Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Katech Head Porting

I've been contemplating getting my cylinder heads ported, and Katech happens to be in my area. If you're running them, what gains did you see with a stock cam?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
I've seen this brought up before and the consensus was that it wasn't worth it for the stock cam. Also, if the heads are coming off, you've already done 80% of a cam job anyway, no reason not to go whole hog on it and get some real gains.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I've seen this brought up before and the consensus was that it wasn't worth it for the stock cam. Also, if the heads are coming off, you've already done 80% of a cam job anyway, no reason not to go whole hog on it and get some real gains.
Damn maybe I just suck lol but I feel taking the heads off these LT cars is way less work than a cam job. That cam cover itself takes quite a bit to remove.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #4
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
My thought was that I could gain around 20 rwhp and avoid alot of the costs of doing a cam swap. The labor for just changing the heads should be around $600 vs $1400+ to change the cam. I could also keep the stock valvetrain which would save around $400 in parts. No doubt the cam would give some nice gains but I think I would be happier keeping $1800 in my pocket.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:10 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i wouldnt bother doing heads unless you are going to do a cam at the same time. heads breath plenty for stock cam.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
My thought was that I could gain around 20 rwhp and avoid alot of the costs of doing a cam swap. The labor for just changing the heads should be around $600 vs $1400+ to change the cam. I could also keep the stock valvetrain which would save around $400 in parts. No doubt the cam would give some nice gains but I think I would be happier keeping $1800 in my pocket.
Yes
Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
cam and heads and full bolt ons with e85 would get you around 500whp if i did head work id just go all out and do it all but i live in cali and im poor lol
Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #8
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I was thinking of just doing heads first as well, since a cam seems like a nightmare on these motors. I don't have many tools or room to work or access to a lift so my options are limited.

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread, but I guess we don't have many options for trying to increase the compression other than milling the heads? I know to get any reasonable increase in compression you are going to have PTV clearance issues I would think?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
cam and heads and full bolt ons with e85 would get you around 500whp if i did head work id just go all out and do it all but i live in cali and im poor lol
All dynos are different but there's a lot of fbo cars around or close to 500, H/C fbo are usually deep in the 500 with some close to 600. Pray has H/C fbo cars with a high ram in the low 600s.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I was thinking of just doing heads first as well, since a cam seems like a nightmare on these motors. I don't have many tools or room to work or access to a lift so my options are limited.

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread, but I guess we don't have many options for trying to increase the compression other than milling the heads? I know to get any reasonable increase in compression you are going to have PTV clearance issues I would think?
I'm pretty sure it's been done. There was one of the good builders, probably Pray lol, that had a seemingly stock looking car setup for grudge racing with ported heads, I'M, TH, but no cam.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #11
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
My thought was that I could gain around 20 rwhp and avoid alot of the costs of doing a cam swap.
Seems that a while back, member PRAY ported his LT1 cylinder heads, and he reported something like a ~22hp gain adding them to his bolt-on setup at the time. As I recall his bolt-on mods on the engine had been reported as:
2" Kooks headers with high-flow cats
intake manifold ported by him
throttle body ported by him
Rotofab CAI
flex fuel tune by him
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
It's no where near as much work to r&r the cylinder heads. There are gains to be had with ported heads on a stock cam car. Once you've done all the bolt ons, there are only a few options left. Granted paying for the port work isn't exactly cheap. It's crazy how much a cam swap costs.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #13
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
It's no where near as much work to r&r the cylinder heads. There are gains to be had with ported heads on a stock cam car. Once you've done all the bolt ons, there are only a few options left. Granted paying for the port work isn't exactly cheap. It's crazy how much a cam swap costs.
There is a lot of conflicting information on cam swaps. There is a lot of youtube videos of people doing it without having to unbolt the oil pan. Of course a lot of these videos skip all the important details. I can't find a solid answer but I think it is possible to swap the cam without pulling the motor or the oil pan.

I don't understand why you can't just lock the crank in position, then note the position of the stock cam, pull the stock cam off, and put the aftermarket cam in in the exact same orientation? I guess its just really hard to get the timing chain back on without moving things around.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Vrodviddy

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
Quote:
Having done the cam swap myself, i would have to disagree 80% done once heads removed. I'd say more like 30%. Don't need to remove front fascia, radiator, condenser, water pump, etc. in order to swap heads. I will agree that ported heads waste of time without doing the cam also. However personally the cash to power gained ratio didn't seem worth it unless you trying to build a track car and squeeze every bit of power out you can. 1000$ min, for maybe 15-20 hp gain. I passed on it and still able to put 520 to the ground.
Vrodviddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katech, ported heads