Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #113
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
Honestly the need to have a fast car kind of drives me nuts on here, and the internet as a whole. If I wanted the fastest thing per dollar, I'd have bought the best Corvette I could. There are many reasons why I didn't, and the most important one is that I don't like Corvettes. I don't find them rewarding to drive. I'll take driving my 1.6 Miata over really anything if I want to have fun.

Once I buy a house I'll likely get rid of the Camaro in favor of something a little more practical. My only requirement beyond that is that I must be able to autocross it, so it can't be an SUV or any really shitty econoboxes. I had a Focus ST before the Camaro, which would have been perfect, but I didn't plan on buying a house when I traded it, and don't believe in buying the same car twice.

I'm personally not interested in the Forte GT, but that's why they make different cars, we all look for different things out of cars. On my shortlist right now are the Veloster N, Civic Type R (assuming prices come down when the next-gen comes out), E39 M5, Stinger GT, and maybe a Focus RS, but that may be too similar to the ST to interest me. A Cayman is also on my irresponsible shortlist because I am very intrigued by Porsches and nearly bought one before the Camaro.

A Stinger will still feel as slow as balls compared to a Camaro. It's not a bad car on a budget but shouldn't be compared to stuff like a Camaro SS, Mustang GT or Challenger Scatpack.

I can't imagine having something slower as my primary car than my Camaro SS. Next up will be a c7 or C8 or Zl1 lol.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #114
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yeah its funny. If you bring up electric cars the same people will say 'it's not about being fast!'

If you're going to be shopping new cars also consider the upcoming Elantra N and the Cadillac CT-4 V.

I just got the Stinger less than a week ago. I plan on popping my autocross cherry with it. Sometime this year. From what Ive read, everyone recommends adding sway bars, as it kinda fixes the car being unsettled over bumps. I haven't pushed it hard enough to run into that issue yet. It's a big, heavy car even if you opt for RWD. I did a small road trip with it already and it was awesome. It's nice having a practical car that's fun to drive as well. Just wish the exhaust was louder, but that can be easily remedied lol.
I think the CT-4 V will likely be above my price range, and I'd likely go used anyhow. Something below 30ish thousand, or a $4-500 lease if I was to go new. I like to go through cars every couple of years, so a lease makes more sense for someone like me on a new car. It's also possible I go with something pretty mundane like a Mazda 3 hatchback just as something that gets me around for cheap, and then I can spend more on the Miata and track things.

There are a couple of people near me with modded Stinger GTs and they are seriously quick cars. Like any turbo car, a couple of parts and a tune, and it gets cranked way up. But not wanting to do that for warranty/reliability reasons is certainly understandable. I think I've seen one at an autocross, but I don't recall how it did. In my experience, stiffening a car makes it worse over bumps, but it's possible the engineers designed the sway bars to bind up to make it more playful. That's what Ford did to the STs, and is a big reason for their playful attitude and lift-off oversteer.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #115
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I think the CT-4 V will likely be above my price range, and I'd likely go used anyhow. Something below 30ish thousand, or a $4-500 lease if I was to go new. I like to go through cars every couple of years, so a lease makes more sense for someone like me on a new car. It's also possible I go with something pretty mundane like a Mazda 3 hatchback just as something that gets me around for cheap, and then I can spend more on the Miata and track things.

There are a couple of people near me with modded Stinger GTs and they are seriously quick cars. Like any turbo car, a couple of parts and a tune, and it gets cranked way up. But not wanting to do that for warranty/reliability reasons is certainly understandable. I think I've seen one at an autocross, but I don't recall how it did. In my experience, stiffening a car makes it worse over bumps, but it's possible the engineers designed the sway bars to bind up to make it more playful. That's what Ford did to the STs, and is a big reason for their playful attitude and lift-off oversteer.

Historically the Stinger has had good lease deals, so you should be able to find one new in your price range. I strongly considered a lease on mine, but I plan on keeping the car for at least 8 years, provided that it's not plagued with issues. Plus there is a weird grey area with Kia warranties where if you buyout your lease you are considered the second owner of the car. If you're a second owner the car could be considered used and you may lose the 10 yr, 100K mile warranty. It can get reduced to 5 yr, 60K miles or something. I didn't want to mess with that.

With that being said, if you're looking for something more capable for Autocross you could lease a new Genesis G70. It's on the same platform as the Stinger, but smaller/lighter and reportedly more tossable. Same turbo V6 as well.

Frankly there are so many choices out there that I feel like we're really in a golden age of performance cars. There's something good at every price point, if you're starting from the mid-20K range and upwards.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #116
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
You also have the Nissan Z (400Z) being released in the next month as a 2022 model.

seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #117
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
A Stinger will still feel as slow as balls compared to a Camaro. It's not a bad car on a budget but shouldn't be compared to stuff like a Camaro SS, Mustang GT or Challenger Scatpack.

I can't imagine having something slower as my primary car than my Camaro SS. Next up will be a c7 or C8 or Zl1 lol.

Dude I don't know how you define 'slow as balls' but the Stinger GT is within 0.5 seconds of those cars when it comes to 0 to 60. The quarter mile is within 0.7 seconds.

See the specifications:

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/stinger
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 115 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/dodge/challenger
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 116 mph

Plus I wouldn't even compare the Stinger to those cars. If we're talking 4 door performance cars, then throw in the Charger Scat Pack instead.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #118
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
You also have the Nissan Z (400Z) being released in the next month as a 2022 model.

I posted about this before too. I saw some articles hint under 40k starting price point. The specs I've seen for performance are not too far off from the Mustang and Camaro SS. IF my Camaro were to get totaled right now I'd be tempted to go and order a 400z.

The 370z is too slow for me but the 400 is beefed up and I'm digging the style as well.

400z also isn't going to help Camaro sales when new ones do come in eventually.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #119
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Dude I don't know how you define 'slow as balls' but the Stinger GT is within 0.5 seconds of those cars when it comes to 0 to 60. The quarter mile is within 0.7 seconds.

See the specifications:

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/stinger
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 115 mph

https://www.caranddriver.com/dodge/challenger
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 116 mph

Plus I wouldn't even compare the Stinger to those cars. If we're talking 4 door performance cars, then throw in the Charger Scat Pack instead.

The GT time seems slow at 4.4 A good driver in the auto GT should be getting 4.1 or 4.2 0-60 times. I've seen 4.2 in reviews. I recall the 2015 GT they did test closer to 5 seconds even though most other reviewers were getting 4.5 or a tad under.

Car and driver when they do tests for the Corvette and Mustang for some reason sometimes get slower times than other reviewers.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #120
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
The GT time seems slow at 4.4 A good driver in the auto GT should be getting 4.1 or 4.2 0-60 times. I've seen 4.2 in reviews. I recall the 2015 GT they did test closer to 5 seconds even though most other reviewers were getting 4.5 or a tad under.

Car and driver when they do tests for the Corvette and Mustang for some reason sometimes get slower times than other reviewers.
Tires maybe? The Mustang GT I had came with 235/[something - I forget]/18 all seasons. My Camaro SS came with much wider summer tires.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #121
seethruya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Tires maybe? The Mustang GT I had came with 235/[something - I forget]/18 all seasons. My Camaro SS came with much wider summer tires.
This. If you can imagine, the GT comes stock with 235 all seasons.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #122
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
The rapidly increasing used car prices are certainly something that I've never experienced in my 6.1 decades. Makes me wish I would have picked up that 4000 mile Krypton ZL1 that dude listed at $52k a while back. He doesn't know how damn close I came. Never called him, knew I'd buy it if I did!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #123
seethruya

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
The rapidly increasing used car prices are certainly something that I've never experienced in my 6.1 decades. Makes me wish I would have picked up that 4000 mile Krypton ZL1 that dude listed at $52k a while back. He doesn't know how damn close I came. Never called him, knew I'd buy it if I did!
Everything is going up in price. We are entering a real inflationary period. One we haven’t seen in over 40 years.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #124
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post

This. The GT does catch up though if you look at videos. The torque is lower but once they get going they're quick. There is a GT and SS comparison on youtube. Two random guys met and drove each others cars. The SS owner was impressed on how the Mustang once it gets going it scoots quick.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #125
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
Everything is going up in price. We are entering a real inflationary period. One we haven’t seen in over 40 years.
I think/hope that it's a supply and demand blip and that prices will return to close to pre-covid levels. The nearly 4% increase in the consumer price index is largely driven by all the free money that the feds have been passing out. I'll concede that lots of folks were hurt financially by the pandemic, but are that many still hurting? If so, who the hell are they? I just received a letter informing me that I'm getting another fifteen hundred bucks. I'll take it, I suppose, but I certainly don't need it.
I'll wager that inflation will be under the 2% target set by the federal reserve unless they just never stop with the stimulus checks.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #126
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I think/hope that it's a supply and demand blip and that prices will return to close to pre-covid levels. The nearly 4% increase in the consumer price index is largely driven by all the free money that the feds have been passing out. I'll concede that lots of folks were hurt financially by the pandemic, but are that many still hurting? If so, who the hell are they? I just received a letter informing me that I'm getting another fifteen hundred bucks. I'll take it, I suppose, but I certainly don't need it.
I'll wager that inflation will be under the 2% target set by the federal reserve unless they just never stop with the stimulus checks.

Don't forget stimulus. Some people with kids were getting a few grand each stimulus check if they had kids and married. That is another factor with used car prices as well and less deals on new cars. People have an extra few grand to use as a down payment. So if they saved their checks some might have had an extra 5k to spend on a car.