Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Very unique question regarding rebuilt title car... that is my car, but isn't my car

Ok. So unique question incoming and I suppose looking for opinions. Going to try and include all the information I can in this. So it may get long.

February 26 my camaro was totaled via a t bone because of driver on a cell phone.

I buy the car back from insurance and sell it to a salvage yard who is owned by a buddy in hopes of making a tiny bit of money back since I had done so much work to the car. I made my measly amount of money, broke even on the loan, and expected to never see the car or anything of it again.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Buddy texts me pictures of a camaro. It's a blue camaro. My camaro was white. But it's my camaro. He purchased a theft recovery body from California. Entire car was stripped. He took my entire drive train, rear cradle, all my interior, and had it put into the roller body. Car starts right up and looks amazing. He's listed all the parts he needed to buy new and replace such as radiator, condenser, alternator, power steering pully, to name a few.

The car is going to have a rebuilt title. Still needs to be inspected. The car needs a retune because chevy flashed everything back to stock he says when they worked on whatever they needed to do with the air bag stuff and some other stuff.

I haven't driven the car yet because it hasn't had a tune. I'm working closely with him every step of the way and we are probably going to take the car back to the same place together to have it retuned and this will be my first opportunity to drive it.

This is essentially every single piece of my car just inside a new body. All my mods. All the money I put into this car. Engine is sitting at 33k miles and the body had 34k miles. And I want to buy my car back. He's shown me all his receipts and is asking for 18k for the car from me. He stands to make 1500 on the car which I feel is fair after all the time and work he's put into this car.

The appeal to this is its my car. I know who did all the mods. How it was driven. Cared for. The frequent oil changes. I know the entire history. Otherwise I would never consider a rebuilt car.

Opinions on this whole situation? I'm not the only one interested in my car. And he's had offers significantly more than what he's offering it to me for. He's sympathetic of the situation and has been in this position himself before.
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
I worked at a collision shop when I was going to school. Learned a lot in my 4 years. The short answer here is let things die a natural death. It's never the same second time around, no matter how much your heart is in it.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
I worked at a collision shop when I was going to school. Learned a lot in my 4 years. The short answer here is let things die a natural death. It's never the same second time around, no matter how much your heart is in it.
I understand visually is wont be perfect. And it's not. Trying to upload pictures but can't with my phone for some reason right now. I'm more concerned about mechanically. I plan to wrap the car anyways.
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Don't ever try to resell a car with a REBUILT or SALVAGE title. not a fun experience.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
An 11 SS with a rebuilt title for 18k? No thanks. I dont care about the mileage or mods.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
It's cool that it's your car and I don't how much you put into it in terms of mods but at $18k, you could probably go out and buy something with a clean title for around that price. If you wanted to resell it later with a salvage title you will probably take a hit.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I guess it really depends on the what those mods are, and how everything was put back together. Myself, at $18K I would be very skeptical. I believe that a rebuilt/salvage title cuts the value to about half of fair market value. Most buyers aren't really going to be concerned about mods, so I would skeptical about his "other offers". No bank is going to finance it, that is for certain.

Take a very careful look at it, drive it, all of that. Then maybe offer him $12K. When he gets done laughing, cussing and crying, give him your number and tell him to call you when he gets tired of looking at it in his driveway.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
I agree w My Old88.......trying to sell when the time comes is tough
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
Spocktwin

Drives: 2015 LT RS Camaro, 1978 Trans Am
my two cents. I was raised in a body shop that my younger brother still runs today (does private restorations) Walk away, they are never right again and with the rebuilt (salvage) title it will not sell well.
Spocktwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
rebuilt , salvage title are usually valued at 50% if you ever want to sell it or get a loan from the bank

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote