Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Smile Damaged lifter bore - sleeve or hone...

The pic below shows about 1/3 inch off the bottom of the bore. I can bronze sleeve it for $275 at a machine shop which is not bad, but I am concerned if it will come loose? I slightly honed it and the lifter moves smoothly up and down, but I am running a .613 lift on btr dual valve springs and there is a lot of pressure holding that lifter down. Anybody ever run a damaged lifter bore this size or had any of them sleeved?
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
sleeve will not come lose when installed properly...and that lifter bore needs to be sleeved...

peace
Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
How did that happen?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Been seeing this a lot lately and I've also experienced this myself although the damage was less severe than yours. Personally I would go bronze sleeve and save for a block after, just in case.

Last edited by LsxDoctor; 05-31-2018 at 04:57 PM.
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
SeaCompiler

Yes, I am going to bronze sleeve it. I plan on taking it to a machine shop Monday. I need to take the rotating assembly out and it will be ready.

I think that the lifter roller/bearing wore down (80k miles), coupled with some possible cam wear and it slipped out of the lifter tray and turned and then the cam snapped it. I have 162K miles on the car. The first time I had lifter failure (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396773) was around 82k miles, so this must be the max it can handle with my cam lift (.613) and dual valve springs lol!

I keep going back and forth to put a forged stroker in it or not since I am in about as far as you can go.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Why not hone/bore to run a .903 lifter?
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
That's what I did when in a similar situation. It has multiple benefits, a larger diameter lifter is more stable in the bore and any discrepancies in lifter to cam contact is corrected as when opening up the bores the machine fixtures off of the cam bearing journals.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
I bought a small brake bone and the lifter moves freely hp and down now. I barely ran it to just take out any imperfections, but i did t like the hone because it got caught repeatedly in the oil holes and it is not shiny like the others. I am also concerned about the amount of block missing around the bottom to be able to sustain the force being pushed on it from the cam. I fear more could bust off and then i am back where i am now, but worse. I am not sure i can do a good eniugh job and its only $275 to get a professional to sleeve it.

Tags
damaged lifter, lifter bore