#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2022, 01:37 AM   #1
FastFred

Drives: 2022 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE 6sp
ZL1 1LE PDR

Hello y’all.

Just bought a ZL1 1LE, and it didn’t come with a PDR. I couldn’t find one locally with one at the time. I tried calling a few dealerships if they could install it, but all the service writers said it can’t be done? Is there anyway I can have installed on my 2022 ZL1 1LE? Is there a special dealership or certified installer that can do this? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Fred
FastFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:14 AM   #2
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFred View Post
Hello y’all.

Just bought a ZL1 1LE, and it didn’t come with a PDR. I couldn’t find one locally with one at the time. I tried calling a few dealerships if they could install it, but all the service writers said it can’t be done? Is there anyway I can have installed on my 2022 ZL1 1LE? Is there a special dealership or certified installer that can do this? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Fred
You got me there. I'm sorry but I am of no help in the matter, but it is definitely not impossible to get one installed so whatever dealer told you that here in the Bay Area is lying and you may want to reconsider doing business with them if they are either that lacking in knowledge, are lying, or just plain lazy.

I know some of that install entails replacing the HMI (HIM) module underneath the passenger side glove compartment, but that's about all I can tell you about it.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
A few of us here on the forums installed it. It is not a dealer installed item, there are no provisions from GM to add it afterwards. Dealers will say no because they are not authorized to be doing something like that. And if you'd find that one rare dealership that had an open mind to install it, they'll ass rape on labor. Adding it should void the electrical warranty. Search here on the forums for info. I did it on my '22 SS 1LE with a mix of mostly Ebay used parts and new GM parts. The radio module will need reprogrammed.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #4
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
One option is the Garmin Catalyst

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...DR+replacement

Plenty of track rats hopefully will chime in on what's available on the aftermarket that many use.....it's been discussed before

2020 GT350 Heritage Edition-Chassis L0350
2019 ZL1 Summit White M6
2018 Hellcat White Knuckle M6
2016 Hellcat GoMango A8
2002 Dodge Viper Viper Red
2002 Corvette Z06 Millennium Yellow
1998 Dodge Viper Viper Silver Metallic
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #5
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
One option is the Garmin Catalyst

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...DR+replacement

Plenty of track rats hopefully will chime in on what's available on the aftermarket that many use.....it's been discussed before
PDR
AiM Solo 2
Garmin Catalyst
RaceChrono
TrackAddict

I'm content with PDR for now. Good luck trying to get it installed in your car. Sounds feasible from above posts.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:20 AM   #6
FastFred

I am willing to pay someone to install it please lmk. I really thought the dealer could do this because it was an option. but I’m at a stuck situation and I’m willing to pay. Please help a fellow zl1 owner out.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:34 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would go with the aftermarket companies and not f**k up your ZLE especially the warranty part of your car.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #8
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
PDR

So I have the PDR and it was nice for the first few track days but then you realize that the camera quality is not great and the Audio is even worse. I recently bought a windshield mount for my phone and use track addict with a GPS receiver. Camera, and audio are much better and using track addict app gives you the ability to overlay the data just like PDR. Your money would be better spent going after market as there are several options out there as people have noted
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #9
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
So I have the PDR and it was nice for the first few track days but then you realize that the camera quality is not great and the Audio is even worse. I recently bought a windshield mount for my phone and use track addict with a GPS receiver. Camera, and audio are much better and using track addict app gives you the ability to overlay the data just like PDR. Your money would be better spent going after market as there are several options out there as people have noted
I use the PDR less for the audio/video and more for the data you can get via Cosworth.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #10
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I use the PDR less for the audio/video and more for the data you can get via Cosworth.
This.
The data available via Cosworth Toolbox or Pi Toolbox is great. And the PDR audio can be fixed.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post10186701

My test run with the new remote mic:
Old 10-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
BanOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post

I do like the data but I can get he same stuff from and OBDII reader and track addict
Old 10-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
BanOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
This.
The data available via Cosworth Toolbox or Pi Toolbox is great. And the PDR audio can be fixed.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post10186701

My test run with the new remote mic:
Yea I thought about this and saw the posts just seemed like alot of work for something that I can get from my phone. Used it this past weekend with a windshield mount in almost the same location as the PDR camera and mic and significantly less wind noise, could actually hear the car and conversations I was having with my instructor
Old 10-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #13
FastFred

I understand there are aftermarket solutions but I really like the oem option of the automatic recording with voice. I’ve been pulled over (not with the ZLE) It was a decade or so back, and I could not fight the case because I didn’t have any recording of what the officer said/claimed. So I took a loss with that case.

I really believe this factory option is a no nonsense dash cam with data recorder. I really like it. Unfortunately at the time I was looking for a ZL1 1LE there was none around me that was a 6sp manual with a PDR. Plus I don’t like clutter on top of my dash/windshield/cig lighter/armrest/aux outlet. So going with the aftermarket option or wireless OBDII connectivity to phone would be my last resort. I don’t want to power up/plug in/pair/sync anything when I’m in the ZLE (I seen a few peeps calling a ZL1 1LE a ZLE on here and on YT)

I understand the optional price is around $1700~ (for the build your own option) and if anyone feels confident on a one day install I guess I will pay for flight and logging also if need be. I don’t mind voiding my warranty, but even tuning your car or upgrading the blower void the warranty also? I really don’t wanna trade in my ZLE for another new one with one because the upside down trade in would be way more $$$. (Upside down trade in = you owe more than what the vehicle is worth). Messed up thing is I see a Manual 6speed about 120miles from me coming in a couple months, but who knows it could be someone’s pre order.

I guess I’m at a loss. I would really appreciate it if someone could help a fellow Camaro owner out. (I haven’t bought myself a selfish vehicle in 3 purchases, and last 15 years were all work trucks Sonoma,F150,Silverado). I love my ZLE and wish I knew some fellow ZL1 owners out here, and reaching out to the camaro6 forums I was hoping/thinking someone could help me with this.

If mounting a dash cam, garmin, draggy, etc is my only solution then I’m stuck. FML
Old 10-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #14
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
@FastFred......you might be better off considering finding one with PDR and trade or sell and order a '23.....good luck with you endeavor!

2020 GT350 Heritage Edition-Chassis L0350
2019 ZL1 Summit White M6
2018 Hellcat White Knuckle M6
2016 Hellcat GoMango A8
2002 Dodge Viper Viper Red
2002 Corvette Z06 Millennium Yellow
1998 Dodge Viper Viper Silver Metallic
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote