Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
NEW MEMBER / NEW 2 CAMARO...

Just a few days into ownership.

Time does not allow to read through this entire site, but learning lots, but coming up with some questions.

My immediate need is cleaning the Camaro (it is a convertible).

I am really intrigued by this foam cannon thing (never heard of it before).

What type of pressure washer should I get? Would prefer electric, but what should I be looking for? Saw a Stanley on Amazon, etc.

Watched a few videos on youtube, but unclear of the process.

One video simply sprayed the foam onto a car dry. Let it sit for 3 minutes. Then pressure washed it off and let it air dry.

Another pressure washed it with water, then foam, then began to use a mitt to rub the soap. Then rinsed and dried it.

Anyone have any advice on the process, what to get, etc.

Thanks.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
I have seen it recommended both ways - pressure washer pre-rinse vs. no rinse before foaming. It probably does not make a whole lot of difference either way, but I've been doing the pre-rinse on the Camaro because I just want to do as much as I can to remove any dirt before putting a mitt on the car. My other vehicles I tend to skip that step just to speed things up. Some say get the foam on a dry car so it can start lifting the dirt. I think the most important thing is if you are doing a total car wash as opposed to a rinseless wash, then make sure you do the two bucket method with separate wash and rinse buckets.

Just my opinion, and you will find may more here. Some people are looking to minimize their time caring for their cars and still keeping them nice, and some enjoy doing it. At times I sort of find it therapeutic, as I do cutting the grass.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If you have a pressure washer, rinsing with clean water to remove as much loose stuff before washing the car would be a good first step. Soaking with a foam cannon, followed by a two bucket wash process would be the next step. I don't think soaking the car with foam is going to get it clean. It's provides a better soap lubricant to prevent swirls when washing.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
Just a few days into ownership.

Time does not allow to read through this entire site, but learning lots, but coming up with some questions.

My immediate need is cleaning the Camaro (it is a convertible).

I am really intrigued by this foam cannon thing (never heard of it before).

What type of pressure washer should I get? Would prefer electric, but what should I be looking for? Saw a Stanley on Amazon, etc.

Watched a few videos on youtube, but unclear of the process.

One video simply sprayed the foam onto a car dry. Let it sit for 3 minutes. Then pressure washed it off and let it air dry.

Another pressure washed it with water, then foam, then began to use a mitt to rub the soap. Then rinsed and dried it.

Anyone have any advice on the process, what to get, etc.

Thanks.
You can also get foam guns that just hook to the hose, if you dont want to buy a pressure washer. Foam cannons make shaving cream thick foam. Foam guns make bubble bath thick foam.

So if you want to do a TOUCHLESS wash: rinse car, spray with foam cannon, rinse again and dry with a electric leaf blower. If your car is not too dirty, this is a great way to clean it with no risk of scratching with a mitt or drying towel.

Check out the TWO BUCKET METHOD of washing and also the RINSELESS method of washing. Both are the preferred ways to wash your car currently. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The best advice I can give you is don't do anything until you have the right information and products. Learn as much as you can before jumping in. It's a lesson I learned the hard way.

Also, the one thing that will really affect how you decide to wash you car is water quality. Out here in AZ we have terribly hard water and it makes washing a nightmare. If you are serious about doing a touchless wash (foam cannon, rinse, blow dry) look into a water deionizer from a reputable company like Simple Chucks. These types of systems will remove almost all of the contaminants from your hose water and allow for a no touch drying. The drying stage is where most mistakes are made.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
CamaroSS50

Thanks!

Los Angeles water isn't much better than AZ.

I am bringing the car in to a hand washing detail place tomorrow.

Looking at getting a gas pressure washer:
A-i Power 2700 PSI 2.3-GPM Gas Pressure Washer

Is CG the way to go Foam Cannon wise or are there other suggestions?

Anyone with a convertible that does this?

Thanks for time on this.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I personally prefer Adam's products over CG's but I am no expert. Kirk and Glen are the resident pro's (among others) and can probably guide you better.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks for time on this.
I have $100 foam cannons and $15 foam cannons. The only difference that I have found is that the cheaper ones have brittle plastic bottles that break more easily if you drop them or screw the head on too tightly.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks for time on this.
Since you live in LA you are probably concerned with conserving water so the rinseless wash method would work well for you. There are plenty of YouTube videos. Look for videos by Mike Phillips of AutoGeek.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
I personally prefer Adam's products over CG's but I am no expert. Kirk and Glen are the resident pro's (among others) and can probably guide you better.
Yes we both have unique experience. Glen has detailed cars for years, and focuses on ease of use and convenience. I have only detailed cars for 2 years, but I now detail 3-5 cars per week with my mobile detailing business, and I focus on products for those of us who can't stop rubbing on our cars.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
CamaroSS50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Since you live in LA you are probably concerned with conserving water so the rinseless wash method would work well for you. There are plenty of YouTube videos. Look for videos by Mike Phillips of AutoGeek.
Not concerned about water.

I have been detailing my own cars for years, when I have the time. But joining this community has opened my eyes to some other processes I was not aware of.

Plus, this is my first VERT, so want to do it right all around with what works on a Camaro.

I don't have to worry so much about this with my Hummer.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
KirkH

Quote:
Not concerned about water.

I have been detailing my own cars for years, when I have the time. But joining this community has opened my eyes to some other processes I was not aware of.

Plus, this is my first VERT, so want to do it right all around with what works on a Camaro.

I don't have to worry so much about this with my Hummer.
I know a lot of people in LA live in communities that don't allow hoses for washing cars. With the rinseless method, you can wash your car in a safe way that only uses about 3 gallons of water.