Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
5th bow bent need help

while trying to replace bent 5th bow found dlr installed excessive loctite on brackets when top canvas replaced. Need to remove top assembly to get access to drill out the 4 torks bolts on end of bracket.
What needs to be disconnected to get top assembly off where I can heat and drill out fasteners.
Any dvd manual recommended with convertible top info?

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Thrperes bound to be a YouTube video.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
huskerborn

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
to remove the top assembly you have to remove pretty much all of the back seat panels and the seats of course. In my 2011 camaro the top seat has metal clicks, one on each side, that you have to push down on to get it to pull out. It really isn't HARD, but time consuming. I did it, taking my time, in one afternoon.

Then you have to remove the 3rd brake light panels that surround the back of the top . You have nuts that have to be unscrewed (10 mm I believe) all around that (these are holding the water bag in place). Once the nuts are remove the panels will remove. The 3rd brake light itself.. you just have to pry it up, it has clips holding it down. To be able to see these bolts you have to lift the top basically half way up

each side panel, the ones with the speakers in them are one large panel, start down by the door and work your way up. They come off pretty easily, just take your time... no special tools needed.

This is pretty quick and a crude explanation, but I will check back if you have questions.

In the end, there are only 3 bolts on each side holding the top assembly in place.

When you get to the point of actually removing the top assembly, you will need help and you have to pay attention to the back. There are stops in the back that makes it more of a challenge lifting the top out.
huskerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
sbubbaklein

I have seats and interior out. Ready to loosen bolts for top. I see 2 bolts on each side viewed from top. how are the lift cylinders attached?

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
Old 09-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
huskerborn

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
I have seats and interior out. Ready to loosen bolts for top. I see 2 bolts on each side viewed from top. how are the lift cylinders attached?

Not sure how you are planning to take this out, but I took the whole thing out, which means you take out the 3 bolts on each side, down by the speakers.

I didn't touch anything on the top part of the frame, matter of fact I didn't touch the frame at all to get it out, other than to lift it out.

You might be planning something different, though.
huskerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
sbubbaklein

I subscribed to ACDELCO service information for $15 and got 3 days. Copied all of the folding top procedures. They show all nuts and bolts that you remove as well as adjustments. Only problem was my big hands. Installed eye bolts in garage door header and used ratchet tie straps to lift top assembly off and on. Able to replace 5th bow once it was out on work table.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

pic of folding top lift
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
kpeters59

Drives: Black 2012 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
I subscribed to ACDELCO service information for $15 and got 3 days. Copied all of the folding top procedures. They show all nuts and bolts that you remove as well as adjustments. Only problem was my big hands. Installed eye bolts in garage door header and used ratchet tie straps to lift top assembly off and on. Able to replace 5th bow once it was out on work table.
So, do you mind sharing your documentation?

I picked up my replacement 5th Bow this week and will be figuring this out myself, soon...

Thanks,

-Kyle
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
sbubbaklein

I did screen prints of the manual. You might want to order one of the cds on ebay. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have, just private message me. Again the AC delco info is excelent.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
kpeters59

OK...

The ratchet strap arrangement you have going there is pretty similar to what I was considering doing.

But, I came across an Interior Shop that thinks they can do it for me for a reasonable sounding price.

-KP

Last edited by kpeters59; 01-04-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
sbubbaklein

if reasonable have them do it, otherwise you will spend $50 to $100 on sockets, torks, screw drivers and more.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #12
kpeters59

Well, I have no shortage of all that already. I just need the outcome to be high quality. Which I can do, if I have the time.

-KP
Old 12-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #13
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
There are two or three full write-ups on removing the top.