Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Is yours manual or auto?
Auto
Old 10-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Remember to set your drive mode to snow/ice each time you start it. That puts your traction and stability controls to their most aggressive state.

It actually works quite well. I bought my car the last week of Feb and the week I brought it home there was residual ice on my driveway. Pulling in I could feel the back end slide and I was going nowhere. Changed it to snow/ice and it dug right in smooth and straight.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
Thanks! Sorry for the dumb question!
Not a dumb question if you don’t know the answer. The dumb thing would have been to not ask and drive normally and damage your car.

It’s a brotherhood of a Camaro lovers here. Sorry if anyone made you feel otherwise.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #18
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Well it can certainly hurt summer tires, but maybe not the stock SS tires. Don't quote me on that. (*edit* I missed that the page from the manual was posted above)

Many high performance summer tires, like the SS 1LE/ZL1 stock Goodyears have a warning about cracking if they are under 40 degrees. I have Michelin PS4Ss that I remove and store indoors once the morning drive temps are below ~45 degrees. I run stock LS/LT Goodyear all-seasons until it warms up in the Spring.

If you know you're going to need all-seasons in November, just buy them now.
cracking potential is actually under 20°, but yes they really suck under 40

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #19
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
You will be fine if you drive it like a sane person and take caution by starting off slightly slower from a stand still and let the tires get some heat into them. The issue is limited traction, and potential for cracking the edges of the tires due to extreme cold temps (your forecasted temps are below this). Also, you will find the ride quality will suffer some because the tires will feel hard as concrete. None of these issues will be insurmountable for the short time you will be using this car if you swap the tires out in Nov. As far as engine issues due to cold temps, you have nothing to worry about there. The car has a snow/ice mode that you can select for severe weather conditions so GM has this figured out for you already. They anticipated these cars to be used by some owners in frigid climates. It'll be just fine. Some guys even buy a used set of spare wheels with winter tires they use for the colder times of year and keep their summer set ups for spring / summer months. Another option for you to consider.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #20
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Besides the good advice on driving style you should know that that's not per se that that's not the real problem with driving summer tires in freezing temps. It's that the rubber hardens in those temps and leads to the reduced traction as stated, but it's the flexing of being driven that can damage the tire when it's in that hardened state. Of course you need to do it repeatedly and a few times isn't going to hurt.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #21
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Cold weather affects OEM tires like kryptonite affects Superman.

OEM tires help make your car a force to be reckoned with, when it’s warm and dry.

Wet roads, or cold weather emasculate your car (when wearing OEM tires).

All seasons take away some performance (relative to OEM tires when it’s warm and dry) but give significantly improved performance under less than ideal situations.

Unless you live somewhere that has a warm dry climate most of the time, or plan to track your car regularly, you’ll be better off with a good set of all seasons. The performance you lose will be at margins you’re unlikely to reach during street driving.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #22
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Just have to be really really careful because it's easy to get squirrelly and loose traction, like driving on ice.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #23
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not a dumb question if you don’t know the answer. The dumb thing would have been to not ask and drive normally and damage your car.

It’s a brotherhood of a Camaro lovers here. Sorry if anyone made you feel otherwise.
Great post. I've been involved with several forums and there are always those that ruin the fun. Hate seems to spread easier than support . I would rather see someone who shares the love of a car, asking "dumb" questions to be safe... rather than the opposite.

OP - As others have said...drive the car civilly and you will be fine. Motors love cool air, particularly performance ones...once they are up to operating temp. My main concern would be to get everything on the car warmed up before driving with spirit
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Great post. I've been involved with several forums and there are always those that ruin the fun. Hate seems to spread easier than support . I would rather see someone who shares the love of a car, asking "dumb" questions to be safe... rather than the opposite.

OP - As others have said...drive the car civilly and you will be fine. Motors love cool air, particularly performance ones...once they are up to operating temp. My main concern would be to get everything on the car warmed up before driving with spirit
Yeah I don’t have a problem with people asking any questions on here at all. That’s what we’re all here for. Even if it’s a simple one.

I see people go all “use the search function” and “read your owners manual” and it’s like dude, just answer the question if you know the answer and if you don’t just don’t say a thing. It’s not that hard.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
So my Camaro is brand new and I wasn’t planning on getting the all season tires until November but now it looks like the weathers going to be 34° early in the morning next week and it’ll warm up to 60° during the day. If I drive my Camaro with the summer tires in this kind of weather will it hurt the engine or Car? All I’m doing is a normal drive to work nothing crazy.
As long as the weather is dry (and you're not running into patches of frost in the morning) it is possible to drive at those temperatures on summer performance rubber.

But you do have to be careful with the throttle, particularly if you're making a turn from a full stop when the transmission will be in a lower gear. Drive like Miss Daisy is your passenger.

The suggestion to use snow/wet mode (or whatever other name it might be known as) is well made. Dialing back throttle response, whether all by yourself or with electronic assistance, is your friend here. Pedal Commanders and similar devices that exaggerate throttle response are your enemies.

As also noted, Michelin's PS All-Season 3+ is one of the go-to choices as far as not giving up too much warm weather performance to get better all season capability.

Norm
Old 10-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #26
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Thanks! Sorry for the dumb question!
Their is no dumb question. How else would you learn?
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #27
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
I switched to AS3+ for all-weather.
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #28
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
All I’m doing is a normal drive to work nothing crazy.
So the issue is what temp will the tires be at? If you garage the car the tires will be warm when you pull out and go to work in the morning. They will stay warm from the friction of driving unless freezing rain or snow cools them.
If it is cold during the day and your car is outside, you will start your drive home with cold tires, which is potentially dangerous.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote