Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Juttman88

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51 (2LT)
Which catch can is best and why?

So I've been following the forums reading about these catch cans and have decided to purchase one. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to which company is know for making the best ones. As of now I've been eyeing the:

-Mishimoto
-RX Speedworks &
-Elite Engineering

If anyone has any experience or reasoning as to why they chose one over the other i'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any help guys its greatly appreciated!

Dan
Juttman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I think the RX is the best it's really a nice catch can. But its not 2016 camaro specific. However I belive it will be a simple install. I bought the RX monster can and I will be posting install pics when i get my car here.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431514

It comes with 6 diferant install diagrams for you to pic from Its really simple the trick is mounting the monster can because its kinda large. But I went down to my dealer and they were nice enough to pop the hood and take some measurements and Im confident I can mount it to the Left cylinder head under the intake tube. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Juttman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
I think the RX is the best it's really a nice catch can. But its not 2016 camaro specific. However I belive it will be a simple install. I bought the RX monster can and I will be posting install pics when i get my car here.

It comes with 6 diferant install diagrams for you to pic from Its really simple the trick is mounting the monster can because its kinda large. But I went down to my dealer and they were nice enough to pop the hood and take some measurements and Im confident I can mount it to the Left cylinder head under the intake tube. Hope this helps you.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. Look forward to seeing your install!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juttman88 View Post
So I've been following the forums reading about these catch cans and have decided to purchase one. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to which company is know for making the best ones. As of now I've been eyeing the:

-Mishimoto
-RX Speedworks &
-Elite Engineering

If anyone has any experience or reasoning as to why they chose one over the other i'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any help guys its greatly appreciated!

Dan
Thanks for considering our catch can Dan. All of the listed options seem to be nice offerings, the key is to get a setup installed as quickly as you can. We are seeing a good deal of fluid accumulation in our test subject, keeping this from reaching the manifold and/or valves is a wise move for preventative maintenance.

We have an R&D thread in this section of the forum which highlights our development progress, and our kit is currently being offered via a discounted pre-sale. Some of the primary benefits of our kit include:

• Direct-fit application specific molded silicone lines
  • Application specific catch can bracket
  • Unique internally baffled catch can
  • Internal bronze filter for optimal fluid separation

Let me know if I can answer any questions about our kit!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:

I think this is a little biased since you bought a RX can. LOL

I did the research and agree with Mishimoto. The best is one you can put on right away plug and play. That also has good Quality. Other than Mishimoto the other cans you have to custom mount. Not too difficult. My opinion after out weighing all three was I liked the mounting on the Mishimoto and the way they worked with the members on the forum. I plan on doing custom black braided hoses at some point anyways. Although, I will use what is provided for the mean time.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
John are you still thinking the 25th or 26th to ship and end presale price ?

Last edited by VQ35DE; 01-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Juttman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks for considering our catch can Dan. All of the listed options seem to be nice offerings, the key is to get a setup installed as quickly as you can. We are seeing a good deal of fluid accumulation in our test subject, keeping this from reaching the manifold and/or valves is a wise move for preventative maintenance.

We have an R&D thread in this section of the forum which highlights our development progress, and our kit is currently being offered via a discounted pre-sale. Some of the primary benefits of our kit include:

Thanks
-John
Thanks for the response John, I have decided to go with your product. I always appreciate a company that is in touch with the community the way you guys are. I have been watching your videos on YouTube as well, keep up the great work!

Dan
Old 01-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
neal_zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I did the reseach before I bought the RX. you can put the RX on right away unless your a total idiot and not mechanically inclined. All you have to do is cut the hoses to length. there the same hoses as ever other catch can in the world. Hose in hose out. Pretty darn simple.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Thanks
-John
I was under the impression that the 2016 SS had one from the factory. First off, is this true? Secondly, if so, is your's ( that will be specific for the 2016) be a replacement for the factory one, or will it be in addition to it?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
I did the reseach before I bought the RX. you can put the RX on right away unless your a total idiot and not mechanically inclined. All you have to do is cut the hoses to length. there the same hoses as ever other catch can in the world. Hose in hose out. Pretty darn simple.
I agree with you. Easy for some. Some would never make a bracket. I was stating it is really just a can with a one way for liquids valve. Nothing special about either one. Just the features you are looking for. Just not really a best or really different style of catch can.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
neal_zack

Quote:
I agree with you. Easy for some. Some would never make a bracket. I was stating it is really just a can with a one way for liquids valve. Nothing special about either one. Just the features you are looking for. Just not really a best or really different style of catch can.
For sure man. To each there own. They all really nice it's all about how much a guy wants to pay for one you know.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:

I did the research and agree with Mishimoto. The best is one you can put on right away plug and play. That also has good Quality. Other than Mishimoto the other cans you have to custom mount. Not too difficult. My opinion after out weighing all three was I liked the mounting on the Mishimoto and the way they worked with the members on the forum. I plan on doing custom black braided hoses at some point anyways. Although, I will use what is provided for the mean time.
Thanks! As previously stated, looking forward to seeing the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
John are you still thinking the 25th or 26th to ship and end resale price ?
We are going to come very close to this date. I spoke with the project manager handling this one and he noted our hoses should be done the middle of next week. We will be boxing and shipping these in our HQ here in DE so it should be a quick process once the hoses are complete. All other components are done and ready for shipment. Worst case the last orders should ship out by Friday. I will have another update for you on the date tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juttman88 View Post
Thanks for the response John, I have decided to go with your product. I always appreciate a company that is in touch with the community the way you guys are. I have been watching your videos on YouTube as well, keep up the great work!

Dan
Thanks Dan! We are pretty excited to ship out our first batch of kits.

The order is greatly appreciated! Please let us know what you think once the kit arrives, we're all about feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I was under the impression that the 2016 SS had one from the factory. First off, is this true? Secondly, if so, is your's ( that will be specific for the 2016) be a replacement for the factory one, or will it be in addition to it?
Correct, the LT1-powered Camaro does include a factory-equipped AOS system for the breather ports on the engine. This separates fluid from air within the valve cover vents. Unfortunately this does not address any air passing through the PCV circuit, which our catch can addresses. We've found that a significant amount of fluid makes its way through the PCV valve and into the manifold during normal driving conditions. Our catch can is installed within this circuit to filter the air and remove oil contaminants before they reach the manifold.

More on that here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433058

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks
-John
Old 01-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Correct, the LT1-powered Camaro does include a factory-equipped AOS system for the breather ports on the engine. This separates fluid from air within the valve cover vents. Unfortunately this does not address any air passing through the PCV circuit, which our catch can addresses. We've found that a significant amount of fluid makes its way through the PCV valve and into the manifold during normal driving conditions. Our catch can is installed within this circuit to filter the air and remove oil contaminants before they reach the manifold.

More on that here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433058

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks
-John
Thanks for the explanation. That really helped.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Thanks for the explanation. That really helped.
Sure thing!

-John