Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 06-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Adhesive Coming Through Top

Anyone else have what appears to be adhesive coming through their top? I've had this issue for a while, but I keep forgetting to post about it. It started after my B2B expired, so I've never taken it to the dealership for this issue. It's in a few spots but only on the driver's side. See pics.
Attached Images

1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
That looks like bleaching from mildew after being folded wet.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
That looks like bleaching from mildew after being folded wet.
Thanks for the input, but it's definitely not mildew or bleaching from mildew. Top is always up when parked, and I let it dry out in the sun before putting it down after washing. It has some stickiness to it, so I believe it's adhesive of some sort that is bleeding through.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Thanks for the input, but it's definitely not mildew or bleaching from mildew. Top is always up when parked, and I let it dry out in the sun before putting it down after washing. It has some stickiness to it, so I believe it's adhesive of some sort that is bleeding through.
I don't think it's adhesive, at least not from the construction of the top. The outlined area is one where there is nothing but the canvas of the top - nothing "behind" that it's glued to.
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Salt related? Looks similar to my golf hat. It gets soaked with sweat then dries, and I don’t really wash it. Makes a salt ring.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
I don’t have this issue on my top. But have you tried using a convertible top fabric cleaner and a soft brush to clean those areas, then applying a convertible top fabric restorer? That should help remove the stains and darken those areas so they are less noticeable.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I don’t have this issue on my top. But have you tried using a convertible top fabric cleaner and a soft brush to clean those areas, then applying a convertible top fabric restorer? That should help remove the stains and darken those areas so they are less noticeable.
I suspect, like you, that this is some sort of stain. The fact that it's only on the driver's side makes me wonder if the top is getting wet on that side when it's being collapsed into the car ("opened") and then sitting there wet (without that fact being known). The fact that it took so long to appear (after the B2B was expired) could mean it's happening only a very little at a time and infrequently, or it could be related to something starting to allow water in from rain / washing more recently...

A little bit of white vinegar on it might help to expose whether it's mold/mildew and start the process of getting it corrected.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I suspect, like you, that this is some sort of stain. The fact that it's only on the driver's side makes me wonder if the top is getting wet on that side when it's being collapsed into the car ("opened") and then sitting there wet (without that fact being known).
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like when folded, all the marked areas are pretty much together. Maybe something is leaking, or there is too much grease on on something, or something even dripped in during the close. OP could probably start the top open, then let go of the button right after the tonneau lifts, then maybe see if there is a gap in the seal or something in the area of the leak.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
MANNAXMAN

Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote:
I don't think it's adhesive, at least not from the construction of the top. The outlined area is one where there is nothing but the canvas of the top - nothing "behind" that it's glued to.
Good point about the area you circled. I'll have to do some further investigation on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
Salt related? Looks similar to my golf hat. It gets soaked with sweat then dries, and I don’t really wash it. Makes a salt ring.
Not likely salt related. I don't live close to the ocean or anything that would expose it to salt that would cause this type of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chosen one View Post
I only use convertible fabric cleaners on the top with a soft bristled brush that is meant for canvas tops. Neither help to remove whatever it is. Again, there is some stickiness to the spots that washing/cleaning doesn't get rid of. If they were just stains, I doubt they would be sticky.

Quote:
I suspect, like you, that this is some sort of stain. The fact that it's only on the driver's side makes me wonder if the top is getting wet on that side when it's being collapsed into the car ("opened") and then sitting there wet (without that fact being known). The fact that it took so long to appear (after the B2B was expired) could mean it's happening only a very little at a time and infrequently, or it could be related to something starting to allow water in from rain / washing more recently...

A little bit of white vinegar on it might help to expose whether it's mold/mildew and start the process of getting it corrected.
As previously mentioned, the top never gets put down when wet. If anything, it might be slightly damp after washing when it gets put down. However, it wouldn't be down for a long period of time, because the top goes up every time it's parked, even if I'm just running into the store for 5 minutes. And if it were getting wet by a non-viscous liquid, I would expect the shapes to be different. I'll give the white vinegar a try.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
As previously mentioned, the top never gets put down when wet. If anything, it might be slightly damp after washing when it gets put down. However, it wouldn't be down for a long period of time, because the top goes up every time it's parked, even if I'm just running into the store for 5 minutes. And if it were getting wet by a non-viscous liquid, I would expect the shapes to be different. I'll give the white vinegar a try.
I was wondering if maybe it was getting wet as you were putting it down... Since it's only on one side, the idea was that maybe it was rubbing against something that was wet or possibly getting dripped on once folded. When folded, most of those areas sort of line up or overlap with each other.

I don't think it's from something like a grease or oil because that would seemingly also attract dirt. If the white vinegar seems to be helping (try lightly spraying it on in an area and letting it air dry then brushing that area), then it may very well be a mold/mildew type of stain.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #11
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
I was wondering if maybe it was getting wet as you were putting it down... Since it's only on one side, the idea was that maybe it was rubbing against something that was wet or possibly getting dripped on once folded. When folded, most of those areas sort of line up or overlap with each other.
Not likely. I typically pull the car out of the garage before dropping the top. There are no trees or anything over my driveway that might be dripping. Unless there is a liquid source somewhere in my trunk, the top is not getting wet while being put down or while it's down. I thoroughly dry my car after washing it, so it's not likely that the top is getting wet while putting it down. And, again, it wouldn't be in the down position for a long period of time even if it were wet.

Quote:
I don't think it's from something like a grease or oil because that would seemingly also attract dirt. If the white vinegar seems to be helping (try lightly spraying it on in an area and letting it air dry then brushing that area), then it may very well be a mold/mildew type of stain.
I'll give this a try.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Not likely. I typically pull the car out of the garage before dropping the top. There are no trees or anything over my driveway that might be dripping. Unless there is a liquid source somewhere in my trunk, the top is not getting wet while being put down or while it's down. I thoroughly dry my car after washing it, so it's not likely that the top is getting wet while putting it down. And, again, it wouldn't be in the down position for a long period of time even if it were wet.
Definitely curious to see if you can figure this out... I know with mine, there are areas under the tonneau and (especially) under the trunk lid that hold pools of water. In fact, I often find that there's still a lot of soapy water in those areas when I am drying the car.

One "test" you could try would be to do what you typically do with washing and drying. Once you are comfortable that the top is completely dried out (and you may want to check the underside in those areas too to be sure water isn't actually getting -under- the canvas), put it down. Wait about two minutes, then bring it back up. See if there's any sort of moisture in those areas.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
getting dripped on once folded. When folded, most of those areas sort of line up or overlap with each other....it may very well be a mold/mildew type of stain.
Good eye. Those spots are right on top of each other when folded... so yeah likely localized.

Still looks like water/mildew type stain to me but because the OP said it's sticky, here's a WAG: Collection of soap residue after it got wet. Another WAG: possibly excess grease dripping out of the back of the left side latch (if that's even possible)? Would have had to have be pretty hot though and lithium does not drip ... which doesn't seem likely unless the car sat in the heat with the top folded for a long time. Or a hydraulic leak on the driver's side that sprayed oil.

OP, is there any evidence of oil/water spray around the driver's side lift mechanism under the tonneau?

Last edited by Gunkk; 06-17-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Hi All,
Have you considered a sap from parking under a tree?
Is sticky, when it dries it has similar color.

Could get on the top unseen and then folded and smeared over the folds.

Sap may be a bitch to clean though.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote