Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Question Getting a 2020 2SS and want to do it right

Taking delivery of a 2020 2SS (Shadow Gray Metallic) in the next week or so and want to be sure to do things right (and in the right order). I've always been a Meguire's wax and wash guy but haven't gone beyond that.

I am considering (either doing it myself or paying to have it done) claybar and ceramic coating, also have heard about "clear bra" on the front. This car will likely be my daily driver so want some decent protection.

I am also considering adding some Rally Stripes, should those be done before the ceramic coat or does it matter? (I assume they need to be done before any clear bra).

Any input would be greatly appreciated (and if anyone has any recommendations for places in San Diego to do this that would be great as well!).

Thanks!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Ceramic coatings and clear bras are two entirely different things, apples and oranges ...PPF/clear will protect you against stones smashing into the paint, ceramic will not do that. A ceramic is just good for keeping the car clean and making the car hydrophobic for dirt. But stones and rocks will still beat the hell out of the car. Many people are putting on the clear bra, xpel seems to be the prevailing brand, and then maybe a ceramic over that, But it’s not necessary

Washing and waxing are dead. There’s plenty of easier/ better ways to do it now. I suggest you read the first four pages of this forum section before you ask any questions, because there’s really nothing radically new, and it’s all here.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
you could do clear paint protection film (PPF) on the entire front of the car, and the problem areas on the side like right behind the door. Just make sure to call your insurance and see if its covered, because if it isn't, you're out the few grand itll cost to do the PPF.
You can do a SiO2 or ceramic coat over top of PPF, but not vice versa. Decals like rally strips always go on first, before any coatings.
The bottom line is that PPF is expensive. It won't stop really big stuff, and a well placed rock can still gouge the paint. It will, however, protect you from the "death by a thousand cuts" stuff out on the highway. If that is worth a few grand to you, then by all means go for it. I think if you put lots of highway miles on a vehicle, it's probably worth it. Once that decision is made, then you have to decide how much of the car to wrap. It adds up quick. You could do your entire car in clear PPF, probably for around 3-4k.

Keep in mind though, that once it is wrapped with PPF, that layer is not perfect. There are definitely stories out there of people having hazy spots, discoloration (especially in very sunny places), etc. If that happens, you are out of luck.

First thing I would do is figure out if paint protection films are covered under your insurance.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Silica sealants and rinseless washes are great. Ceramic coatings are a PITA, too much work and too many headaches, especially if you are a novice at detailing ( not assuming, just saying ).

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hit up wes hes an awesome guy the do ceramic coating and clearbra and more !

https://www.elitefinishdetailing.com/
Old 01-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
hit up wes hes an awesome guy the do ceramic coating and clearbra and more !

https://www.elitefinishdetailing.com/
Awesome, thanks!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 01-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Congrats on your new SS, Like mentioned Ceramic Coating will not protect from rock chips however it will help protect from getting scratches & swirls.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...int-coating-9h
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Congrats on your new SS, Like mentioned Ceramic Coating will not protect from rock chips however it will help protect from getting scratches & swirls.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...int-coating-9h
Thanks Adam, I was looking at your stuff yesterday...

Do you have a easy list of the initial basic stuff to get?

What to wash with...
Claybar/surface prep...
Ceramic options...

There are so many products on your site I don't know what I need and what I don't...

Maybe a beginners guide to "Here's what you need to do to your new car for the average owner/mild enthusiast..."

The car will eventually be my daily driver so I'm not looking for show quality, but I certainly take pride in my vehicles and keep them a long time so want to keep it looking good (and this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased)...

I'm going crazy reading all this stuff trying to figure out what is what and what I really need, if there was a simple guide for the average car owner/mild enthusiast to keep our vehicles looking great at a reasonable price I'd be all over it...

Old 01-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

So I'm thinking of trying the ceramic coating myself. My question is, on a brand new car will doing a claybar prep be enough before the ceramic or should I invest in a polisher? My other question, if yes to the polisher, then do I even need to claybar (if I do, I assume I do that before polishing)?

Just trying to learn what I need to do and in what order I need to do them.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
So I'm thinking of trying the ceramic coating myself. My question is, on a brand new car will doing a claybar prep be enough before the ceramic or should I invest in a polisher? My other question, if yes to the polisher, then do I even need to claybar (if I do, I assume I do that before polishing)?

Just trying to learn what I need to do and in what order I need to do them.

Thanks!
You can do this! But it will take some equipment and education.

Always clay before polishing.

Clay is an abrasive. It does mar the surface. It's job is to remove bonded contaminants that don't remove with just car shampoo. You always want to follow clay with a machine polishing. Preparing the surface before applying the ceramic coating is your goal.

Wash> Clay> Polish> Remove polishing oils> Apply ceramic

There are several threads within the first 3 pages of this subforum regarding which polisher is right for your budget.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
KirkH

Here's a couple of threads of my ceramic coating jobs, listing tools and materials:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567278

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528204
Old 01-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
You can do this! But it will take some equipment and education.

Always clay before polishing.

Clay is an abrasive. It does mar the surface. It's job is to remove bonded contaminants that don't remove with just car shampoo. You always want to follow clay with a machine polishing. Preparing the surface before applying the ceramic coating is your goal.

Wash> Clay> Polish> Remove polishing oils> Apply ceramic

There are several threads within the first 3 pages of this subforum regarding which polisher is right for your budget.
AWESOME!!! Many thanks for your help!

I'm looking at some items from Adam's Polishes...

Old 01-05-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
AWESOME!!! Many thanks for your help!

I'm looking at some items from Adam's Polishes...
Can't go wrong with Adam's.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #14
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Read Glenn's file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Ceramic coatings and clear bras are two entirely different things, apples and oranges ...PPF/clear will protect you against stones smashing into the paint, ceramic will not do that. A ceramic is just good for keeping the car clean and making the car hydrophobic for dirt. But stones and rocks will still beat the hell out of the car. Many people are putting on the clear bra, xpel seems to be the prevailing brand, and then maybe a ceramic over that, But it’s not necessary

Washing and waxing are dead. There’s plenty of easier/ better ways to do it now. I suggest you read the first four pages of this forum section before you ask any questions, because there’s really nothing radically new, and it’s all here.
Well organized and helpful. Highly recommend them, use his methods myself and have no regrets and a sharp Gen6. FYI I do all my own stuff by hand.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote