Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #71
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
It won't be their new 10-spd auto at least. All the data I have been reading says that won't be ready till 2017 at least.

In '11 they came out with a new motor which is why. I doubt they are working on a new motor at this point with GT350/GT500 work still ongoing, but it's possible. More than likely we will see a slight bump from some intake/exhaust work trickle down from the GT350 to the base GT.
That 10 speed automatic is being co developed with GM. They both get it at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It's a safe bet they are working on a Coyote update to try to match the LT1. The best way to prevent that is to release an LT1 making more than 460 hp in the SS.
Love that thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Don't forget the GT350 and GT350R.
Likely Ford's big play for 2016..........I hope.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #72
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
D.I and hotter cams.
I think DI would be a major revision, pretty much a different engine. ...Cam driven fuel pump, heads with an injector hole, new intake.

I think they already took a pass at the low hanging fruit with their 2015 update:

Quote:
  • Larger intake valves
  • Larger exhaust valves
  • Revised intake camshafts
  • Revised exhaust camshafts
  • Stiffer valve springs ensure valves close completely at high rpm
  • New cylinder head casting – revised ports provide straighter path to the valves for less restrictive intake and exhaust flow; combustion chamber modifications accommodate larger valves
  • Sinter forged connecting rods are lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
  • Redesigned piston tops – deeper cutouts clear the new larger valves
  • Rebalanced forged crankshaft to support higher-rpm operation
These upgrades have boosted output of the V8 to 435 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.
They won't need a huge bump, but without more displacement they may be running out of road.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #73
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
It would be a monumental waste of money for Ford to put a different engine into the 2016 Mustang GT. Its a mainstream engine. Its not a specialty engine like what comes in a SVT, GT500, GT350 or Cobra or other low production car. I am sure the car will get DI at some point but no way will it be the 2016 MY. That would make the 2015 Coyote a one year engine and Ford would lose tons of money. It will take a lot of R&D, production, mfg and testing to change the current Coyote to DI. I don't see that happening till at least the 2018 MY. A revised tune with induction and exhaust changes is probably the most that will happen to the current Coyote for a max of 15 HP and very little torque.

The other thing that most don't seem to comprehend either is that the LT1 is no where near maxed out. I see that engine getting bumped up to 470-480 HP by the 2017 MY maybe 2018 MY at the latest. That is one good thing about the Camaro always receiving the Vette engine. The Vette engine constantly gets updated, improved and with more power.

On to the 10speed. That's a joint venture between GM and Ford so Camaro could get that trans as well but probably not until at least MY 2018. I think there has to be a point though were shift times out weigh any gearing and gear spacing advantage. Don't know if that point will be the future 10speed or a future 12 speed but at some point I think that much shifting will hurt more than the gearing helps.

I think we will continue to see a 5-10HP and over 40TQ gap between SS and GT but now with the SS weighing super close I think it will be game over. Maybe not like the 4th gen era but I think it will be a bigger split then it is currently.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #74
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Honestly it would be silly for the Camaro to not out perform the current Mustang. the Mustang is on sale and in production. it wouldn't take much for GM to grab one and use it for benchmark testing. its not like the mustangs performance numbers are a mystery.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #75
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Unless GM took the Ford route and built a car slower and less efficient than its predecessor, its obvious that the Camaro will outperform the Mustang. The current, outgoing Camaro out performs it despite being at a disadvantage in both power and weight.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #76
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Honestly it would be silly for the Camaro to not out perform the current Mustang. the Mustang is on sale and in production. it wouldn't take much for GM to grab one and use it for benchmark testing. its not like the mustangs performance numbers are a mystery.
The development of the 6th gen Camaro has been going on much longer than they would have had to grab a 15 mustang. By that time everything would probably have been designed. The only tweeks they could probably make in the tuning. But then with EPA certifications that would be a difficult thing to do on short notice.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #77
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
The development of the 6th gen Camaro has been going on much longer than they would have had to grab a 15 mustang. By that time everything would probably have been designed. The only tweeks they could probably make in the tuning. But then with EPA certifications that would be a difficult thing to do on short notice.
i more meant that they know already if its faster or slower. so when they give responses like this, its the truth...not speculation
Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #78
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It would be all but impossible for GM to "react" to the 2015 Mustang. Powertrain choices were made well before the Mustang launch. Interior and exterior styling? Tools were kicked off probably not much after the Mustang launch. The die was cast quite some time ago.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #79
68fbjjz109

Drives: 15 GTPP, CUCV Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
It would be a monumental waste of money for Ford to put a different engine into the 2016 Mustang GT. Its a mainstream engine. Its not a specialty engine like what comes in a SVT, GT500, GT350 or Cobra or other low production car. I am sure the car will get DI at some point but no way will it be the 2016 MY. That would make the 2015 Coyote a one year engine and Ford would lose tons of money. It will take a lot of R&D, production, mfg and testing to change the current Coyote to DI. I don't see that happening till at least the 2018 MY. A revised tune with induction and exhaust changes is probably the most that will happen to the current Coyote for a max of 15 HP and very little torque.

The coyote was set up for DI from the get go. It was cut due to cost. The Current coyote is far from a waste a drew heavily from the Roadrunner. Not alot of R&D spent on the powertrain in general in comparison to chassis and suspension.

This being said Ford is in the business to sell cars, and they are selling alot of S550's and that doesn't even take into consideration overseas cars.

I think the 6gen GTPP will have a hard time with the 6Gen SS, even though the GTPP are doing very well against the 1LE's in HPDE and FS autocross events.
68fbjjz109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #80
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fbjjz109 View Post
The coyote was set up for DI from the get go. It was cut due to cost. The Current coyote is far from a waste a drew heavily from the Roadrunner. Not alot of R&D spent on the powertrain in general in comparison to chassis and suspension.

This being said Ford is in the business to sell cars, and they are selling alot of S550's and that doesn't even take into consideration overseas cars.

I think the 6gen GTPP will have a hard time with the 6Gen SS, even though the GTPP are doing very well against the 1LE's in HPDE and FS autocross events.
Yes but even so it takes a lot of R&D and money to make the switch to DI
Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #81
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fbjjz109 View Post

What about the Voodoo engine in the GT350, will it be DI?
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote