Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Turbo 4 has been a pleasant surprise this winter.

Last year winter not so bad so really never got a feel for how this car would do. Fast forward to this year and its been a rough winter thus far. I just want to say what a champ this car is. Snow, ice, slick roads whatever, it handled like a champ. Using snow/ice mode and of course keeping your foot out of it and it handles the weather very nicely. I'm not talking feet of snow, but less than a foot. I just want to say thank you Chevrolet for this awesome car.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Don't think the last two generations had any real design flaws in the snow my 5th gen was a tank and the 6th gen has done about aswell with more to the wheels and over 700 lbs less.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
This thing tracks better in the snow than my old cherokee! It's a little challenging to get going but once you do the car is great. Just try not to stop on hills and keep your momentum up and take off the traction control if you start to spin. With my m6 the traction control will actually stall the car out with it on.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
I HATE people asking me “so how was the drive, must be tough in that car?” I tell them nope! It was actually awesome in the snow. Now, it’s no Brabus, but man this is truly a GREAT daily driver with some all seasons.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
jaycee0919

Drives: 2017 2.0T Coupe
I recently started using Snow/Ice mode and I can say for a fact, it is a totally different car - like 100% different. I used to have the Ecoboost and I had one heck of a time going up even the slightest incline with ice, not so with the i4

Of course, remembering to turn it on is another thing entirely

My guess is it cuts the torque in half....does that sound right?
jaycee0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Snow/Ice mode starts auto cars in 2nd gear from a stop for reduced wheel torque and wheelspin and changes the shift schedule while in motion.

On both auto and manual cars, traction control and Stbillitrak are in their most sensitive states, likely pulling spark timing a bit.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
vaspen

Drives: 2017 l4 blue 6speed
I believe it cuts throttle response by 60% pop it in snow mode and slowly give throttle until It cuts to normal
then do the same in sport and feel for that same torque feeling vs pedal travel
vaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
jaycee0919

Drives: 2017 2.0T Coupe
Ahhhh thanks for the information guys - the handling is pretty impressive
jaycee0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
tthobe

Drives: '17 RS Turbo, Red Hot
Also completely amazed how good it handles in snow/ice setting. I've fitted mine with 18" winter rims & blizzaks (pic below), and combined with snow/ice mode I've had no issues at all. (And we've had some quite nasty snow around Toronto in the last few weeks.)
In addition to extra traction control sensitivity and starting in 2nd gear, I also believe it's cutting the boost from the turbo. In the worst (most slippery) weather I'm having the engine rev a bit more than normal (altered shift point?) but with no big torque push. Whatever it's doing it's working great, giving me excellent control & confidence.

Kudos Chevy!
Attached Images

Last edited by tthobe; 02-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
tthobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Old urban legends die hard. When RWD cars had 70% of their weight on the front wheels, they were terrible in the snow. The tire compounds were dramatically less adaptable, torque delivery was more on/off, etc. People don't realize that the nearly 50/50 weight distribution of the Alpha platform and all the modern technology advancements make thse RWD cars totally bearable in the winter.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

5th gen though a tank in weight was the same story modern RWD is actually better then most FWD in the snow now.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #12
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
I HATE people asking me “so how was the drive, must be tough in that car?” I tell them nope! It was actually awesome in the snow. Now, it’s no Brabus, but man this is truly a GREAT daily driver with some all seasons.
Tire choice plays a HUGE role in how the car handles inclement weather. I've not gotten stuck with the OEM 18 inch Goodyear All Seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
Old urban legends die hard. When RWD cars had 70% of their weight on the front wheels, they were terrible in the snow. The tire compounds were dramatically less adaptable, torque delivery was more on/off, etc. People don't realize that the nearly 50/50 weight distribution of the Alpha platform and all the modern technology advancements make thse RWD cars totally bearable in the winter.
Yet another great reason! 4th Gen LT1's were a complete bitch to drive in the snow due to the monsterous torque down low in the rev range. It is significantly easier to drive an LS1 4th Gen in the snow since they made torque a couple thousand RPM higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
5th gen though a tank in weight was the same story modern RWD is actually better then most FWD in the snow now.
Definitely wouldn't go that far... An FWD car will be able to get through deeper snow due to physics alone. Much easier to pull than push.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Tire choice plays a HUGE role in how the car handles inclement weather. I've not gotten stuck with the OEM 18 inch Goodyear All Seasons.

Yet another great reason! 4th Gen LT1's were a complete bitch to drive in the snow due to the monsterous torque down low in the rev range. It is significantly easier to drive an LS1 4th Gen in the snow since they made torque a couple thousand RPM higher!

Definitely wouldn't go that far... An FWD car will be able to get through deeper snow due to physics alone. Much easier to pull than push.
Maybe in that respect alone but I'd much rather lose control in a RWD vehicle then FWD

Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
MiBowtie

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Hey guys, new here so first thank you for all the great info! I just got a 2017 Camaro 1 LT i4 with the RS package and was wondering how those run-flats work in the snow.
MiBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote