Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
Fab Elevin

Drives: 2SS 1LE
is it possible to install a PDR ?

canadian 2020 2ss camaro 1LE - reverside blue.
-
ofc i bought this for the sake of it's performance.. looks.. etc.

but i didn't realize that the (PDR) is an option in the 1LE's !!!
-
my car doesn't have that, i made sure i don't have a second SD card location,
and i have front collision alert.. from what i read when building a 1LE...
-
when choosing the PDR option u delete the front collision alert.
and i also don't have the PDR icon on my screen.
-
so unfortunately i'm sure i lack this fun and great option.
but is there a way to install it ? if yes ? how..
specially hardware wise.. is my front collision alert is basically a camera which allows me to buy the PDR option ?
-
EXCUSE my english guys.. i'm from SAUDI and i imported this car myself with the help of a friend from canada.
-
hope u guys having a good day.
Fab Elevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I don't believe all the facotry stuff can be retrofit, or it's cost exorbitant, you might benefit more from a gopro type setup.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
the consensus is that it could theoretically be done but its far to expensive to add to a non-PDR car.

You would have to purchase, not only the camera and associated hardware but also a new HMI module and have it programmed to your VIN. If I remember correctly someone estimated the cost well over 2k just in parts.

There are other third party systems that offer a better camera, (OEM is only 720p) and more recorded parameters.

I chose to just install a Viofo Dash camera and have Gen5DIY make me a power source that connects into the OnStar power source in the rearview mirror. That way I didn't have to run 10-feet of wire through the a-pillars and tap into a power source in the fuse box.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...7#post10889267
Old 04-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Garmin Catalyst offers an advanced mode with live audio coaching and 3 key takeaways for improvement after each session without the PDR's requirement of putting the SD card into a separate laptop for analysis and seeing lap times between sessions. Exported videos don't have overlays currently but overlays are there for playback on the built-in screen and that export with overlay feature may come in the future. I would recommend looking into it. I haven't used one myself.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582558
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Probably cheaper to trade into a car equipped with PDR than to try and reverse engineer it into your car.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The short answer is yes. Pull up a chair, probably a solid hour of reading and see if it’s for you.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527969

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:57 AM   #7
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
[Garmin Catalyst] Exported videos don't have overlays currently but overlays are there for playback on the built-in screen and that export with overlay feature may come in the future.
Overlays were just added. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/OQTlYHZz-FI

It is still missing throttle/brake position and gear number, but it is probably the easiest way to get the type of data/features PDR gives you and it actually has several advantages over PDR.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
I get almost everything I'd want out of PDR via my AIM Solo (1) DL. I get throttle, brake pressure, steering angle, rpm, speed.

The only interesting thing I might get out of PDR is commanded/actual slip angle and TC/ABS engagement, but it's not like I understand my data logs to a great enough extent to be able to use it.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
$1000 for that Garmin? Yikes. I figured it would cheaper than the factory option.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Just checked a window sticker and PDR is a $1300 option on 2021 SS 1LEs. With the AIM Solo I believe you need to take some manual steps to sync/overlay video requiring a separate computer with you at the track if you want to see overlaid video between sessions vs. Garmin and PDR it is automatic. That is the main reason why it is so expensive IMO plus Garmin has live audio coaching you can enable which is not available from PDR or AIM as far as I know.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Also don't forget, the PDR camera is only 720p resolution. Its a decent camera but relatively trash for the times we are living in. The Garmin has 1080p resolution and you can place it anywhere you want. If you have a dash cam, you can use the Garmin Cam in any position you could possibly want. Pretty sure you can overlay the Garmin stuff over a dash cam video as well if you wanted.