Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2024, 12:17 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
MCS Coilover 2 way adjustable vs Mag Ride Review

Got to the track for the first time since installing MCS 2 way adjustable non remote res Coilovers on my 2018 Camaro ZL1 that already has every SPL suspension part available installed, adjustable sway bars (currently set a 50% stiffer than stock) along with 800hp (via Mag 2650 R SC and LT Headers) and upgraded brakes. The MCS coilovers also allowed me to go from a 305 on a 11 inch wheel to a 325 on a 12 inch wheel upfront.

By the end of the season, I was hoping to eventually gain 1 second on my pb 1:19.4 lap a a small tight and technical 19 turn track designed by Formula 1 track designers, that the former lead instructor who used to be a back up F1 car driver said is top 3 difficulty vs the over 100 tracks he has driven on in Europe. So keep in mind this is on a very corner heavy track where Porsche GT4's and GT3's dominate. I used sport 2 mode since I just installed the ZLE traction control module which is much more aggressive than the ZL1 traction control module I'm used to, and again, a lot of horse power for a small track...

QUANTITATIVE RESULTS

After one small adjustment of the suspension for corner entry oversteer I ended up not being able to resist two battles with the fastest Porsche GT4 there (only one is on video) and well much to my surprise, on the first day alone, without even braking late and deep (I'm still relearning my driving style after flying off the track about 5 times do to ice mode caused by Hawk DCT 70 pads and me stomping on the brakes too hard and quickly) I'm already officially at 1:18.1 on a cool track day and despite two obvious throttle happy oversteer driving errors.

In fact, I'm sure I was probably in the 1:17's because the session before, the same Porsche GT4 I was following before I started recording with my PDR said his lap was a 1:17.7. My previous best 1:19.4 was on a warmer day (but not too hot so I'm thinking better traction) and no throttle induced oversteer mistakes.

This leaves little doubt that I'll be in the 1:17's next time I'm out (assuming I have a mistake free lap and brake deeper and later) and I expect to be in the low 1:17's eventually this season, which would be a full 2 seconds plus gain in lap time per lap from these coilovers plus the wider front tires they allow for!

QUALITATIVE RESULTS

Gone is the floating feeling from the mag ride when going over bumps and dips and the car is much more planted with less body roll as also noted by track side observers.

A great example of this is the fact that I can now take corner number one at virtually full throttle without sliding (as per the video especially on the 2nd lap) where as previously the car would lurch/slide at 180 km/h and I would go to maintenance throttle, but now it no it no longer does.

VIDS BELOW

With Coilovers and two throttle induced oversteer mistakes on a cool day

With Mag Ride and no throttle induced oversteer mistakes on a warm day

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 04-11-2024 at 12:13 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:43 AM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Nice! Just got mine installed, still needs corner balance/alignment so haven't driven it much yet, but it feels like a new car! I'm in CO, we've got snow recently but there's autox events starting in a couple weeks and some track days at HPR not too far out.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:22 AM   #3
GunMetalGrey

I guess the lack of responses just shows that nobody who is serious about the track was using mag ride anyways... ?
Old 04-04-2024, 10:23 AM   #4
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Nice! Just got mine installed, still needs corner balance/alignment so haven't driven it much yet, but it feels like a new car! I'm in CO, we've got snow recently but there's autox events starting in a couple weeks and some track days at HPR not too far out.
Would be happy to exchange any setting info, though I imagine it would be very track / event specific
Old 04-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #5
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Would be happy to exchange any setting info, though I imagine it would be very track / event specific
Yeah, I emailed MCS and Vorshlag to see if they can get me baseline settings for ax and track. I hope to get an alignment next week.

I went with the RR2s and 750/850 lb springs with springs on the shock out back. About the same as a 1200 lb spring in oem location. Hotchkis ft and ZLE rear roll bars set in the middle.

Remote Res were a PITA, I probably spent as much time figuring out where to put them as I did with installing the rest. Pic is right above the rear wheel wells...

Old 04-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #6
GunMetalGrey

Nice! I emailed them too, but they didn’t give me anything.

I set everything at 2/3’s of the way to maximum and went from there. I noticed I had corner entry oversteer so I cranked front compression to max and that solved it. I left everything else the same since I did not want to increase rear rebound and potentially lose traction.

That’s based off of one day of tracking, though maybe I’ll find new information next time out. Adjustable swaybar set to medium middle level front camber -3.5 and rear camber -2.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:16 PM   #7
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
It's really nice to have the capability to fine tune your suspension, and to see those changes actually show up in the performance of the car. I've been eyeing those MCS 2 way remotes for about 4 years now, even though I don't really need them. The results are proven over OEM suspension. I'm trying to wait until I feel like I've reached the limit of what my current setup can do before spending that money.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I had no real complaints with Magride, but I've also never tried MCS. The only reason I went away from Magride to the ZLE DSSV is because of body lean causing tire rubbing on A7's @ 315(No issues with less sticky tires). The DSSV's don't make the car any faster or slower compared to Magride, it's just a bit stiffer and maybe rotates slightly better on power.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:05 PM   #9
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I had no real complaints with Magride, but I've also never tried MCS. The only reason I went away from Magride to the ZLE DSSV is because of body lean causing tire rubbing on A7's @ 315(No issues with less sticky tires). The DSSV's don't make the car any faster or slower compared to Magride, it's just a bit stiffer and maybe rotates slightly better on power.
Interesting, I've heard others say basically the same thing, marginal lap time improvement and mostly psychological and confidence increases... What kind of track are you on? I'm "shocked" at the quantitative difference it has made on my car, though as I mentioned it is a very technical, tight course with LOTS of corners... I would think that the DSSV set up would have also helped my cars lap time at this track, but not sure how much less the difference would be and how much of that difference would have been because of the wider front tires allowed with the MCS... I should also reiterate my camber went from -2.7 to -3.5 in the front with the camber plates
Old 04-04-2024, 04:37 PM   #10
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Interesting, I've heard others say basically the same thing, marginal lap time improvement and mostly psychological and confidence increases... What kind of track are you on? I'm "shocked" at the quantitative difference it has made on my car, though as I mentioned it is a very technical, tight course with LOTS of corners... I would think that the DSSV set up would have also helped my cars lap time at this track, but not sure how much less the difference would be and how much of that difference would have been because of the wider front tires allowed with the MCS... I should also reiterate my camber went from -2.7 to -3.5 in the front with the camber plates
I've basically stayed at around -3.1 camber on all my different setups and so far I've driven the DSSV's at Roebling Road, CMP, VIR, Road Atlanta. All very comparable to magride with the same tires and similar weather.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:47 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i did the 1 ways so less work and adjustments but still turned out awesome full spl parts kit and afe swaybars really helps and got the car dialed in within 2 track days also

-3.5f -2.5 r camber feels amazing and i usually run 20x10 20x11 285 305 tires but i also have a set of apex wheels 19x11 19x12 305 325 and those fit also with no issues and very lil poke
Old 04-04-2024, 06:40 PM   #12
DaveC113

Magride is amazing, but I don't do that much highway cruising and I have a decent tolerance for a stiff suspension. I'm fine with the MCS suspension, it's not as bad riding as most might think, but bumps and potholes can be harsh.

The biggest issue with Magride for me is the very soft spring rates. I'm running 4.5x oem front rates and 2.5x rear. The car takes a set faster and settles down from a dip or bump faster. The roll bars are doing less vs the springs, the suspension angles don't change as much as the car doesn't use as much suspension travel. Overall the car reacts faster and has more grip in most circumstances.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:35 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I guess the lack of responses just shows that nobody who is serious about the track was using mag ride anyways... ?
Quality aftermarket coil overs are always better. OEM shocks are made cheaply for mass-production, pretty much no matter the type. While the mag-ride is really good for OEM...it ain't coil overs.

I've had some pretty amazing drives with high end coil overs with relatively limited suspension travel...but suspension quality was pretty amazing.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:03 AM   #14
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I just completed my install of RR 2 ways. Corner balance and alignment are done. Will be tuning and track testing Saturday with a "expert" setup guy.
Attached Images