Old 07-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #15
John Blue SS

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
use it always...smoother than my shifting
John Blue SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I tend to use it more often than not. This car seems to have a Jekyll and Hyde complex with the clutch points, more so than any other manual I've had. The rev match helps in traffic for sure.

Last edited by Jaxcam02; 07-30-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Always
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #18
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I tend to use it more often than not. This car seems to have a Jekyll and Hyde complex with the clutch points, more so than any other manual I've had. The rev match helps in traffic so sure.
This is, without a doubt, the most finicky manual car I've ever driven. I've learned the nuisances for the most part but when you're working the clutch and throttle in stop and go traffic or from a roll at a stop sign it still gets me sometime and I'm not smooth. I've added the Soler throttle controller and it helps a bit but I can still get the car to act stupid by modulating the throttle quickly when pulling out. It's in the CPU and until I'm willing to get it tuned it will always be there. I'm almost at 2 years old (just getting ready to turn 4k), next summer it's getting tuned guaranteed!
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I like the sound, 1, and it does make my downshifts smoother. I never learned this heel and toe method, I was A LOT of self-taught with a manual. I did try and learn to bump the throttle on my Mustang on a 3>2 but that wasn't too hot. But I love this rev match now.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I use it 100% on the street. It just makes the vehicle so much more fun when I don't have to nail it to feel successful.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #21
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The best is for an ultra smooth 6>3 or 5>3 down shift to pass another car on two lane.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Just a quick question for people who use it on the street. Can you tell a difference in MPH when using it as opposed to not using it?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #23
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Just a quick question for people who use it on the street. Can you tell a difference in MPH when using it as opposed to not using it?
What do you mean?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #24
JROC
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
What do you mean?
Okay so for example I'm slowing up for a turn. I push the clutch in and start rowing the gears down (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd) while braking. Everytime you downshift it blips the throttle up increasing the engine speed noticeably. (Again the clutch is still compressed) That puts a lot more revolutions on the motor in X many miles than there otherwise would be if you don't rev match. More RPM's generally mean less MPG.

The only way know to counter this while using rev match is to leave it in the gear you started to clutch in, and just before you go to let off the clutch to go from the gear you were in, to the gear you're wanting to accelerate out the turn in. (Let's just say going directly from 6th to 2nd)

IMO the rev match is great for tracking the car, but in street driving I find it to be annoying to deal with.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #25
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Turn it on as soon as I crank her. Plus I remember reading and for some reason feel like when going UP thru gears the shifts are smoother when rev match is engaged.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #26
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Quote:

IMO the rev match is great for tracking the car, but in street driving I find it to be annoying to deal with.
It is not really necessary for urban street driving, but you didn’t buy a 450 HP pony car for the mpg, either, did you. If you choose to burn a little gas to be “racy”, what’s the harm.

There is a certain satisfaction in rowing through the gears, executing well matched gear shifts that minimize shock to the drivetrain, not to mention clutch wear. I’ve been doing heel/toe matching on the track since I started in 1991. It is essential to keep from unsettling the car or damaging the drivetrain. It really takes practice to avoid altering brake pressure while executing the throttle blip, but that’s part of the challenge, and the fun of track driving. On the track in the ZLE, I use rev matching because it is one less thing for me to screw up while braking into a low speed turn from 150. Yeah, it’s cheating a bit, but I can live with that!
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Okay so for example I'm slowing up for a turn. I push the clutch in and start rowing the gears down (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd) while braking. Everytime you downshift it blips the throttle up increasing the engine speed noticeably. (Again the clutch is still compressed) That puts a lot more revolutions on the motor in X many miles than there otherwise would be if you don't rev match. More RPM's generally mean less MPG.

The only way know to counter this while using rev match is to leave it in the gear you started to clutch in, and just before you go to let off the clutch to go from the gear you were in, to the gear you're wanting to accelerate out the turn in. (Let's just say going directly from 6th to 2nd)

No-load RPM's don't make a huge difference in MPG overall.

I use it every now and then and have never seen any noticeable change in my fuel economy either way.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #28
JROC
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
It is not really necessary for urban street driving, but you didn’t buy a 450 HP pony car for the mpg, either, did you. If you choose to burn a little gas to be “racy”, what’s the harm.

There is a certain satisfaction in rowing through the gears, executing well matched gear shifts that minimize shock to the drivetrain, not to mention clutch wear. I’ve been doing heel/toe matching on the track since I started in 1991. It is essential to keep from unsettling the car or damaging the drivetrain. It really takes practice to avoid altering brake pressure while executing the throttle blip, but that’s part of the challenge, and the fun of track driving. On the track in the ZLE, I use rev matching because it is one less thing for me to screw up while braking into a low speed turn from 150. Yeah, it’s cheating a bit, but I can live with that!

Well my 1LE is my DD. But yes I got it because it's fun.

IMO if you want to use rev match then more power to you. I'm just saying that for street driving unless you're on a mountain run or something I don't really see much a benefit to it and for me it gets annoying having the throttle blip every time I take the car out of gear. If there's a good reason to run it on the street other than just for a cool factor then I'm definitely willing to consider using it, but I can't see a reason to use it for the majority of street driving. Even during spirit driving I don't find myself liking the rev match especially with the overly aggressive/impeding T/C system.