Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Aftermarket Torque Converter

Does any one make an aftermarket converter for the V6? All I can find are for the V8s.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Not yet one is in the works by Tracy Lewis performance. Keep an eye on my IG @hyperhawkcamaro and YouTube as well as here because as soon as one can be installed it will be and we can see what a diff it will make at the track. Right now you cannot launch these cars as how the torque converter works it just creates slip and bog on the launch I've learned anything over 1500 rpm is cause for slower times. The higher stall converter will allow for much more aggressive launch and better 60ft times as well as 0-60 and 0-100 times. Once things get moving I'll keep everyone updated right now there is no exact eta but.. just soon.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
RxSummit16

The main reason I ask is because of the shudder issue and I am tuned so I think the odds of GM paying for replacement are very small. Aftermarket should correct the shudder issue though in your opinion?
Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
The main reason I ask is because of the shudder issue and I am tuned so I think the odds of GM paying for replacement are very small. Aftermarket should correct the shudder issue though in your opinion?
Have the slip tables 0'd out. Shudder issue is due to small % of slip under a low rpm light throttle environment

Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Have the slip tables 0'd out. Shudder issue is due to small % of slip under a low rpm light throttle environment
If I only have shudder very rarely do you think it has done any major damage to the TC?
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
RxSummit16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Should that only be for the 8th gear? I have the overkill tune and want to be as specific as possible when I email him since it takes awhile to hear back from him..when I first installed the tune the shudder went away for about 2 months but now it's back worse than before.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Dustya

Quote:
Should that only be for the 8th gear? I have the overkill tune and want to be as specific as possible when I email him since it takes awhile to hear back from him..when I first installed the tune the shudder went away for about 2 months but now it's back worse than before.

Thanks for all the info!
Yes shudder happens in 7th and 8th gear a flush and fill will also alleviate the issue but once the fluid breaks down again it will start to shudder. If it is happening in any other gear or under heavy throttle then there are other issues.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
from what's been posted, there's a new torque converter out on the 18's. a oem GM one. the way the clutches are installed/bonded apparently is the difference.

there's also a post in the Ask Al section that's pages long. Page 13 has some really decent logic to be applied in my view. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...527133&page=13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I have to agree with this logic. It's certainly more in line with traditional hotrodding attitudes.

Going in, you shouldn't expect to have to do anything like that, but when it comes down to the choice between spending $2k on a mod that fixes the problem and throwing away a big chunk of a $40k outlay just to save that $2k - on a car that you may otherwise really like - the $2k mod becomes the more attractive option even from the $ point of view.

Norm

I talked to Circle D earlier this year. if one can get a stock torque converter, they can basically use that to build a quality, basic one. better clutches and clutch materials, billet back, and reuse most of the internals.

as with anything performance, if you get the main piece to almost any company, be it a converter, cam, crankshaft, etc... (usually a spare so you can continue to use the car) most major companies can build you anything you need by altering or upgrading parts to be stronger, or wear better.

its rarely done though among the v6 crowd, because when most factor in the cost for the upgrade (avg torque converter is 800-900$) and the install labor rate is around 500-800$ your in something for roughly 1500-2000$

the v8 crowd will drop that at a sneeze on rear tires and weld wheels, or msd intake with ported TB.... the v6 crowd, a bit more frugal when it comes to spending.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
RxSummit16

Thanks for the info. My problem is that I have reservations in the mountains this weekend to go do Tail of the Dragon and the issue just resurfaced this past Friday. Not a lot of time to get in someplace for a reinstall. I wouldnt mind going with the new OEM if its guaranteed to fix the problem, but Im not sure how confident I feel going to the mountains now. I'm going to go back to stock tune today and see what happens and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
from what's been posted, there's a new torque converter out on the 18's. a oem GM one. the way the clutches are installed/bonded apparently is the difference.

there's also a post in the Ask Al section that's pages long. Page 13 has some really decent logic to be applied in my view. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...527133&page=13

I talked to Circle D earlier this year. if one can get a stock torque converter, they can basically use that to build a quality, basic one. better clutches and clutch materials, billet back, and reuse most of the internals.

as with anything performance, if you get the main piece to almost any company, be it a converter, cam, crankshaft, etc... (usually a spare so you can continue to use the car) most major companies can build you anything you need by altering or upgrading parts to be stronger, or wear better.

its rarely done though among the v6 crowd, because when most factor in the cost for the upgrade (avg torque converter is 800-900$) and the install labor rate is around 500-800$ your in something for roughly 1500-2000$

the v8 crowd will drop that at a sneeze on rear tires and weld wheels, or msd intake with ported TB.... the v6 crowd, a bit more frugal when it comes to spending.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Not sure of this may offer you any comfort or not, but i had the issue, early on. I'm talking like 34000 miles on the car. I had the triple flush thing done locally. And it was good for about two three months.

Now the shutter thing kind of occurs when it switches from V6 to V4 every once in awhile. But most times when it happens you just know to step on the gas just a little bit harder to put it back in V6 mode.

With that being said today I'm just about to hit 71000 miles. Mind you in that past 35,000 plus miles I've done a couple autocrossevents, I've been to the track at the end of last year about 3 or 4 times. I've done a road trip all the way down to North Carolina and Davidson / Charlotte earlier this year at the end of June. 8 hours down and 8 hours back. Not to mention its also my daily driver which is how a lot of the miles get racked up yearly.

Also do road trips for wrestling as you can see in my signature or Avatar.

Mind you I do take care of the car meticulously. When it's time to change fluids it's time to change fluids. I usually get an oil analysis done with every all change as well as transmission fluid change and differential oil changes.

As long as you're not going to be in the situation where you're going to be constantly switching from V6 to V4 I don't think you should have much of an issue unless you have a shutter that is far different than just the 7th and 8th gear change shutter. If you're doing tale of the dragon you should be perfectly fine because most of your gears should be roughly about 6 and below. I drove through part of it one year but mostly I stay up a little bit north of you in the Shenandoah Blue Ridge area as far as scenic routes that I drive through.

In the end it's your call though. just wouldn't want you to miss out on something fun specially this time of year

In the future I'll be looking to do a more bulletproof method of torque converter myself. Be at Tracy Lewis Or Circle D or whatever I can get ahold of.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My problem is that I have reservations in the mountains this weekend to go do Tail of the Dragon and the issue just resurfaced this past Friday. Not a lot of time to get in someplace for a reinstall. I wouldnt mind going with the new OEM if its guaranteed to fix the problem, but Im not sure how confident I feel going to the mountains now. I'm going to go back to stock tune today and see what happens and hope for the best.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
RxSummit16

That does make me feel somewhat better. Currently I have the overkill tune which actually disabled AFM and the shudder went away for about 2 months. Now its back but under the exact same load conditions as when AFM was on. Im going to get a flush done tmrw and go back to stock tune since the shudder was only in v4 to v6 transition and see how that goes. Also do you think just a normal flush will do anything or do I need to request the triple flush? Ill probably be paying since I've been tuned and not sure how much more the triple would cost than just the single...
Old 04-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
Kapem23

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6L
Quote:
Does any one make an aftermarket converter for the V6? All I can find are for the V8s.
I realize it’s a little late maybe but I was looking for the same thing and came across this high stall converter for the 8L90 transmission which is the transmission for the 2016+ LGX.

Link included, but they have a couple different options.
Kapem23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #13
Kapem23

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6L
http://https://www.texas-speed.com/p...400-stall.aspx
Kapem23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 PM   #14
ayeONE

Drives: RS 2LT
About 3 years ago I had a custom, slightly high stall, FTI torque converter installed, transmission shutter has not come back. I don't know if things have changed, but back then I called circle d first, and they didn't make custom converters for RS/V6. My understanding is FTI is up there with circle d and imo, its the only converter a V6 guy would get for his camaro. I want to say the guy I spoke with at FTI was Shawn, very knowledgeable and will ask u what your looking for/ your expectations. For me I wanted performance gains, but as a daily driver, under normal driving conditions, didn't want to notice any difference. Ultimately I told him solving this torque converter issue was priority. They delivered on exactly what I wanted. I only wanted a single disc billet converter, the stall range is 2600-2800, nice performance gains, love how the car feels/ works after the converter locks up, even the build up before it locks up seems to happen a lot faster, fun car to drive. Make sure u get a full tune that also disables afm, if u get a high stall converter. Imo its mandatory for these cars, a billet torque converter plus full tune is the permanent fix for these problems and in the form of a performance upgrade, is a no brainer. I know it's kind of frustrating to not have the options V8 guys have, so I hope this helps.
ayeONE is offline   Reply With Quote