Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #169
dwebb

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS ILE M6
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
He knows, that's why he is so bitter about not having one.
I think you're right. He does sound a little bitter doesn't he! I love the 6 gen in all trims but for my money I'll go with the 1LE every day of the week.

Last edited by dwebb; 12-03-2022 at 06:39 PM.
dwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:55 AM   #170
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
For spirited driving and ocasional track time, the SS handling would be sufficient. For frequent track time you can upgrade to the SS1LE. Both are great cars, it would depend on your needs and $.
Recently I test drove a '22 Camaro SS1LE 6MT, and found no reason to upgrade my Camaro SS2 for one, just for spirited street driving, because it would only increase the cost of consumables (tires, brakes, etc) without any other advantage since the 6th gen Camaro SS already has great handling characteristics. Also for some strange reason I noticed that if I steeped on the gas from low speed, the rear was moving sideways very easy even with wider tires at the rear in about a 60 F temperature.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #171
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Recently I test drove a '22 Camaro SS1LE 6MT, and found no reason to upgrade my Camaro SS2 for one, just for spirited street driving, because it would only increase the cost of consumables (tires, brakes, etc) without any other advantage since the 6th gen Camaro SS already has great handling characteristics. Also for some strange reason I noticed that if I steeped on the gas from low speed, the rear was moving sideways very easy even with wider tires at the rear in about a 60 F temperature.
Wider tires tend to do that more easily when there isn't enough traction, 60° is a bit low for high performance summer tires to got WOT (depends on power level, of course).

I found 1LE spec wheels/tires more capable even on the street, you can definitely have better turn-in and more lateral acceleration with those. I was only able to push the stock 2SS sized tires to about 0.95g before the tires started squealing, while I was able to do 1.15g on my current 1LE setup without the tires even chirping (both using Michelin PS4S tires).

The actual limit is certainly well beyond what I want (dare) to do on public roads, but it's not true that 1LE wheels/tires make no difference on the street. As an added perk, they also look killer, those wheels are the best ever, and meaty rear tires are just yum.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #172
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
It all depends on what you need. For someone like me who drives maybe 2,500 miles a year on the weekends and to shows, the 1LE would really be a $7,000 appearance package. Like others above said, on public roads you will never need anything close to those brakes or handling capabilities. Even the tire compound is excessive, although I will say that the wheels are awesome looking and the rear size would be nice for traction.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:10 AM   #173
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I'm looking to get rid of my Mustang here soon and pick up a Camaro but I'm having trouble deciding which trim to get. The car will most likely never see a track or drag strip, but there are a couple very tight and twisty backroads that I like to carve on the weekends. And of course the occasional highway roll.

In my area I'm seeing used 1LE's going in the high $39k range (which I find ridiculous but I digress), while I've found a couple 1SS trims around $32k. 2SS is somewhere in the middle but I don't really need the creature comforts and I'd like to keep the weight down.

So my question is, is the handling on the 1LE that much different compared to the 1SS that it justifies an extra $6k - $7k in the used market? If I bought a 1SS, got wider wheels, and did springs, bushings, and sway bar with the money I saved will the handling be better/comparable? Or should I just suck it up and get the 1LE?

Not worth it to me. I never plan to track my car. But the magnaride is worth it. Put Magride in track mode and you will be able to hit tight curves and ramps completely flat with no lean. The back end will come loose before it leans.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #174
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Mine does that with my SS 6 spd even with all season tires. These cars seem to get a little more power with age and Im am getting close to 67k miles.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #175
m1cha3l

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I'm looking to get rid of my Mustang here soon and pick up a Camaro but I'm having trouble deciding which trim to get. The car will most likely never see a track or drag strip, but there are a couple very tight and twisty backroads that I like to carve on the weekends. And of course the occasional highway roll.

In my area I'm seeing used 1LE's going in the high $39k range (which I find ridiculous but I digress), while I've found a couple 1SS trims around $32k. 2SS is somewhere in the middle but I don't really need the creature comforts and I'd like to keep the weight down.

So my question is, is the handling on the 1LE that much different compared to the 1SS that it justifies an extra $6k - $7k in the used market? If I bought a 1SS, got wider wheels, and did springs, bushings, and sway bar with the money I saved will the handling be better/comparable? Or should I just suck it up and get the 1LE?
While I do not own a 1LE I do own a 2SS with some options such as mag ride and I test drove a 1 SS without blind spot monitoring.

Mag ride is so nice to have and I would be really annoyed if I couldn't change the settings and only had one to live with.

Blind spot monitoring is really really nice to have as the visibility in this car leaves much to be desired.

I dont know if this helps but I also decided against 1LE package as I wont track the car but will drag strip it next year now that it's broken in.

Also 1LE brembo replacement cost is quite high vs 2SS brakes.
Tires are also more narrow on a 2SS.

Hopefully I got my facts right so please correct me if they are wrong.
m1cha3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #176
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I can't imagine a case where someone would "upgrade" from a SS to a SS 1LE, since you can build out an SS as a better track vehicle by putting more money into it and not facing the instant depreciation of buying a new car. Make no mistake, the 1LE is a significantly better track animal stock and doesn't need anything but tires and consumables, but if you are really serious about tracking, you are going to do things like coil-overs, aftermarket sways and end-links, smaller wheels diameter, better brake pads and possibly upgraded brakes, take out the rear seats, and a bunch other stuff that will get you either a better track animal or at least one that's "in the noise" as far as how close it is.

But either having a V6 or no Camaro, the 1LE is a great car to consider getting outright.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:08 PM   #177
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I can't imagine a case where someone would "upgrade" from a SS to a SS 1LE, since you can build out an SS as a better track vehicle by putting more money into it and not facing the instant depreciation of buying a new car. Make no mistake, the 1LE is a significantly better track animal stock and doesn't need anything but tires and consumables, but if you are really serious about tracking, you are going to do things like coil-overs, aftermarket sways and end-links, smaller wheels diameter, better brake pads and possibly upgraded brakes, take out the rear seats, and a bunch other stuff that will get you either a better track animal or at least one that's "in the noise" as far as how close it is.

But either having a V6 or no Camaro, the 1LE is a great car to consider getting outright.
I'd suggest the SS 1LE is all you'd need to do road course events (not a super souped up SS). Is your view possibly being shaped by your experience with autoX (your past posts mentioned you don't do road course tracks)?

Most of the people running road course don't upgrade more than just the break pads and maybe the wheels/tires. Why, because the 1LE already does very well in that environment. AutoX guys on the other hand are the ones typically changing Camaro sway bars to aftermarket and getting more into suspension changes. I haven't done autoX, but the forum and other info on-line makes it seem to me that it tends to demand more aggressive inputs and perhaps more aggressive suspensions than you can find OEM. Or maybe the aftermarket upgrading is just the result of the competitive nature of autoX and wanting all the edge you can get over the next guy.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #178
Hack

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I recently bought my LT1 and I've been pleasantly surprised at how firm the suspension is. Body motions are well controlled. I was considering a 1LE, but a similar age used 1LE was $15K more. Since my other car is already modified for the track, I guess at least one of my cars should be "practical".
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #179
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I recently bought my LT1 and I've been pleasantly surprised at how firm the suspension is. Body motions are well controlled. I was considering a 1LE, but a similar age used 1LE was $15K more. Since my other car is already modified for the track, I guess at least one of my cars should be "practical".
Yah, I hear you. The 1LE can be made to be practical (suspension for DD), but I think you first need to swap out to 19 wheels with tires a little more suited to wet and cooler weather. I notice a huge difference over bumps and in the wet between my 19" Conti ECS DD set up and the OEM 20" F1 SC3 tires that I save for the track.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #180
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
What you can't make up for in the non-1LE is the rear e-diff and PTM modes, and ABS calibration for the much grippier SC3 tires... none of which matter on the street.

OTOH, you are getting a lot for that $7k. The wheel and tire package alone is a lot of cash, so are the brakes, and pad costs don't matter, they'll last years on the street. The splitter, spoiler and satin black hood all look nice too. Then add Recaro seats, HUD, Magride, short throw shifter, FE4 vs FE3 suspension, higher resale value... it might be worth the upgrade even if you don't track it.

In either case you'll want different tires and even better, wheels too, for street use. 1LE's SC3 are more track oriented, non-1LE are super heavy run-flats.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:17 AM   #181
Hack

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Yah, I hear you. The 1LE can be made to be practical (suspension for DD), but I think you first need to swap out to 19 wheels with tires a little more suited to wet and cooler weather. I notice a huge difference over bumps and in the wet between my 19" Conti ECS DD set up and the OEM 20" F1 SC3 tires that I save for the track.
Yes, I don't think there would be any problems running especially a magride car year round. Tires should be enough to do the job. The problem is more going the other way - no way would the LT1 stay cool for very long on track.

My biggest surprise that I thought was relevant to this thread coming from the Ford world is that the lowest option V8 Camaro actually has springs and shocks set up for decent performance rather than the mushiest, softest springs and shocks possible like a Mustang would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
What you can't make up for in the non-1LE is the rear e-diff and PTM modes, and ABS calibration for the much grippier SC3 tires... none of which matter on the street.

OTOH, you are getting a lot for that $7k. The wheel and tire package alone is a lot of cash, so are the brakes, and pad costs don't matter, they'll last years on the street. The splitter, spoiler and satin black hood all look nice too. Then add Recaro seats, HUD, Magride, short throw shifter, FE4 vs FE3 suspension, higher resale value... it might be worth the upgrade even if you don't track it.

In either case you'll want different tires and even better, wheels too, for street use. 1LE's SC3 are more track oriented, non-1LE are super heavy run-flats.
I agree you get a lot with the 1LE package and I bet it's great. I probably shouldn't have been surprised there was a $15K premium over my LT1 for a local 1LE example. I would have by far preferred to buy the 1LE for possible future track use, but I couldn't justify the additional expense.

I'm planning to remove the rubber air dam under the LT1 to try to improve ground clearance. I think the air dam will make it more difficult to get through deep snow.

I noticed that the 18 inch rims I bought for snow tires soften the ride and reduced NVH significantly over the factory 20s that came on my LT1. Mine didn't have the run flats on it, there were cheap brand snows in the rear and somewhat worn all seasons in the front. I'm considering replacing those as well or possibly going to wider 18s for summer use. I may just stick with a good all season though as it's nice to have one car with tires that are easy to drive on no matter the weather.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote