#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #71
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Yeah that was really quite silly of them to reuse the paddles that control the transmission in automatic cars to provide a function that... controls the transmission. Very confusing, bewildering even... exactly the same as using a wiper stalk to start the car, even!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #72
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Yeah that was really quite silly of them to reuse the paddles that control the transmission in automatic cars to provide a function that... controls the transmission. Very confusing, bewildering even... exactly the same as using a wiper stalk to start the car, even!
Actually, the functions are quite different.

In an automatic, the paddles put the transmission into a specific gear based on the "clicks" you apply.

In a manual, the paddles turn on/off sensors in the transmission that may cause the engine RPM to increase based on attempting to shift (by hand) into a particular gear. So, there really is no actual "control" of the transmission from the paddles in a manual car.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #73
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
It's probably just easier for them to do it that way given the parts bin. Just paint them differently and now they can go on the manual models.

And heh, I like trolling people with it. "Look, my manual car has 'paddle shifters'!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Not in the current setup. And using the paddles to turn Rev Match on and off is idiotic. What’s next - flipping the wiper lever to start the car? Rev Match should be a separate switch or screen setting, with ON as the default (even though there are probably emissions and safety considerations that prevent that from happening).
Manual MINI and BMW owners would like to have a word with you...

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #74
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Manual MINI and BMW owners would like to have a word with you...
Why? I’ve owned both in the last 3 years.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #75
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Why? I’ve owned both in the last 3 years.
From what I have heard, I believe in the M car you can at least customize it to have it off while outside of M mode, but in the MINI it's on unless you turn traction control off.

If you know how to turn rev match off while having traction control on, let me know, because I know someone who can't figure it out and he is very frustrated because of it.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 08-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #76
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Wasn’t a problem with the BMW, because mine had the gawdawful DCT. My 89-year-old mother’s Altima was more fun to drive. Regarding the MINI, I believe it was an engine-dependent mandatory option; my JCW didn’t have it. The owner’s manual must have been written by Miss America, because all it says is, “Depending on the engine installation, the engine speed during a shifting operation is adjusted automatically as required for harmonious and dynamic gear shifting.” I assume it’s tied into turning off traction control to make shifts smoother for driving on snow and ice - especially under braking, when the front wheels will lock up and slide if you dump the clutch.

Sorry ... not much help.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #77
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Wasn’t a problem with the BMW, because mine had the gawdawful DCT. My 89-year-old mother’s Altima was more fun to drive. Regarding the MINI, I believe it was an engine-dependent mandatory option; my JCW didn’t have it. The owner’s manual must have been written by Miss America, because all it says is, “Depending on the engine installation, the engine speed during a shifting operation is adjusted automatically as required for harmonious and dynamic gear shifting.” I assume it’s tied into turning off traction control to make shifts smoother for driving on snow and ice - especially under braking, when the front wheels will lock up and slide if you dump the clutch.

Sorry ... not much help.
I have heard there are some recent advancements in the aftermarket with BMW DCT. There are now some ways to tune their shift points and you can change out the diff for a different ratio without the computer screaming at you.

With the MINI, that's weird, since my buddy also has a JCW and he couldn't figure out how to turn the rev match off without turning off the TC. I mean it's a neat feature, but not something I want to have on by default. If it remembers the setting between ignition cycles, that would be perfect.

Past:
Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #78
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Quote:
Not in the current setup. And using the paddles to turn Rev Match on and off is idiotic. What’s next - flipping the wiper lever to start the car? Rev Match should be a separate switch or screen setting, with ON as the default (even though there are probably emissions and safety considerations that prevent that from happening).
Wow! You guys are tough. While I don't use rev match much I appreciate the ease of turning it on and off with a fingertip. My eyes never leave the road and my hands stay on the wheel. I think its a fine solution. I have never once hit the paddles by mistake like some others complain.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #79
Artood2s

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Wow! You guys are tough. While I don't use rev match much I appreciate the ease of turning it on and off with a fingertip. My eyes never leave the road and my hands stay on the wheel. I think its a fine solution. I have never once hit the paddles by mistake like some others complain.
This.

Pre-pandemic I used rev-match almost always during my morning commute until I got to the parking garage (or in heavy traffic), and then I would turn it off because the blips are a little much when puttering around at low speed. On the way back home, I tend to have it off. With more casual driving, my use depends on the conditions and/or familiarity with the route. Having the controls on the paddles makes it easy. I only wish it remembered the setting when turning off the car (like most driving modes).
Artood2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #80
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I leave it on for street driving. I like the blip when throwing it in neutral coming to a light.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #81
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
My other favorite is some dude stepping out into the street to demand I slow down. Was doing 20 in a 30 mph neighborhood street with sport mode exhaust. I put it in neutral and revved up in his face, he's never tried that again...probably lost some hearing acuity there
Back in the early 90s, my 80 Camaro had a 3K stall converter and sonic turbos, so it sounded like I was racing everywhere (though typically I was lol).
Same scenario..leaving a friends house on a residential side street, actually not going fast but taking off from a stop sign, and this guy comes booking out of his front yard into the street, assumingly because he thinks I'm flying, sees I'm doing like 15 MPH, just points at me and gives me this look like "Damn right you are going slow or I would have yelled at you!". I just gave him a look of bewilderment because I didn't understand at the time what he was doing.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #82
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:

Sorry ... not much help.
I have a 2015 base MINI with the 1.5L 3-cylinder and a 6-speed manual. It does have the rev match feature and like others have said, it can only be disabled by turning off the traction control. The owner's manual does not mention the rev match feature at all.

I personally like the feature so I would not turn it off even if I could.

In the Camaro, I enable rev match every time I drive the car, whether on street or track.

My main reasons for either using rev match (if available) or blipping the throttle on downshifts are to reduce driveline wear and make the downshift smoother.

Here's a good technical explanation of the benefits of rev-matching:

https://drivingfast.net/rev-matching/
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #83
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I turned mine off by mistake at least twice while on track last week. Must be those hands flailing away at the wheel.... I’d like a latching setting in the on-screen settings, like steering and exhaust.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #84
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I wouldn't have bought the car if it didn't have rev match. While I can heal toe, I'm 6'7" and not that nimble with my feet, so I wouldn't feel safe tracking a car this fast without it. Also happy to be able to turn it on and off with a quick pull on a paddle. As others have mentioned, there are certain circumstances in city driving where it's reving when I don't need it.

My only real complaint is that they didn't put a permanent indicator on the dash indicating when it is on. Occasionally, I've forgotten to turn it on when getting on the track, or accidentally turned it off on some tight corners. Then I have to toggle it to check the status. They have all this real estate on the digital dash that's unused, why not include a simple icon to indicate rev match is on? Also would be handy to have an indicator for which track mode you're in. Instead, they wasted space with largely useless indicators like the g meter and diff lockup. If you're going flat out around a corner, it's not the best time to be taking your eyes of the road to look at the screen, and odds are your hands are blocking the dash anyway. Too bad the screen layout isn't something you can design yourself, like a lot of the OBD2 diagnostic phone apps.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote