Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
My thoughts on an electric Camaro, and electric cars in general:

F*CK THAT SH*T.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
The problem will sort itself out.

Picture this: they release 2 SS models, the SS which is a small block V8, slightly better performance that what we have now, and an SSE, same car with an electric motor.

Unless the price is drastically higher for the SSE, who would actually buy the ICE SS? The electric will better it in every single performance metric. Maybe a few enthusiasts that want the soul and sound of a V8? That's niche market territory. I love my V8, my long tube headers, and my manual 6 speed. It has soul, and it sounds like a demon. Just cranking it makes my day better and I love watching heads turn when I blip the throttle. Would I choose it over the same car with an electric that is a full second faster 0-60 and can run an 11s 1/4 off the showroom floor? Nope.

The only possible preference for an ICE would be in a turbo 4 for the auto-x guys, but that's such a small market, I can't see GM developing a model for it unless it could bleed over into the fleet market.
Do you race your Camaro? I ask because you seem quick to dismiss your car for one that would be quicker. And in that case there are current electric options that you didn't choose when buying your Camaro. Maybe the sound, soul and shifting of gears mean more to you than you realize.

Listen I get it. The push for electric cars is on and I'm not opposed to it. Every vanilla commuter car in the world can go electric for all I care. There are some internal combustion engines that are worthy of living on, and should.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
The problem will sort itself out.

Would I choose it over the same car with an electric that is a full second faster 0-60 and can run an 11s 1/4 off the showroom floor? Nope.

The only possible preference for an ICE would be in a turbo 4 for the auto-x guys, but that's such a small market, I can't see GM developing a model for it unless it could bleed over into the fleet market.

If the new electric car had superior straight line performance but overheated at the track, or had a crippling track mode, i'd get the track rated ICE car. The current Camaro in SS or 1le form is the only car i know of the manufacture has openly warrantied tracked cars. I hope they maintain that focus on a potential electric version.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Unless the price is drastically higher for the SSE, who would actually buy the ICE SS? The electric will better it in every single performance metric. Maybe a few enthusiasts that want the soul and sound of a V8? That's niche market territory.
I'm a lot skeptical about that 'every metric' part. Even before getting into the matter of how rapidly a powerful EV's weight will drive its tires to greasyness in a road course environment. Sound is a secondary consideration, but still present even though I don't want loud.

Quote:
I love my V8, my long tube headers, and my manual 6 speed. It has soul, and it sounds like a demon. Just cranking it makes my day better and I love watching heads turn when I blip the throttle. Would I choose it over the same car with an electric that is a full second faster 0-60 and can run an 11s 1/4 off the showroom floor? Nope.
Here, the difference between you and me is that I'd choose an ICE/MT car over an EV every single time. Doesn't matter how much faster the EV might be.

Norm
Old 12-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #19
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Pull the V8 and go EV? They might as well call it the No-maro, because no one is going to buy it.
I sure wouldn't. I have zero interest in anything electric, never will.

If the industry goes that direction, I'll just stick to nostalgia racing and classic car shows.

Electric motors are quick and everyone loves to say... instant torque! Yeah, that's the most boring instant torques ever. IMHO

You know what also has instant torque? A supercharged 6.2L LT4/LT5. Or a 15 to 1 compression BBC on race gas. Thundering pushrod V8s is what my toys will always have.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #20
SoulGen6

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE Gen 6
Hell yeah man! Thanks for the info!
SoulGen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #21
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I'd rather the Camaro die remembered for its iconic thrilling performance and a legend to the mass production market in the Gasoline era. Let it die and let it go. I don't mind a sporty EV, but don't call it a Camaro, because the very foundation of the Camaro was small block V8 performance you could get on the affordable side. If I crank it and don't hear 8 cylinders roaring to life, it might be a fast car...but it ain't a Camaro.

The shift is inevitable and although it tears me to watch the Camaro die, I welcome the change to EV's as a form of progression. I'm glad that I was able to buy my 6th gen and enjoy what could very well be the pinnacle of out the box gasoline performance throughout the history of automobiles.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #22
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Guys, learn to live with it. We have bred a young society that needs a big tube of superglue to seal their vaajayjays(boys and girls). Yes I am talking about the ones who have no clue if they're a boy or girl, we call gender neutral. They're simply running this country. We have let them dictate everything and it's going to get worse.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #23
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetime View Post
Guys, learn to live with it. We have bred a young society that needs a big tube of superglue to seal their vaajayjays(boys and girls). Yes I am talking about the ones who have no clue if they're a boy or girl, we call gender neutral. They're simply running this country. We have let them dictate everything and it's going to get worse.
last i checked doug demuro had a huge smile on his face driving the model 3 and he owns a ford gt. electric cars are still fun. gender politics has nothing to do with it either.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Pull the V8 and go EV? They might as well call it the No-maro, because no one is going to buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I sure wouldn't. I have zero interest in anything electric, never will.

If the industry goes that direction, I'll just stick to nostalgia racing and classic car shows.

Electric motors are quick and everyone loves to say... instant torque! Yeah, that's the most boring instant torques ever. IMHO

You know what also has instant torque? A supercharged 6.2L LT4/LT5. Or a 15 to 1 compression BBC on race gas. Thundering pushrod V8s is what my toys will always have.
Just to remind you guys.........NO ONE IS BUYING THE CAMARO NOW. If not for having two Cadillacs in the plant with the Camaro it would already be gone.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'd rather the Camaro die remembered for its iconic thrilling performance and a legend to the mass production market in the Gasoline era. Let it die and let it go. I don't mind a sporty EV, but don't call it a Camaro, because the very foundation of the Camaro was small block V8 performance you could get on the affordable side. If I crank it and don't hear 8 cylinders roaring to life, it might be a fast car...but it ain't a Camaro.

The shift is inevitable and although it tears me to watch the Camaro die, I welcome the change to EV's as a form of progression. I'm glad that I was able to buy my 6th gen and enjoy what could very well be the pinnacle of out the box gasoline performance throughout the history of automobiles.
+6 (one for each sentence)

Call it Panther, set up the reverse of that iconic "press conference" ("the Camaro is dead, long live the Panther") or any other marketing ploy, anything but the bland, cheap stunt Ford pulled with the electric "Mustang".

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Electric is the near future. Resisting it is ridiculous. Embrace and mod it for performance if it already isn't Max performance. That's where the hobby is going. Might as well get it on the ground floor than futily be dragged there kicking and screaming
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #27
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Every time I visit this site:

- New thread with vague or misleading title
- It's about the end of the Camaro or rumors it'll continue
- Crappy fan mock-ups from a decade ago used as evidence of a new car
- Long and bantering debate the shifts between topics of economics, electrification, millennialism, market trends, assumptions about what's going on inside GM
- The "well all I know is that I have my car, and I like it" posts

I guess it's still better than Mustang6G where those poor people now have to deal with discussions about their brand being diluted for the sake of pushing crossover sales.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Hint, look what they did to the Mustang.
They cross bred it with a Ford Taurus
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote