Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
EstebanVerde

Drives: 16 2SS Camaro
Mylink Screen Dead

Started up today and when I went to backup I realized my Mylink screen was black (still had lighting like it was on but just completely blank). I've turned the car on and off played around in the fuse box to no avail. Music plays and can be changed with the physical buttons, but other than that no access to the mylink. Bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. I really love my Camaro, but the continuous issues (diff noise, light throttle whistle noise, rattle from the oil line recall, and other various rattles) from a brand new 40k+ car are starting to wear on me.
EstebanVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
mjmenke

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Kind of late now but you need to turn the car off for at least 4 minutes to let all of the different computers fully power off. Then turn it on. If you don't the processor that is causing the issues might not reboot.

This may or may not help.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
If the 4 minute wait (or longer) doesn't work, OnStar may be able to reboot it for you.

That worked for me on a different GM car with MyLink.

BTW, the wait has to include taking the key out and opening and closing the driver's door.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Sounds like the HMI module is hung up, exact same thing that happened on my 2016 truck.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
EstebanVerde

Thanks for all the replies. None of the restarts seemed to help. I took it to the dealer and they said they ordered a part. Sounds like it was probably the HMI. Will let you guys know when I get the car back.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
EstebanVerde

Got my car back tonight. Nothing makes you appreciate your camaro like driving a barebones Malibu for a week. Apparently the dealer replaced the controller. I was happy that my Bluetooth connection and presets were all still there when I got the car back.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
uberjeff

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I had this happen to me once. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. After a restart the problem was resolved and hasn't returned.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjeff View Post
I had this happen to me once. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. After a restart the problem was resolved and hasn't returned.
Same for me, I had it happen one time 6 months ago and I disconnected the battery after the screen not coming back on (music still played) and it reset and never happened again.
pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Silverado57

Mine just went black an hour ago. I tried a few restarts, pulled the F16 fuse and used the Onstar button to turn the radio audio back on when that went quiet. Everything else seems OK.
We're on our way to Camarofest so we don't have any tools to disconnect the battery.
Of course, all the dealers are closed now, tomorrow is Sunday, so I'm hoping it'll fix itself.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
Mine just went black an hour ago. I tried a few restarts, pulled the F16 fuse and used the Onstar button to turn the radio audio back on when that went quiet. Everything else seems OK.
We're on our way to Camarofest so we don't have any tools to disconnect the battery.
Of course, all the dealers are closed now, tomorrow is Sunday, so I'm hoping it'll fix itself.

Just need a 10mm socket to unhook the negative terminal in the trunk.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Silverado57

So far the dealer replaced the radio as part of the diagnosis.
I'm no expert but I would have been shocked if it was only the radio that was bad.
They called me yesterday afternoon to tell me they had to order the HMI module. It should be here on Monday.
Of course this weekend is gorgeous and all the cool kids are driving around in their convertibles.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
maybe it's something really simple. I had something like this happen once. I had been fiddling with the brightness knob for the display brightness setting (to the left of the steering column). It's possible to turn it down so far that the screens will be blank.

Hope this helps!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Reviving this.

My screen went blank a month ago. USB was super glitchy, connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. But bluetooth kind of worked ...touch screen worked.

Got a new hmi unit from gen5diy finally ...put that in, the usb appears to not be glitchy anymore...but the screen still wont come on.

Leaving the battery off again for the entire night but I did that with the original hmi and it didn't help.

I dont know what else could be causing this. I find it hard to believe that the harness would just randomly go bad ..it's not like the parts move and I dont see any evidence of wires melting. Would the display itself be bad?

Does anyone have any info on what actually fixes these problems ....or is it always the dealer has the car for a month and replaces xyz and only mentions all the parts they ordered to fix it but not exactly which part was bad?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
had battery unplugged all night, still no change.

So as far as i can see in the circuit diagram, the video signal goes from the hmi unit to the display unit I guess i'll beep the cable out and see if it spontaneously failed.

Only other option I can see is the display unit. Unless something else can force the hmi unit to not output video but still do everything else.

Does the display unit actually get vin coded like i think it does? It's infuriating that this pos only comes altogether with a custom plastic piece and extraneous hardware. Costs 400 before programming (if programming is required). Already spent about 1k on the replacement hmi. So 1400 to fix a stock av system that does nothing useful for me but act as a dumb terminal for android auto and the backup camera. I'm starting to be glad the market is punishing chevy for their choices by not buying it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote