had traction off the line and then boost continued to build and lost traction...scary stuff. I switched the Procharged car to DR’s and it was much better. I now have to do the same thing on the Camaro (in the meantime, I have bumped the car back to about 740whp and when I have time I am going to bump it back to the 710whp range. I wanted to run at the track a few weeks ago and got rained out. I was planning to roll race on street tires.

At certain power levels every blower is simply too much for street tires. Ok. So you can ignore that because it’s a foolish discussion. Just accept, regardless of which choice you make if you add too much power, you need drag radials (just don’t get caught in the rain).

Since you are asking about the beginning of the journey, 550-600whp, you are good with any of the options. They will all be a blast. After owning all of them, I opted for another PD blower on my current project Vette too because simply put at the 550-600whp the PD IS MORE FUN for the way and the places I drive. Period. This is especially true if you spend most of your time cruising around town and from stop light to stop light...I would also add that at the lower power level, 550-600whp, I couldn’t tell any discernible difference in performance from a 40-50mph roll either from PD to Centri.

I say all of that to say this. I am not trying to persuade you one way or thei other.

My advice isn’t to choose one blower over another. It is to find the tuner you want to use and then discuss what you are trying to get out of the car and go with that recommendation. Damn keyboard ninjas on the forums will give all sorts of crazy advice and you are right, it can be overwhelming and confusing. More importantly, it will also often times be wrong.

Different tuners have different experiences and I would say expertise, so you are best to go with what they recommend. On that front, I can’t speak highly enough about Ted Jannetty. My experience with him has been first rate.

If you do decide to go Maggie. You will be able to get the Maggie 2300 and nothing else. Stock fuel, stock internals, no cam and no long tube headers...you can run 550-600whp and it will be a blast. When you want to go up from there...you have all kinds of options.

Looking forward to watching your journey.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 07-03-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
What is the voltage booster I’ve seen so many people with and why is it needed?
See https://www.jmschip.com/fuelmax and https://jannettyracing.com/products/...16-2018-camaro

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #17
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
I’m leaning towards the magnuson but was wondering if anyone that has one has taken the car on any long trips with it and if so did you have any trouble with heat?
Total non issue as you're out of boost 99% of the time on a road trip. Your temps will not be any higher vs stock.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #18
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I've had my Maggie for 3 years, drag race it all the time. We did a few days on the power tour and got about 22 mpg. Lots of pulley options depending on the level of power you want to make on the street. We have guys making well over 800 at the wheel with our 2300 including mine. However you can just have plenty of fun at 550 and daily drive it on 91 or 93 octane.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
/sigh. Again I am not advocating for one power adder over another just clarifying that some of the comments have little to do with facts and are straw grasping.

My car makes 1,000+++ to the tire now so my car is definitely in the extreme. However I have included a picture from the other weekend where I drove over 210+ miles on the stock run flats at 900whp...wasnt hard to drive, merged with traffic fine, accelerated fine. Mine is a DD, wife is 8 months pregnant, ac seats blowing just fine running on 92 octane.

You are altering the argument to be about traction with shit tires vs “how does a PD blower drive”. A stock ZL1 on a street surface with stock tires will have a hard time hooking... however if you really want me to I will just launch in 2nd for you and “beat my chest”.

Also 10lbs is next to nothing so my comment about them being the same weight stands as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
about 10 lbs lighter for a Centri not including water... You can be sure if the PD was lighter SS would say so.

You did say drive? Go ahead put street tires on your ride with say a normal wear rating of 220 take your cel, get a video of the tire jump into the car and do a couple of 0-60s or 0-100 and lets see you put 100+ more torque to the ground vs a ZL1 with no issues...

IMO any normal tire will have issues at the bolt on a blower of any sort to a LT1, which makes more HP with any blower vs a LT4 at these boost levels (sub 10 PSI).

Stock GM ZL1 performance figures:
Coupe:
0-60 (manual)...............3.7 seconds
0-60 (auto)...................3.5 seconds
1/4 mile (manual)..........11.8 seconds
1/4 mile (auto)..............11.4 seconds

To be honest I don't know if these are easy or impossible to match on a street surface, I'll leave it to the stock ZL1 owners to chime in.

To the OP, any Supercharger will overwhelm the tire for any normal tire. My car is no faster FBO vs any level of forced induction to about 90+ MPH on a street surface with a normal 220 wear rated tire. I can do 0-60 from 3.6 to 3.8 no matter what is sitting under the hood. About a 2.0 60' time.
The drag racers will immediately thump their chest about their drag car and how it performs on the race track with prep, which we all know is meaningless to a DD. For a DD (which mine is):

I so have a M6, so I'll defer to auto drivers on their DD; My car will break traction by easing into boost in all of 1st most if not all of 2nd depending on the surface. Basically 3rd gear is the first gear that I'm sure traction is NOT an issue. The is no advantage at all that I can see with a PD because it is simply NOT possible to floor my car till 3rd which is 80 MPH or so on my M6. I'm absolutely sure that the PD will break traction first going to WOT in any scenario, and I absolutely sure the PD will be backing off throttle sooner too. Because the torque is completely and totally worthless as it can't be applied to the ground at any legal speed on any normal tire which I'll define as a 220 wear summer radial.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409961

Let talk about the "torque" Torque is NOT a unit of work. The trans and diff take HP (a unit of work) and can put out FAR FAR FAR FAR more torque that any PD instant boost. 1st gear is 2.66 and FD is 3.73 = 10x the engine torque, 10 TIMES, GM backs off the 1st gear on a ZL1 because of too much torque 2.29 or 8.5x So the factory back off say 625 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels on the STOCK supercharger via gear selection.... How about 2nd ZL1 is 1.61 vs 1.79 that is 6.0 vs 6.7 that is say 450 lbs to the wheels less ... the factory can choose ANY gear ratio they want for their street car. If the Zl1 needed more in gear torque 1st and 2nd, you can bet that GM would have left the LT1 gear ratios alone.

You think the 4500 lbs Hellcat would need to get more torque (if we want to pretend said torque could actually hit the road),
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/manu...-thread.18815/

Yep the Hellcat has SIGNIFICANTLY less gear vs the 392 8.76x for the Hellcat vs 11.58 for the 392, so that means Dodge backs off 1st gear wheel torque by 33%..... roughly a 3x LESS engine torque to the wheels or 2000 ft-lbs to the street tire... If the factory thought they could use the stock PD torque to move the car, they would have left the 392 gear ratio in place. The torque IS not usable in the first two gears. I have given you two factory examples and my personal experience....

QED

I have no comment on what DR or slicks do on a prep track, and that is not the question.

I considered all blowers and my primary decision was the support and the tuning. I went with Pray and I am very happy. I was close to going with the stock blower and ADM, and there is a glut of these so once again IMO, it is your tuner and what type of support. There maybe a glut of all the older aftermarket PDs too (as people are going for bigger blowers now), so they all would be good. I can see that DIY the centri is pretty easy to install.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images

Last edited by ShizzySupra; 07-04-2019 at 11:18 AM.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Whatever man - Not attacking anyone, just telling the guy to look at what he wants to do with the car vs just listening to hype. Nothing I stated was in-accurate.

1 - Shipping weight on MY kit was 75lbs, Magnuson shipping weight is 125lbs. Not everything in the box goes on the car, but less parts that weigh less means it weighs less.

They must include a jack and the wrenches?

2 - the efficiency will all be determined with the speed in which the S/C is turning. The changes that Vortech has made to the Ti level products lets them move more air in the sweet spot of their efficiency curve, hence not needing to spin them as fast for the CFM required. My setup is moving almost 1100CFM at 6500RPM, but still under 10lbs of boost. My tuner has tuned hundreds of LT4 cars, but this was his first setup on a Vortech, said he was blown away with how much air it moved at such low RPM for a Centri setup

3 - I made a comment about how MY Camaro with MY S/C setup is - the torque comes on very hard at 3500, but casual driving it is hard to keep it in the power as you are always crossing just into boost and back out.

4 - I guess I have borderline stupid vision as I run every weekend on the street with WAY more power than I do and way better tires than I do but they still have to lay off so much so they don't haze the tires. I launch at 3300 on a 2-step and get consistent 3.2-3.4 0-60s. These are 1k HP cars and they all have to roll race as they can't do nothing from a dig (even with drag radials)

5 - Pilot Sport Cup 2s - he is the first one to tell you that 1st is really just the gear to get the car going and then get into 2nd to start making grip.

6 - not up to speed on all the Procharger stuff, but on MY setup, you can run any head unit from Vortec from the SCi (1050CFM) to the YSi(1800CFM) on the same bracket and intercooler setup (Vortec only has one I/C for the camaro, a big one).

