Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
Camarofan01

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Camaro Vibration...frustrated.

Hello -

Bit of a double-post...I posted this in the Camaro5 forum before seeing Camaro 6 one...

First post here I've owned (2nd owner) my 2017 Camaro SS 3 months now. Had a blast with it so far, but getting frustrated with a vibration issue that the Chevy Dealer close to me has been unable to diagnose.

While accelerating, at any speed, or maintaining speed by having my foot on the gas or using cruise control, my Camaro has short vibrations. The entire car vibrates for 2-3 seconds, then stops, then a few seconds later it vibrates again. It's not a vibration that make the car wobble violently, but it's like running over the rumble stripes on the shoulder of the road, but lighter.

If I step off the gas peddle or shut off cruise control while the vibration is occurring, it stops immediately. If I driving fast enough and let off the gas and coast for a bit, it doesn't happen.

Another observation is that the car will drive for a bit with no vibration, but once the first vibration happens, it continues to happen frequently.

Not sure if I am going crazy, but it seems like when the vibration occurs, the RPM pointer jumps slightly, then goes back down when the vibration ends.

Pretty sure it's not the tires since the vibration doesn't occur when I let of the gas and coast.

The usual karma, the dealership said they didn't feel the vibration while driving it.

It's getting to the point where I'm not enjoying driving this car because the vibration happens on and off pretty much every time I drive it now.

Any guesses as to what is going on? Or ideas I can suggest to the dealership to check?

Thank you!
Camarofan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan01 View Post
Hello -

Bit of a double-post...I posted this in the Camaro5 forum before seeing Camaro 6 one...

First post here I've owned (2nd owner) my 2017 Camaro SS 3 months now. Had a blast with it so far, but getting frustrated with a vibration issue that the Chevy Dealer close to me has been unable to diagnose.

While accelerating, at any speed, or maintaining speed by having my foot on the gas or using cruise control, my Camaro has short vibrations. The entire car vibrates for 2-3 seconds, then stops, then a few seconds later it vibrates again. It's not a vibration that make the car wobble violently, but it's like running over the rumble stripes on the shoulder of the road, but lighter.

If I step off the gas peddle or shut off cruise control while the vibration is occurring, it stops immediately. If I driving fast enough and let off the gas and coast for a bit, it doesn't happen.

Another observation is that the car will drive for a bit with no vibration, but once the first vibration happens, it continues to happen frequently.

Not sure if I am going crazy, but it seems like when the vibration occurs, the RPM pointer jumps slightly, then goes back down when the vibration ends.

Pretty sure it's not the tires since the vibration doesn't occur when I let of the gas and coast.

The usual karma, the dealership said they didn't feel the vibration while driving it.

It's getting to the point where I'm not enjoying driving this car because the vibration happens on and off pretty much every time I drive it now.

Any guesses as to what is going on? Or ideas I can suggest to the dealership to check?

Thank you!
You have the infamous "A8 Shudder"... It is caused by a problem with your torque converter, there are a ton of threads on it here...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=Shudder

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=Shudder
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Sounds like shudder. If it has the A8 then get it checked out at a dealer that deals with A8 shudder.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Camarofan01

Thanks for the replies. It is an automatic and has just under 7K miles on it. I'll check out the A8 shudder threads!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
This A8 shudder is extremely common unfortunately. It should've been listed on the window sticker when buying anything with the GM A8 lol
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Camarofan01

I'm starting to think mine might be an A10. Is it safe to assume the same problem exists with it as the A8's?

Looking through my documentation that came with the car to confirm it's an A10, but not seeing it yet.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

You have a 2017 SS right? If so, it's an A8
Old 09-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
Camarofan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
You have a 2017 SS right? If so, it's an A8
Yes, it's a 2017 SS. Thank your confirming A8. I will be calling the dealership tomorrow morning!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Yes, it's a 2017 SS. Thank your confirming A8. I will be calling the dealership tomorrow morning!
And here is the thing....even if you don't have the A8 shudder at the moment (you most likely do though) you should still get the latest fluid and flush procedure done as good preventive maintenance.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
I'm starting to think mine might be an A10. Is it safe to assume the same problem exists with it as the A8's?

Looking through my documentation that came with the car to confirm it's an A10, but not seeing it yet.
The A10 wasn't introduced in the SS until the 2019 model year, your 2017 is VERY definitely an A8...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 09-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Wait, you've had the car for 3 months and not sure if you have an 8 speed or 10? You never once put it in manual mode and shifted with paddles? Or like read the brochure? Not hating but this is pretty weird lol. Weirder still though, is the dealer not knowing instantly what is by far the most common auto Camaro problem, and not using the right instrument to pick up on it while driving, which should've immediately given results.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeusAscended View Post
Wait, you've had the car for 3 months and not sure if you have an 8 speed or 10? You never once put it in manual mode and shifted with paddles? Or like read the brochure? Not hating but this is pretty weird lol. Weirder still though, is the dealer not knowing instantly what is by far the most common auto Camaro problem, and not using the right instrument to pick up on it while driving, which should've immediately given results.
Hey, but it was diagnosed here in just 7 minutes and that is without ever seeing or touching the car...

Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #13
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Yes it is the infamous shudder problem. Take it to the dealer, tell them what it is doing and have it flushed with the new fluid
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #14
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
2017 was a bad year for the A8 shudder. I bought a brand new 2017 RS and it had exactly what you describe. At the time there was really no fix- they tried flushing, etc. The car spent more time at the dealership that I did driving it. Mine had it so bad it was like driving over rumble strips, shaking the entire car.