Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #15
Mike Aruba

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post

Thank you sir!

Ordering two bottles tonight. Going to do this when I do my next oil change in a few weeks.
Mike Aruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
If I cant get the Tremec I wouldnt hesitate to use RP or Redline. I switched to Redline gear oil in the trans of my 06 HD and it made a huge difference in shifting smoothness and noise.
One thing Ive been reading though is that they are using ATF in the M6. Even the new tremec is that. I think I read that they have such tight tolerances that the thinner ATF is what they now recomend. When I researched the Redline or RP products they were I believe a multi vis gear oil. That does put it in a different light.
Im wondering if the guys who described a smother shifting m6 used the ATF based products or multi wt gear oil?
I have read repeatedly that the rear diff change is a must.
What are you guys using?
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I have used Royal Purple, Mobil 1 ATF (Tremec recommended), Redline D4 and Royal Purple (again). I live in a sometimes cold climate and the OEM is next to impossible to shift to second and it will often pop out of gear when temps are below 40F. I started with RP and ran it (13K miles) -> M1 (200 miles) -> D4 -> (2000 miles) and back to RP again, they are all better than what GM put in there but the RP is the best overall in my car, I felt too much gear in 1>2 and 2>1st with the others. That said the RP seemed to shear out of grade around 13K and started getting slightly notchy so that prompted the change. The Mobil 1 was glass in every gear but 1>2 (grind) the Redline was better than the M1 but not as good as the RP. I have no problem changing the fluid every 12K as I would probably anyway. YMMV
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #18
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
That's for the 10-speed. OP has a 6MT.
You're right about the fluid level (for auto), but it also says the trans fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track use for the manual trans.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
MR's 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I have used Royal Purple, Mobil 1 ATF (Tremec recommended), Redline D4 and Royal Purple (again). I live in a sometimes cold climate and the OEM is next to impossible to shift to second and it will often pop out of gear when temps are below 40F. I started with RP and ran it (13K miles) -> M1 (200 miles) -> D4 -> (2000 miles) and back to RP again, they are all better than what GM put in there but the RP is the best overall in my car, I felt too much gear in 1>2 and 2>1st with the others. That said the RP seemed to shear out of grade around 13K and started getting slightly notchy so that prompted the change. The Mobil 1 was glass in every gear but 1>2 (grind) the Redline was better than the M1 but not as good as the RP. I have no problem changing the fluid every 12K as I would probably anyway. YMMV
Lots of good info. Even with 900 miles I can see the 1-2 shift is not as smooth as the rest of the shifts. I thought it was partly due to the 1-4 program getting in the way as I do notice the more aggressively I rev the engine and shift the smoother it is.
Interesting.
I also have no issue swapping fluids more often. Its part of the ownership experience of vehicles that are engaging to own and drive. Trucks... cars... motorcyles... boats... all with greater than average performance potential require above average attention.
Even the discussion is recreation for me...
What are we talking for the tranny? 2 qts and 15 minutes?
What is the RP? is it ATF or multy gear oil?
Old 04-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #20
Warrior102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Lots of good info. Even with 900 miles I can see the 1-2 shift is not as smooth as the rest of the shifts. I thought it was partly due to the 1-4 program getting in the way as I do notice the more aggressively I rev the engine and shift the smoother it is.
Interesting.
I also have no issue swapping fluids more often. Its part of the ownership experience of vehicles that are engaging to own and drive. Trucks... cars... motorcyles... boats... all with greater than average performance potential require above average attention.
Even the discussion is recreation for me...
What are we talking for the tranny? 2 qts and 15 minutes?
What is the RP? is it ATF or multy gear oil?
Around 3.5 quarts, Amazon has a case of six for $99 $16.50 or $19.50 QT. From the Purple web site:
Royal Purple® Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or other light-viscosity oil. It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcycle gear boxes that specify light-viscosity lubricants. Synchromax is formulated with Royal Purple’s synthetic, proprietary Synerlecadditive technology, offering improved shift quality over a wide temperature range and reduced gear noise. Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #21
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I have the exact thing with my car. The gears act like they have no lubrication at all . I plan to swap the fluid out in the near future. I think the main reason I haven’t yet is because I can’t decide which one to go with lol.
I feel the oem fluid is mediocre, especially from what I’ve heard, so I have high hopes for improvement.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #22
MR's 2SS

Funny the different results people seem to have with the same products.
Correct me if Im wrong... There is zero difference in the M6 between 1LE or 2SS??
I know theres somedifferences between the diffs in the coups Vs the convertible. Specifically the oil cooler. I know theres the EL posi.. whatever its called. But Ive not read any difference on the trannys.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I switched to Amsoil Signature Multi ATF which works okay IMO. It can feel a little crunchy occasionally but it's not too bad overall. It could be better but it looks to me that the hard cold shifting is just something you have to deal with on a TR-6060. At least it feels more solid than crowd killer's MT82.

As others said, change the engine oil and diff oil for sure after break-in, preferably sooner. The diff fluid gets very dirty very quickly during the break-in on these LSD/eLSD units. Trans fluid is a bit more flexible. For diff fluid, people recommend the OEM stuff but I am using Motul Gear 300 LS without trouble.

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong... There is zero difference in the M6 between 1LE or 2SS??
I know theres somedifferences between the diffs in the coups Vs the convertible. Specifically the oil cooler. I know theres the EL posi.. whatever its called. But Ive not read any difference on the trannys.
I think you are right. No difference between trans as far as I know.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #24
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
You're right about the fluid level (for auto), but it also says the trans fluid should be changed after every 15 hours of track use for the manual trans.

Wonder if that was a year-to-year change...

My 2017 Track Prep Supplement says...

Automatic Transmission Fluid –
Camaro ZL1 only
(DEXRON® ULV Automatic
Transmission Fluid)
Have the transmission fluid set to the
track-specific oil level and change after
track usage.
Every 15 hours

No mention of the M6.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:54 AM   #25
Warrior102

Quote:
The 1LE has a short throw shifter from the factory otherwise they are the same.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #26
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
So the consensus is the we would give RP a shot first? I should order the fluid today and just be done with it LOL. I guess worst case, I can drain it and put something else in.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #27
Mitchbehaven

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Hey guys, I just wanted to get some clarification on this subject because I can't seem to find something on this elsewhere.
But is changing the fluid from the factory fluid to a new one with out a full flush ok? Because if I just drain the trans itself, there would still be factory fluid in the lines. and I also have a 1le so there's some in the cooling lines as well. So basically I'm asking if it's ok the mix the factory fluid with the driven at3 fluid that I've chosen to go with?
Mitchbehaven is offline   Reply With Quote