As far as the pulleys go - with the design of the Vortec setup (uses a jack shaft vs a crank pulley setup like ProCharger) you have a lot more belt wrap, and according to Vortech / ECS, the stock width belt will work fine to 1000 wheel. They do have a 8-rib setup but they say you dont need it until 1200hp

Not all Centrifugal S/Cs are ProChargers, however their kits / technology are the most popular so that is the baseline that people compare to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Ooof. Lots of inaccurate information in this post...

1) Centri kit with A2A intercooler and components will weigh almost identical to a PD blower.... - Shipping

2) A centri kit will not grow in efficiency to 8,000 rpm.... it will depend on the blower, inlet path, heads, cam profile, etc etc

3) Hard to keep on boost? Fundamentally you dont understand how the blowers work... centri builds to peak psi towards redline. Higher you spin (again based on variables) the more boost you will get....

4) Saying a PD blower is hard to drive and get traction is beyond ignorant. It’s borderline stupid. Look at graphs of the average 550-650whp P1X/Maggie/Whipple on an LT motor...they are very similar even torque curves. At a certain point they both will need stickier tires... as far as launching, again, at a certain point the Centri’s will need a converter to aid that....

5) Sounds like your friend needs better tires or driving lessons on how to launch a manual car on a non-prepped surface. Either way too many variables to use in an argument of power adders.

6) Your example of upgrading is confusing. Upgrading to a bigger blower also usually comes with the requirement of changing from a 6 rib to a 8 (preferably 10 rib if you are making real power on decent sized blower.) and upgrading cooling options. Also the bracketry is different depending on what kit you start with. Also to address your “one and done” comment about the PD blowers: the 2.3 Maggie, Whipple 2.9, Magnuson 2650, and Edelbrock 2650 have ALL hit 900+whp and the bigger units going easily over 1000+... so yes one and done but 90% of buyers won’t ever need/fund more than 800...

Ultimately each blower setup will need the same steps as you increase power: better belt wrap/grip options/better cooling/better supporting components to push more power. Look at your ultimate power goal and decide from there.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
laynlo15

Its a total weight gain of about 67 lbs, parts taken off were about 17 lbs. Doesn't matter how much it weighs its how good it runs. Got that covered. Everyone has their preference and lots of us prefer the Magnuson PD. We've gotten off track so hopefully the question has been answered and he'll make the right choice.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #22
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
You really can’t go wrong either way. I absolutely love my pro charger and yet I would still try a Magnuson on my next car just to try something different. We are lucky enough to have some great vendors, awesome tuners, and amazing support here with these cars. It is such a good platform. There really is not one from a performance standpoint that is head and shoulders above the rest. Unless maybe you plan on doing some ridiculous 1200+whp build in which case you wouldn’t have even had to make this post because you would probably know what to do. In the end though, the arguing back and fourth is just stupid. They’re all great kits for these cars.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
You really can’t go wrong either way. I absolutely love my pro charger and yet I would still try a Magnuson on my next car just to try something different. We are lucky enough to have some great vendors, awesome tuners, and amazing support here with these cars. It is such a good platform. There really is not one from a performance standpoint that is head and shoulders above the rest. Unless maybe you plan on doing some ridiculous 1200+whp build in which case you wouldn’t have even had to make this post because you would probably know what to do. In the end though, the arguing back and fourth is just stupid. They’re all great kits for these cars.
Totally agree! I spent forever trying to make a blower decision before settling on the Whipple, but feel like I could have just as easily went Maggie or Procharger and still have been happy with the results. It’s great to have so many good choices!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #24
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Totally agree! I spent forever trying to make a blower decision before settling on the Whipple, but feel like I could have just as easily went Maggie or Procharger and still have been happy with the results. It’s great to have so many good choices!
+1 on this one. Smiles per gallon will go through the roof with any of these blowers, I'm sure. OP, do keep us posted on your choice and progress

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
laynlo15

Thumbs up

Agree
Old 07-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I'm bottom 3's 0-60 on a unprepped surface with my Whipple setup. Car drives better then stock. Tire is a 305/35/20 555r. PD doesn't mean no traction. Power down low can be manipulated with timing adjustments.

In 2019 my recommendation is PD or Turbo, but there is no bad choice. The biggest perk for centrifugal is ease of install and ability to return to stock.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #27
laynlo15

Yep, King is rght