Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Pcormier66

Drives: 2019 ZLE
18" wheels and brake degradation

Noob here. Just purchased a 2019 ZLE. It's waiting for me in Chillicothe, OH. I'm in Dallas. The drive home will be the perfect break-in. Super excited.

I've been reading about 18" wheels and brake performance degradation due to reduced caliper clearance. Is their actual data (empirical or anecdotal) to support that claim or is it theoretical? I'd like to get a set of 18" wheels in stock size/offset to increase my tire choices. I don't need to be a hero at the track every event. But brakes are the most important performance variable to me. I don't want to waste to a single brain cell worrying about brakes.

Thx
Pcormier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Don't understand your question. The challenge with an 18 inch wheel is will it fit over the ZL1 caliper. If one does, the quality of tire will impact the braking distance...possibly even the diameter compared to OEM. Seems folks run a Michelin for better street performance.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
There is no brake degradation due to reduced caliper clearance.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
There is no brake degradation due to reduced caliper clearance.
Not per se, but apparently brakes tend to run hotter with smaller rims. To what extend i dont know. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #5
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I think I have experienced what the OP is asking about actually. I've attached pics of my front brake pads which saw 3 track days. Two of them on old cup 2 tires on stock 19" wheels and one day with used Pirelli slicks on 18inch wheels. Almost all of the tapering seemed to have happened on the final day when I used slicks. The wheel barrel clearance was really tight. My thought is that the pads tapered poorly towards the bottom of the calipers because that seems to be the hottest part of the caliper (appears to get less airflow). Of course running stickier tires would wear brakes down more, but if the heat distribution was more even I'd expect fast but fairly even wear.

I could be wrong though. I had pad taper on my old SS 1LE too but never anything like this. IIRC it did taper more when I ran 18" wheels with RS4s mounted but I am not certain.
Attached Images

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not per se, but apparently brakes tend to run hotter with smaller rims. To what extend i dont know. Cheers!
This i agree with, we don't have the data to prove how much difference, but there will obviously be reduced airflow with such tight clearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
I think I have experienced what the OP is asking about actually. I've attached pics of my front brake pads which saw 3 track days. Two of them on old cup 2 tires on stock 19" wheels and one day with used Pirelli slicks on 18inch wheels. Almost all of the tapering seemed to have happened on the final day when I used slicks. The wheel barrel clearance was really tight. My thought is that the pads tapered poorly towards the bottom of the calipers because that seems to be the hottest part of the caliper (appears to get less airflow). Of course running stickier tires would wear brakes down more, but if the heat distribution was more even I'd expect fast but fairly even wear.

I could be wrong though. I had pad taper on my old SS 1LE too but never anything like this. IIRC it did taper more when I ran 18" wheels with RS4s mounted but I am not certain.
Wow that is some extreme pad taper. Do you flip pads? Everytime i have tried that I have gotten a bad result.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
If the 18s you get are anything like the oems 18s you will need to cut about half inch off front brake ducts
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
This i agree with, we don't have the data to prove how much difference, but there will obviously be reduced airflow with such tight clearances.

Wow that is some extreme pad taper. Do you flip pads? Everytime i have tried that I have gotten a bad result.
Pads weren't flipped. I think it is the increased heat from running stickier tires and less airflow with 18s.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote