Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Waltonius

Drives: Dark Grey 2010 Camaro SS
I think I'm screwed. Please help.

Was driving today and out of nowhere the engine started making a ticking noise and sounded like it barely wanted to run. I had been having a slight misfire problem but it was only when the car was under load.

https://youtu.be/Xd1VLQTKUGw

Waltonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Any codes?
Did it go into limp mode?

Is this the L99 or LS3? Miles?
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Battery?
Sucks the blood right out of the arteries.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
Waltonius

Drives: Dark Grey 2010 Camaro SS
Haven't got to check the codes yet, I'm getting it towed today. It's the LS3 and I've got 111000 on it. Doubt it's the battery since it still turns on and off fine. Talked to one friend who said it might be the valve spring but I wanted to get a couple more opinions on it
Waltonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
First off.... don't run it anymore.

Your friend is probably right. Pull the valve cover and take a look.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
lifter failure. hopefully it hasnt wiped a cam lobe, but it doesnt sound good....
Old 03-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I don't think you are too screwed (depends on what you see after the heads are off), but those heads are definitely coming off. This could be a collapsed lifter and you hear the push rods slapping up and down, but you will be looking at a new cam almost guaranteed.

Step 1:
Take the valve covers off, disconnect the ignition coils. Turn it over with the switch or by hand with a breaker bar on the balancer bolt and see which one is not moving up and down - this is your offender. Not sure if you will be doing this yourself, but this is not an invasive test. Also, take a very close look at the trunnion bearings and if they look worn down, show shavings, needle bearings up top, little pieces, etc. Those heads will have to come off to access and replace whatever failed - that is 100%.

Suspect for background of misfire:
I had this same misfire issue (and engine failure like yours), and I thought I had a bad coil or wires, so I replaced them but experienced the same result. Turns out, not a few weeks later, I broke a lifter and heard pieces of metal bouncing around inside my engine and then immediate power loss and limped home. I believe this is due to my own bad decision to run just my turbo screen and the subsequent and extended period of months sucking in dirt acted like sandpaper on my trunnion bearings in the head. I would have misfires under load like you mentioned and I think it is because my trunnions were so badly worn down, the valves were not opening properly which lead to the misfiring and poor performance. When I took my heads off and looked at the trunnions, they were demolished and fell to pieces and I had a small chunk of block taken out where the lifter twisted and broke off. I was able to get a bronze sleeve put into the bore and save the block. Recently, someone came into my brother n law's performance shop and was having the same issue you were having and he also complained about misfiring under load before failure - just like you. It took a small chunk of his block too and had worn trunnions. I attached a couple of pics of mine so you can see how bad mine was (first pic is the repair and second is before repair). I have 1500 miles on my motor now and no issues with the bronze sleeve so far. If it turns out you have damage less than mine, then a sleeve should work.

Best case scenario for you:
No chunk of the block taken out and no lifter pieces or trunnion needle bearings. You had a collapsed lifter. You will need a new cam, lifters, trunnions. Might as well do timing chain, better dampener, get 3 bolt cam gear at the least. (I would consider melling oil pump upgrade and hardened pushrods). If you find a small chunk of lifter missing, it is a gamble to leave it with risk of getting it sucked up through the screen of the pickup tube destroying the rest of your motor later. Tough call there.

Worst case scenario possibilities:
Your trunnion bearings are bad and dropped needle bearings and other possible lifter debris into the motor. If so, that motor is coming out my friend. Now you got a whole lotta other decision making to do. If you let the dealership work on it, a lot of times they will NOT remove the engine to take the pieces out, so get in writing what they will be doing and if pieces found, they will remove the engine to clean it.

Recommendation:
Depends on your engine work comfort level

Option 1 - break it down yourself, manage the tear down and re-install, but let professionals (a trusted performance shop) handle the repairs and re-assembly of the motor. This is what I did. You specify the type of parts to use in re-assembly ie cam, bearings, springs, rods, pump etc. A short block assembly option is good which would include the whole bottom end and cam if this is in fact needed. You would have to install the heads, secure gaskets and torque it down using new ARP bolts. You remove the motor, keep track and label all parts and bolts. Re-install motor and hook everything back up.

Option 2 - break it down yourself and do the long block option which includes the heads and covers, water pump etc - pretty much everything you need. You remove and re-install and specify what you want done.

Option 3 - let someone do it turn key for you (easiest, but most exensive) and may not have the best care - but depends on where you take it.

Hoping for the best for ya
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Pull the covers before you drive anymore.