#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #57
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Thanks for this!! I struggle with this, I want the V8. But I know if I only go SS I may have that itch for more. I don’t even NEED the power, I want the rumble, I want the look, the excitement and joy of it. It’s my unicorn. We’ve agreed and she understands. If I can afford it, I can have it. Time to scheme!!
So go get that ZL1 and show us some pics

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #58
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Had my mortgage paid off & am 100% debt free & made my decision to go ahead with a financially stupid purchase...gotta be honest with myself & the $$$ shoulda stayed in the investment side of things but the itch needed to be scratched. I get a little buyers remorse every now & then but it goes away every single time the LT4 fires up. This car gives a ton of joy. I jokingly call it my mid-life crisis car when asked why I bought a 650hp camaro.
Wow! That's my story. We live in a parallel universe amigo.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:32 AM   #59
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
OP, Honestly if you know that this purchase will in no way compromise your relationship with your wife or your family's financial future, then pull the trigger.

It will hurt ($) at first, until you get behind the wheel...and then, when your wife sees how much that your time with this car fills you up, she will be very happy that you did. When I get grumpy or worn out, mine (she's amazing) tells me that it's time for a spirited run.

You just can't put a dollar value on that.

Life is short and tomorrow is far from guaranteed. There is no greater illustration of this than losing those whom we love. This, has definitely played a definite role in my decision to treat myself to this car.

With that said, your family's future is paramount. Conversely, some of us hard working, family provider types have a tough time treating ourselves to the unselfish generosity that we bestow upon those that we love. I can't express this more eloquently than Artos and SJFGTO have.

Ultimately, this struggle is yours. Only you can answer this question.

As a Christian man, I know that my greatest reward will come in the next life... But a ZL1 in this one is pretty FN awesome!

Apologies to all for the rant.

As many have pointed out, with the current incentives, you are as likely to pay a similar price on a new 2018 that you would pay on a used example. Shop around.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #60
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
You have to set expectations. I have always had a fun car. No issues getting her to agree to yet another one, the ZL1.

... Now the $50K truck to tow the ZL1... that pissed her off...
Attached Images

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #61
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I decided 10 years ago when my wife decided she didn't want to work anymore, that I would buy whatever I want.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #62
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
So go get that ZL1 and show us some pics
Haha if only it were that easy to buy such an expensive car!! I got a few things to work though here with the lease and stuff and since I wasn’t planning on anything I don’t have much in the way of a down payment. The biggest hurdle was her agreeing that she wouldn’t cut my nuts off! Haha. Gotta check with GM/the dealer and see what the process is and how much they’ll screw me on an early lease break. I want it NOW but if the numbers are crap I may have to wait till the lease ends. But, as much as that sucks I can plan/save and be setup for that alternative.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #63
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post

How did you convince your wife to let you buy a 70k race car?
I bought her a brand new Audi TT.

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #64
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
OP, Honestly if you know that this purchase will in no way compromise your relationship with your wife or your family's financial future, then pull the trigger.

It will hurt ($) at first, until you get behind the wheel...and then, when your wife sees how much that your time with this car fills you up, she will be very happy that you did. When I get grumpy or worn out, mine (she's amazing) tells me that it's time for a spirited run.

You just can't put a dollar value on that.

Life is short and tomorrow is far from guaranteed. There is no greater illustration of this than losing those whom we love. This, has definitely played a definite role in my decision to treat myself to this car.

With that said, your family's future is paramount. Conversely, some of us hard working, family provider types have a tough time treating ourselves to the unselfish generosity that we bestow upon those that we love. I can't express this more eloquently than Artos and SJFGTO have.

Ultimately, this struggle is yours. Only you can answer this question.

As a Christian man, I know that my greatest reward will come in the next life... But a ZL1 in this one is pretty FN awesome!

Apologies to all for the rant.

As many have pointed out, with the current incentives, you are as likely to pay a similar price on a new 2018 that you would pay on a used example. Shop around.
She freaked out on me when she realized I was actually joking about wanting a $65,000 sports car, like freaked out lol. But she knows how I am and she knows I set my sights on things and I make it happen. I always remind her of our engagement and how it came about. I was a poor apprentice with no savings and I decided I was going to ask her to marry me and I went to the store. It’s early November and I pick out a $2600 ring and I say, “you know what, I’m going to ask her on Christmas.” With no ability to get credit I worked out a deal with her mom for the $400 down payment. From there I worked multiple side jobs, took OT, worked at Victoria’s Secret (with her, she asked for help and it was perfect timing). I had barely any days off and I’m sitting in Victoria’s Secret 3-4 times a week, 4 hours a day sorting thongs after working 8 hours at my real job. I paid that ring off on December 24th. $0 to $2,600 in 6-7 weeks.

I guess what I’m saying is if I really want something I’ll always find a way to pay for it without sacrificing the rest of my life. I’ve got a few loose ends to take care of here but we talked and I told her and explained to her in numbers. Side note: you betcha I came at her with a full account report/bill report/car payment all written down, I was prepared last night after her getting mad. She saw the ways of the wise and jumped in the boat, so we’re good now.

Should be all good on finances though. If it doesn’t happen this week I’ll shut it down, take some OT, pick up some side jobs (I’m an electrician) and save till my lease ends next year and I’ll throw as much money at it as I can.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #65
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
I bought her a brand new Audi TT.
Yeah mine said she would be say, “yes” for a G wagon, I laughed. Not only is it double the price She could never afford that payment by herself and I could never pay for both. If I could I’d buy it for her in a heartbeat.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #66
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quick question: for those who financed. What are you paying payment wise? Also with any down payment you used. Unfortunately I won’t have a trade-in going into this so I’m going to get totally bent over payment wise.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #67
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP if you have to convince her you have a problem. Make some kind of deal with her. Scratch her itches. A week on the Riviera would help.

As for me I would have more than one garage, a daily, a new crazy car and several older favorites as long term project cars. But that would never fly so the deal was I can have any daily and "sports" car I want but that's it, two cars.

Life is full of compromises you can live with.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #68
wired1

Drives: 2014 Jeep SRT/2017 ZL1
If I had asked there would have been an absolute NO, I would have never been able to get it.

Had purchased a week prior ended up saying I was going to CVS and just came home with it!
wired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #69
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
If I had asked there would have been an absolute NO, I would have never been able to get it.

Had purchased a week prior ended up saying I was going to CVS and just came home with it!
Ha! That's a bold move!
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #70
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDivine76 View Post
Ha! That's a bold move!
Tell me about it! Lol! That’s ballsy! My wife would have straight murdered me!