Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Staves

Drives: women crazy
What’s the max time to let my car sit w/o tender?

My SS has been sitting since 4/18 but I’m on the east coast now staying with my parents potentially for another couple of months (my Dad is sick and is week to week but perhaps month to month).

Car is in gated underground garage in my condo bldg. Battery tender not possible.
How long until I ask my neighbor to start it up? 8wks? 12 wks?
Also should I have him drive it around some too? (Not something I prefer to do).

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
My SS has been sitting since 4/18 but I’m on the east coast now staying with my parents potentially for another couple of months (my Dad is sick and is week to week but perhaps month to month).

Car is in gated underground garage in my condo bldg. Battery tender not possible.
How long until I ask my neighbor to start it up? 8wks? 12 wks?
Also should I have him drive it around some too? (Not something I prefer to do).

Thanks for any feedback.
I’m sorry to hear that your dad isn’t doing well. The car will likely be fine. IMHO starting a car without driving it enough to warm it to operating temperature and recharge the battery is worse than letting it sit. The battery charge is a wildcard. Some cars can go months in storage and start right up while others won’t go more than a few weeks. My suggestion is to buy a decent jumpstart battery to take with you when you pull the car out of storage in case you need to jump it. The car can be jumped from the hood or trunk depending on your access.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
During the winter, at times have let mine sit for at least 6 weeks or so, never a problem starting it. But others have had issues after only 1 week. So it's hit/miss. When you get back, just be prepared to possibly jump it.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Look up how to put the car in transport mode and ask your neighbor to do it for you. It will last a while before the battery dies when it’s in transport mode.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Look up how to put the car in transport mode and ask your neighbor to do it for you. It will last a while before the battery dies when it’s in transport mode.
Good idea. Thanks. Should I put it in that mode now or wait a few weeks?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Good idea. Thanks. Should I put it in that mode now or wait a few weeks?
You can wait a couple weeks and have your neighbor start and run the car for 20-30 minutes. When they do that, they can put it into TM on the startup.

It's simple. Turn the hazard flashers on; foot on brake; press and hold start button, even after engine starts. Takes about 10-15 seconds and it'll display on DIC "TRANSPORT MODE"; let off start button and it's done. Turn of hazards. Do the same thing to exit TM.

While in TM, you WILL see the battery caution light flashing on the DIC when the car is running, but it's fine, the battery is still charging. I winter store my SS in TM in an unheated storage unit, and run it for 30 min every 4 weeks or so. Never had a problem and it's still the original battery in a 2016.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes

Last edited by TP2SS; 04-22-2021 at 10:53 AM.
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
i remember reading somewhere a car battery looses 1 percent a day.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
My last several Gen5, and Gen6 cars couldnt even make a month, and were found dead. Guessing it depends on whether your car has a lot of things running or not. And if your battery is good or not. Found mine supposedly had bad batteries at a year or so old. Now they are either on the tender, or being driven.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
If it was me, I would just pull the negative battery terminal off the battery. And let it sit till you get back.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
You can wait a couple weeks and have your neighbor start and run the car for 20-30 minutes. When they do that, they can put it into TM on the startup.

It's simple. Turn the hazard flashers on; foot on brake; press and hold start button, even after engine starts. Takes about 10-15 seconds and it'll display on DIC "TRANSPORT MODE"; let off start button and it's done. Turn of hazards. Do the same thing to exit TM.

While in TM, you WILL see the battery caution light flashing on the DIC when the car is running, but it's fine, the battery is still charging. I winter store my SS in TM in an unheated storage unit, and run it for 30 min every 4 weeks or so. Never had a problem and it's still the original battery in a 2016.
The south eastern heat is holy terror on batteries.

Like you said though, he is inside and unerground so a little while and you will be ok.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
If it was me, I would just pull the negative battery terminal off the battery. And let it sit till you get back.
Not really an option. The only one who has a key to my place and car is my friend who drives a Kia Niro and isn’t especially handy. I don’t want her near the car really except I think she can put it in transport mode.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
It is difficult to say - you could return and it could fire right up or it could be completely dead lol. Much like people, each car can be quite different. My car personally cannot sit more than a couple of weeks, without being putting some miles on or being hooked up to the tender.

If it were me, I would either just plan (to be on the safe side) to jump start the car upon return. I'm not having someone start the car up or drive it around.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
My ‘18 has twice sat for 4-5 months without a battery tender during the winter. When I’m ready to drive it, 24 or so hours on the tender brings the battery back to full life. I keep the tires at 50 psi so they don’t flat-spot (I also roll the car forward or backward a few feet every month), put tennis balls under the wiper arms so the springs don’t go dead, put bags of dessicant in the interior and trunk, and add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank. That’s it - and it’s worked for several cars. I never start a stored car without driving it, because it takes a good 20 minutes of driving to get everything (especially the transmission and rear end) up to operating temperature. Just warming up a car for a few minutes can cause condensation to form, which is not a positive thing for mechanical systems.

If your car’s going to be parked a few months, remember to cut back on your insurance coverage too, since it’s not on the road. You could reduce your premium by as much as 50%.

Hope things go well with your dad...
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #14
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
i have gone 5 weeks parked with no issues.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote