Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Best time to put on the winter tires?

Getting down to the 30's here in northern IL now. No snow yet, but wondering if I should just go ahead and switch to my snow tires now rather than running the summer tires on the cold pavement? I do notice a big difference in cold rain now vs when I was on warm wet road a few months ago with the stock tires, so thinking about swapping them this weekend.

Just wondering when others make the change as this is my first year with all true winter tires. Used to run with Continental All Seasons year round on my RX8 without issues.
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Getting down to the 30's here in northern IL now. No snow yet, but wondering if I should just go ahead and switch to my snow tires now rather than running the summer tires on the cold pavement? I do notice a big difference in cold rain now vs when I was on warm wet road a few months ago with the stock tires, so thinking about swapping them this weekend.

Just wondering when others make the change as this is my first year with all true winter tires. Used to run with Continental All Seasons year round on my RX8 without issues.
Depends on how "summer" your summer tire are. The more high-performance your tires, the more the rubber is suited for the warmer temps and the tires react like hard plastic in the cold and may even crack. In others, it's not the "drive below 40 degrees and instant death!" that some people make it out to be. Just depends on the tires. The instant you get frost on the ground (known as black-ice) or freezing rain, you are done though. You don't know if the next two months is going to go into some crazy warm spell, but it could also go the other way. In most places in the US, this is probably a pretty good time to switch over, most places being the northern half of the contiguous states, any place above about 5K elevation in the lower half. Excluding the mountains in these places, Southwest (CA desert, lower NV, AZ, NM, TX) is fine to run summers all the time. Dead middle of the country (OK, KS, etc.) is probably the hardest to figure out, cold ice storms can paralyze the cities in freezing rain and snow for a few days, but then clear out and temps go back up. You can probably get away with summers here, but depending on what day these hit you might have to leave the car at home one or two days. West side coastal is pretty clear, except when you go much further North. East side coastal is about the same, after the mid lats there is some pretty cold and icy winter weather.

The ability of the cold-weather rubber to grip the road is far better, and most people drive to work in the morning right, not at 3pm when everything is warm? Seems like this would be a good time...
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 11-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Before it snows. I had mine on for a week and we just got a few inches overnight. Weather is unpredictable, put them on sooner than later.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Did some outside reading too and likely before Thanksgiving is when I'll switch them. Seems like when weather stays below 40F is recommended by the tire manufacturers.

Thanks for your input!
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote