Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #43
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
My first & second set (5K, 6K) I used Diode Dynamics. Since they did't offer a 5500K, I went with Morimoto for my final and current set.

In all 3 cases, the light output seems a little brighter, but the biggest difference I noticed (other than the color difference) was the beam pattern. All 3 of them have a higher beam pattern cut-off over stock and that really helps see further down the road. Not enough to blind oncoming traffic, but enough to where you definitely see much further down the road.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #44
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
My first & second set (5K, 6K) I used Diode Dynamics. Since they did't offer a 5500K, I went with Morimoto for my final and current set.

In all 3 cases, the light output seems a little brighter, but the biggest difference I noticed (other than the color difference) was the beam pattern. All 3 of them have a higher beam pattern cut-off over stock and that really helps see further down the road. Not enough to blind oncoming traffic, but enough to where you definitely see much further down the road.

Isn't that the same as raising your headlights though? We can already do that with the leveler adjuster. In my eyes, raising the cut off line (or changing in any way for that matter) of the beam pattern is a negative thing. A higher cut off just means the light travels further down the road, but also blinds the on-coming traffic more.

I think ideally what we want from the beam pattern is more intensity (lux), closest to the top of the cut off. If the pattern was uniform from bottom to the top, when the light projects downward on the road, the furthest part away would look dimmest and the closest would be the brightest. You can test this with your phone's flash light on a flat surface, if you pretend that is your car's headlight.

But if the hot spot is closest to the cut off (the top), then you will have a more even output all the way to the end.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #45
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Good info. Thanks!

Yeah, I only drive my Camaro in bad weather when the weatherman is wrong. And, I try to avoid night driving as much as possible. I think my '16 SS already has great headlights, so I am not about to spend $ on different bulbs. I am ok with the current color temperature.

On a number of past vehicles, I have wanted better lighting. This led to me adding all kinds of driving lamps and/or higher wattage bulbs, which has given me a fair amount of experience with good lighting. Even so, I have no issue with the stock lights. Maybe if I spent a lot of time driving high speed at night, I'd want more, but not for normal driving. I don't tend to speed at night since you can't see the police cars until it is too late.
Wise man

I agree, the lights on the Camaro are already pretty darn good IMHO. Certainly not the best out there in 2019 especially compared to some of the best LED systems on luxury cars, but HIDs /projectors have always been a good benchmark for usable lights.

Regarding the color temp, all the hardcore light guys say warmer is better for foul weather. While that is true, I think for dry only, higher color temp isn't horrible. I find higher color temps reflect more than lower color temp (which is the whole theory behind lower color temp being better in fog/snow/rain anyway).

That extra reflectivity, I actually appreciate for lighting up street signs and animal eyes better.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #46
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
Isn't that the same as raising your headlights though? We can already do that with the leveler adjuster. In my eyes, raising the cut off line (or changing in any way for that matter) of the beam pattern is a negative thing. A higher cut off just means the light travels further down the road, but also blinds the on-coming traffic more.

I think ideally what we want from the beam pattern is more intensity (lux), closest to the top of the cut off. If the pattern was uniform from bottom to the top, when the light projects downward on the road, the furthest part away would look dimmest and the closest would be the brightest. You can test this with your phone's flash light on a flat surface, if you pretend that is your car's headlight.

But if the hot spot is closest to the cut off (the top), then you will have a more even output all the way to the end.
You could probably achieve the same thing with the level adjusters, bur then you need to play with getting the left and right side equal.

I have never been flashed at for the LITTLE BIT higher beam pattern of the aftermarket bulbs. Like I said originally, it does raise the cut-off a bit, but not enough to cause oncoming traffic issues , but enough to where you do see more of the road.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #47
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I started with 5K and while better than stock, still wasn't as white as I wanted. I then changed to 6K and it had a bit too much blue hue.

I just changed to 5500K and like it much better. The whitest of the 3, with just a very TINY blue, barely noticeable.

Now the only issue I am having is since I have had to pry the connection out 3 times total, I think I messed up the wire for the eyebrow on the driver's side. :(

The driver's side eyebrow LED light is not working. The vertical one works, just not the brow. They both work on the passenger side.

Anyone have a clue? It will suck to have to take it to the dealer to fix it.

Which brand did you end up using with the 5,500k temp? I also got some 6,000k but didn't really the slight blue tint. I want to try 5,500.

In regards to your eyebrow, if you are still under warranty I would stick the stock HID and take it to the dealership.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #48
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I also switched my stock ones to the 5500k that I bought from Bigwom and couldn't be happier. It perfectly matches the rest of the leds that I have.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #49
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Is bigworm selling the Morimoto for $75 each or for the pair?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #50
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Its 75 for the pair plus shipping I believe.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #51
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGen6 View Post
Which brand did you end up using with the 5,500k temp? I also got some 6,000k but didn't really the slight blue tint. I want to try 5,500.

In regards to your eyebrow, if you are still under warranty I would stick the stock HID and take it to the dealership.
I went with the Morimoto brand. I love them.

As far as the eyebrow, I am tired of tweeking my back and scraping my hands/arms from swapping out the bulbs. I have a service due coming up, so I will just bite the bullet and have the dealer fix what ever needs to be fixed and if they notice the bulb change and charge me, so be it.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06