Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-18-2022, 10:10 AM   #15
Fiyero88

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT
It takes about two weeks for the engineer to build it, then about 2-3 weeks for shipping lol. It took a while to get mine but it was worth it to me. The stock camaro radios are trash, the display is tiny, there's no options and my sound, sounds awesome now that I have a 32 equalizer dsp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGenNut View Post
IF it works I will be saying the same about my factory radio. But it sounds youre saying they are junk in a nice way.

Still hasn't shipped. I hate waiting.
Fiyero88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #16
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGenNut View Post
IF it works I will be saying the same about my factory radio. But it sounds youre saying they are junk in a nice way.

Still hasn't shipped. I hate waiting.
Not "junk" per se, but just high failure rates. It's way too cheap for what you're getting, so you get what you pay for. No useful manual, no tech support, good luck warranty, etc. But when it works it's decent.

Lots of tech but a super cheap version of it, i.e. very low quality audio components. Fairly noisy when you add amps.

I run JL Audio VXi amps to get my DSP and sound quality. I just need a clean signal in.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #17
Fiyero88

It's actually not junk I own it, it's installed in my 2018 Camaro. It made the junk Chevy audio 1,000times better. It also has a better build quality than the Chevrolet one. It also added about 20 more features not to mention browsing the internet, DAC audio, USB ports, DAB, Netflix, Amazon Music Unlimited, Real Google Maps but my favorite feature is the Google assistant, I can now access and open everything with my voice in my car so it's less distracting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Not "junk" per se, but just high failure rates. It's way too cheap for what you're getting, so you get what you pay for. No useful manual, no tech support, good luck warranty, etc. But when it works it's decent.

Lots of tech but a super cheap version of it, i.e. very low quality audio components. Fairly noisy when you add amps.

I run JL Audio VXi amps to get my DSP and sound quality. I just need a clean signal in.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #18
Fiyero88

I'll post more pictures once I install the AHD 1080p backup camera, it's out for delivery today.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
Fiyero88

Here's a few more screenshots from it, it's running Android 11
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 PM   #20
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
What would be more interesting to me is a direct screen upgrade to a 10” housing that keeps the OEM radio. More reliable, keeps my PDR features, but gives a bit more real estate to work with.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #21
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
shame it can't use your stock camera. feel like that is a loss.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #22
Fiyero88

It can in fact use the stock camera, the stock camera is soo horrible I couldn't wait to rip it out and put in a AHD camera. The stock camera at best is like 480 TVI. I now have a 1080P 30FPS camera with a Sony Starvis sensor I can literally see everything especially at night. The radio does have the option of using the stock camera there's a yellow rca plug in the main harness for it but the stock camera is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
shame it can't use your stock camera. feel like that is a loss.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #23
Fiyero88

Also if you're worried about having to remove your entire rear bumper to access the camera you don't have to. I removed the trunk button and the liscence plate light and it allowed me access to the camera housing clips and I simply unclipped it, ripped the trash camera out of the plastic housing, put a new camera into the plastic housing and snapped it back in. Was a pretty simple mod. I also toyed with two different new camera and stuck with a 135 degree view as the fisheye effect wasn't something I cared for. The radio also retains backup mirror so now I have a backup mirror camera, a backup radio camera and a front bumper camera so all the angles are covered. You can also hook up two turn signal cameras but I feel like that's overkill since the reverse mirror camera is a 180 degree view of my backend I can see all lanes of traffic.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #24
Fiyero88

Here's a little longer video of me going through some of the apps I have installed. I'm installing My Chevrolet right now. It was important to me to get Amazon Music Unlimited installed as all my downloaded music is on there. I also wanted wireless android auto as I just wanna get in my car and be instantly connected so that's setup now too. The headunit has a feature you can purchase before they make it that allows wireless android auto and Apple carplay. I also love the new 32 Band equalizer with DSP. I haven't set that up yet as 32 bands is alot ot get right lol. https://youtu.be/3nc6Dlosdhc
Old 11-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #25
jacekpuzio

Drives: Camaro 2.0T 2020
Will it fit 2020 Camaro? I’ve heard that 2020 has redesigned harness so the plugs are different.
jacekpuzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #26
Fiyero88

I don't think so, it's really only for 2016-2018 Camaro. I'm not entirely sure how it would handle Bose systems but it would work for non factory and factory 6 speaker systems. It turns on my factory amp just fine via the trigger wire built into the display. They somehow reverse engineered the Camaro and got all of its CANBUS related codes deciphered I believe via GMLAN or similar protocol. I think the newer cars are using a different protocol but I could be wrong. Either way I know thw wiring schematics are greatly different between IOB and IO5/6 and by the year starting after 2019 so it might be a while before anything comes out.

QUOTE=jacekpuzio;11254812]Will it fit 2020 Camaro? I’ve heard that 2020 has redesigned harness so the plugs are different.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #27
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero88 View Post
It's actually not junk I own it, it's installed in my 2018 Camaro. It made the junk Chevy audio 1,000times better. It also has a better build quality than the Chevrolet one. It also added about 20 more features not to mention browsing the internet, DAC audio, USB ports, DAB, Netflix, Amazon Music Unlimited, Real Google Maps but my favorite feature is the Google assistant, I can now access and open everything with my voice in my car so it's less distracting to me.
I referred to actual build quality, you're just listing features. Yes, android head units have a lot of features but cost way less than they should, hence it is hit and miss with longevity and they do use low-quality internal components to hit that price point. This has been the case for the last decade of popular android head units. My BSEE was in analog and digital circuit design and I repair consumer audio electronics for fun. For example, you can look up the datasheet and cost of the DACs, opamps, and chips to get an understanding of what they used and where they fall on the quality spectrum. Most have the same guts and are form-fit to the specific vehicle. The form-fitment is a brilliant idea and the end aesthetic is great. Boot times are usually longer than a fully-tested product from major manufacturers. A lot of corners are cut for R&D and QA/QC and there no long-term product support. This is why you see mostly either 5 star and 1 star reviews on this style of head unit because they either work great or they don't work.

As far as your specific case, I sincerely hope your head unit has a long, bug-free life.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:10 AM   #28
Fiyero88

They're not cheap anymore it cost $600.I also researched the components and they are pretty good. Especially the processor. I also have a android radio on my 2003 Pt Cruiser that runs as good as the day I bought it(5 years ago) I'm not sure why people assume all of them are cheap. This actual unit was over $600 if you Google TS10 you can see some of the new headunits coming out of China. They have 360 degree camera systems in their MCU's also this particular one for the Camaro has two built in microphones, built is DSP and Amp ect. I agree I've seen people have headaches with units but if you Google this forum, you'll see that Chevrolet LG headunits in the camaro also have headaches and failure rates. It's just part of the electronic universe. This unit seems to get regular updates to both the software and hardware(MCU) this newest update added even more features such as mic gain controls, Optical TOSLINK connection(there is a optical port in the back as well as added a few new features to the Camaros canbus such as automatic front window defrost as well as rear window defrost. I'm hoping a newer update will allow HVAC controls from the screen we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I referred to actual build quality, you're just listing features. Yes, android head units have a lot of features but cost way less than they should, hence it is hit and miss with longevity and they do use low-quality internal components to hit that price point. This has been the case for the last decade of popular android head units. My BSEE was in analog and digital circuit design and I repair consumer audio electronics for fun. For example, you can look up the datasheet and cost of the DACs, opamps, and chips to get an understanding of what they used and where they fall on the quality spectrum. Most have the same guts and are form-fit to the specific vehicle. The form-fitment is a brilliant idea and the end aesthetic is great. Boot times are usually longer than a fully-tested product from major manufacturers. A lot of corners are cut for R&D and QA/QC and there no long-term product support. This is why you see mostly either 5 star and 1 star reviews on this style of head unit because they either work great or they don't work.

As far as your specific case, I sincerely hope your head unit has a long, bug-free life.

Tags
10inch, android, headunit, upgrade