Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
What's on the tire sidewall is the maximum inflation pressure, not a recommended pressure for any application.
I realize that... but for proper tire wear on normal street driving what's on the door is always on the low end. I'll stick closer to the max.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #30
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I run 4S... 32-34 psi is fine. tire wear is controlled by right pedal.. for most part.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
The sidewall kind of curves in towards the tread instead of being straight and blocky like on the Goodyears. Looks a little less aggressive. It isn't bad, but small things bother some.
That "some" is me. Very picky!
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Any pics

Pretty sure I'm going to put these on my extra set of ZLE wheels.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #33
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I realize that... but for proper tire wear on normal street driving what's on the door is always on the low end. I'll stick closer to the max.
That's not how tire wear works. I recommend reading up on TireRack's Research page on tire pressures.

The listed tire pressures on the door jamb are going to give the best combination of tire performance attributes, including wear. If you're doing highly loaded and/or high speed driving, then there are charts for tire load ratings to determine how much the tire pressure should be raised.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #34
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
That's not how tire wear works. I recommend reading up on TireRack's Research page on tire pressures.

The listed tire pressures on the door jamb are going to give the best combination of tire performance attributes, including wear. If you're doing highly loaded and/or high speed driving, then there are charts for tire load ratings to determine how much the tire pressure should be raised.

Correct, if you go to the tire manufactures sight and find your tire it will have the tires max weight load rating. That is for 1 tire, then find out the # for all 4 tires and that gives you the max load all of your tires can hold or handle at the max air pressure.

Example here, the SS 1LE GY F1 Gen 3 tires are rated at 1521lbs for the front and 1709lbs for the rear, that means the entire set can handle 6460lbs at the max inflation pressure of 50psi for the front and 51psi for the rear. That is the weight for the car, the fluids, the occupants, stuff in the car and so on. If the 1LE weighs 3750lbs and with a driver and stuff you have another 300lbs then you are at 4050lbs. 4050lbs is 62% of the max weight of the tire.

The front tires are rates at 50 psi, the rears are 51 psi. 60% of the front tires max psi is 31 psi, the rears is 31.62 or 32 psi. That is off the hip from me guessing that GM figures on 300lbs in addition to the vehicle weight.

That is pretty dang close to the door card info and suggestion. So again, running max psi based on the tires sidewall is not the best way to adjust air pressure. It should be done based on how the tire is wearing, with the factory suggesting 32psi I would start from there, I highly doubt you will need more than +/- 2psi for daily street driving over what the factory suggested.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #35
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Now that I went and looked, replacing the stock tires with the Michelin Pilot 4S puts you at 1984lbs for the front and 1929lbs for the rears for the max weight or 7826 for the total weight. Max PSI is 50 for the front and rears.

Same 4050lbs for the 1LE weight is 52% of the max weight the tires can handle, at 50psi with 52% of the pressure that puts you at 26psi roughly in each tire. 26psi might be a smidge low as I am not sure what the trip point is for the TPMS system.

Still I tend use the wear pattern on the tire as a good judge of if the tire is running enough pressure or not and adjust from there.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:

My bad and you are correct. I wasn't taking into consideration Camaro performance tires like the F3 have max 50 psi. I normally keep mine ~35 and no where close to that.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #37
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Seems like I really need 3 sets of wheels and tires. Street, track and snow. I picked up 265/40/19 Michelin PA4 for snow. I can see going with the PS4S for street, I've had many sets of PS tires over the years and while they ride a bit on the soft side they do perform well on the street and in the rain.
Or park it and get a hoop-d to drive in crap. Lot less fuss and worry.