Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #57
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Doesn't the damage depend on the nozzle used? If you are using "turbo" type nozzles, sure, it'll damage the paint.

The distance of the nozzle/tip to the paint will also affect the "damage level", of course.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #58
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Doesn't the damage depend on the nozzle used? If you are using "turbo" type nozzles, sure, it'll damage the paint.

The distance of the nozzle/tip to the paint will also affect the "damage level", of course.
A white nozzle will tear up wood and brick.

I only use pressure on wheels and for foaming.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:41 PM   #59
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Before I dry the car with a towel, I always do a pooling rinse......this removes 90% or more of the water on the surface, leaving very little water to dry.....again...NO PRESSURE is used when drying the water left...the ONLY pressure I use is from my cordless blower to get the water out from the places it hides.

Good tip on the pooling method. I'll have to try that.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #60
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I guess the older and lazier that I've gotten, I prefer to drive my car, instead of detailing it. I have a small, electric, power washer. I use the Chemical Guys foam cannon and a two bucket wash. It is just hand washing it a bit to help with some of the tougher places. I will rinse with the power washer using the white tip. I keep it far enough away that it is unlikely to do much damage. FWIW, I had my cars ceramic coated. Three of my vehicles are shades of white (yea, 3 different white vehicles and 3 different types of white).

Blasphemy, I'll also use a touch less car wash from time to time. $5 and run it through. Drive it the short distance home and dry it off with a microfiber towel.

I just did a 500+ mile road trip over to Mobile. Rain on the way there. I drove through the car wash on the way to the house. Car looks good enough for me. FWIW, I track my car and road trip my car. Sometimes, its a road trip to the track. I try to keep it looking good. I get it professionally detailed every year or even a couple times a year. However, I bought the car to use.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #61
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
A white nozzle will tear up wood and brick.

I only use pressure on wheels and for foaming.
Even from a few feet away?
If you hold it a couple of inches away, sure..
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #62
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Even from a few feet away?
If you hold it a couple of inches away, sure..
True, but things happen....
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #63
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just do pay n spray less than $5 pretty much do it weekly but its funny i dont even wash my daily weekly lol oh well gotta keep her clean
Old 01-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #64
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
Good tip on the pooling method. I'll have to try that.
Just be sure to keep the water from splashing with too high of flow. Once you get the right flow, most all of the water will come off the car (assuming you have a decent coating, sealant or wax on it). You'll never go back to trying dry a soaking wet car again!

Be careful to keep the hose away from the paint.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #65
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
If you dont want paint issues, dont drive it. Keep in in the Garage under a blanket. That way you dont have to clean it. Works for my neighbor who owns a Vette.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #66
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Just be sure to keep the water from splashing with too high of flow. Once you get the right flow, most all of the water will come off the car (assuming you have a decent coating, sealant or wax on it). You'll never go back to trying dry a soaking wet car again!

Be careful to keep the hose away from the paint.
Just saw this for the first time. Will definitely be adopting this as a step before my drying time. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #67
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
So as it stands right now my Camaro has a paint sealant, 2 layers of ceramic wax, a couple spray layers of ceramic boost, a layer of brilliant glaze, and another spray of ceramic boost. And after all that I still have swirls. It's very annoying and frustrating as I've literally spent at minimum 3-400 dollars with Adam's.
Doesn't matter what products you use. If you're rubbing on the paint that much, you'll damage the paint.

Time to start following THE MUSEUM RULE: "The less you touch a thing, the longer it lasts."

Do what GlenE says.

Alternately, if you want to drop some big coin, then do a full paint correction, then full car PPF and durable hydrophobic coating. Then you really don't have to touch it at all other than wash and dry. And use a leaf blower to dry. Keep the toweling to a minimum, zero contact on dry paint is best if you can swing it.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:39 AM   #68
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Toro leaf blower, works awesome to dry it.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #69
4sfed4

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro LT1 Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano_camaro View Post
A lot of good info in this thread. My camaro is black also and after purchasing it pre-owned, it already had tons of swirls from autowashes or something.
I am glad to see that I am not alone in this :-)

I picked up my black LT1 a few days ago with 3 miles on it.....and the swirls were obvious. So, with single digit miles.....Ive already started to see what I might do to improve things.
4sfed4 is offline   Reply With Quote