Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
DrugDoc

Drives: '16 Nightfall Grey 1SS
LT1 Fuel Injector swap question

Hey folks

I've been having some rough idle and misfires (cylinder 7 only) at startup, only a few when running 93 but significantly more when running ethanol, with it being worse the higher the ethanol content. After looking through quite a few threads it looks like a lot of people had similar problems that were fixed when they changed the fuel injector so I've been reading a little about how to go about that.

I guess I'm looking for advice on a good way to go about it since it's my daily driver and I won't know which injector I have until I pull it, especially since the nominal flow seems to be on backorder and nobody carries any of the flows in-house.

It sounds like it's a quick enough process to get the fuel rail out that I could check the part number one day, order it in, then put it in the following weekend, but it sounds like there's a number of things I'm supposed to change out when removing injectors, like the seals and that tubing in the middle whose name is currently escaping me.

When changing one injector I have to replace the seals on all four, but what if I'm just pulling it to get the part number? Would I still have to buy a pack of new seals for step one or if I'm doing it in two steps can I put everything back where it was and just change them when I go back in to swap the injector?

Somebody said a number of shops don't replace that other pipe that feeds the fuel rail, but is there anything else I would need to replace during either step while I'm doing this?

I'm slowly doing more and more stuff to the car myself, but this will probably be the biggest thing I've done and I'm terrified that I'm going to ruin my finally-paid-off DD lol

Thanks!
DrugDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Understand that where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail - that connection should not be re-used, the fuel line needs to be replaced. Its ultra high pressure fuel (2000+psi) so not only is it a leak, it is squirting gas vapor (highly combustable)

Look at doing a leak down test on the cylinder - then check out the lifters and make sure all that stuff is ok first