Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - New England

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Performance Tuning

I have been leaning towards (Ted) Jennetty Racing, but recently heard of another shop (Don) Slowhawk Performance. One is closer than the other, but more importantly is the knowledge and quality of work. Any thoughts or experience(s) to share? I see plenty of positive on Teds shop on our forum, and am quite confident in his shop at this point. What about this other, Slowhawk?
Thanks in advance -Scott
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Both Ted and Don are highly regarded by most of the V8 crowd and from what I've seen and heard do good work aside from a few horror stories out of Ted's shop i know of locally. If i were to choose and had a V8 I'd go with Don I've seen his work and he does a good job he just has the personality of a donkey and won't give you the time of day if it's not a V8.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 03-09-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
You will get horror stories from ANY performance shop.... No matter how good/bad they are.

You have narrowed it down to two of the best. Ted has made himself big with the introduction of the 5th gen. Slowhawk has been known as one of the best for decades, in the LS/LT community.

You can't go wrong with either. If anyone tells you different, I would question the vidality of their opinion.

Personally, if it isn't an all out 1000+ rwhp build, I would go with whoever is closer. That way if adjustments need to be made later down the road, it will be easier.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
driven2exceSS

Thanks guys! Just what I needed to hear... My initial search findings on Don's shop were dated by a couple years or so, which had me a little concerned about his experience with the 6th gen. By the sounds it is a non issue. Hope others continue to share similar views here on the thread... I'm even more motivated now to move forward with the process asap, despite all the current distractions and dealings/aftermath of this Nor'easter
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Both Ted and Don are highly regarded by most of the V8 crowd and from what I've seen and heard do good work aside from a few horror stories out of Ted's shop i know of locally. If i were to choose and had a V8 I'd go with Don I've seen his work and he does a good job he just has the personality of a donkey and won't give you the time of day if it's not a V8.
Nice. I always explain we have not done V6 cars. Haven't seen the need to test them with the work we do. Just like we do not work on ford/dodge ect.
I have told a few people we would be willing to look at the 4cyl/turbo cars. But they do not like when I say I need it for a week to tune,so we take our time to figure it out. That is the same thing we do with each new model. Luckily we have some good repeat customers that trust us with there new toy's to test on.

Last edited by Slowhawk; 03-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Slowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
You will get horror stories from ANY performance shop.... No matter how good/bad they are.

You have narrowed it down to two of the best. Ted has made himself big with the introduction of the 5th gen. Slowhawk has been known as one of the best for decades, in the LS/LT community.

You can't go wrong with either. If anyone tells you different, I would question the vidality of their opinion.

Personally, if it isn't an all out 1000+ rwhp build, I would go with whoever is closer. That way if adjustments need to be made later down the road, it will be easier.
We do not live by the internet anymore. Word of mouth is our strong point and we always have a constant flow of work.
For LT experience we have been building corvette's since they came out. our first big build was early 2014 on a corvette. 416,YSI ect.
And yes, 1000+hp cars are no problem, dialing in one today.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Nice. I always explain we have not done V6 cars. Haven't seen the need to test them with the work we do. Just like we do not work on ford/dodge ect.
I have told a few people we would be willing to look at the 4cyl/turbo cars. But they do not like when I say I need it for a week to tune,so we take our time to figure it out. That is the same thing we do with each new model. Luckily we have some good repeat customers that trust us with there new toy's to test on.
No disrespect to Kev (Evil-Bee-NH) and many others that also have wishes/needs/desires for their particular model of the Camaro, but I kinda like the idea of a shop doing more specialty specific work for a particular make/model (I think?). Sticking with a certain manufacturer brand of a vehicle and a narrower spectrum of aftermarket parts will keep them far less likely to be drawn to a "Jack of all trades, master of none". IDK I think that makes sense? lol Either way I think it was a light hearted jab in the end about basically turning your nose up and not doing anything but lsx/ltx work.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
No disrespect meant i admire the work you do i wouldn't have said go to you otherwise, just your very blunt and it comes off super asshole sometimes it did with me back when i had my V6 and i can take blunt pretty well. Was just warning so people can look past it.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 03-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
No disrespect to Kev (Evil-Bee-NH) and many others that also have wishes/needs/desires for their particular model of the Camaro, but I kinda like the idea of a shop doing more specialty specific work for a particular make/model (I think?). Sticking with a certain manufacturer brand of a vehicle and a narrower spectrum of aftermarket parts will keep them far less likely to be drawn to a "Jack of all trades, master of none". IDK I think that makes sense? lol Either way I think it was a light hearted jab in the end about basically turning your nose up and not doing anything but lsx/ltx work.
No offense taken wasn't meant to offend don either i like his work just he has a very up front blunt way of things that people need to look past in case he offends them was actually meant to help i see how it could have cone off bad.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
driven2exceSS

Quote:
No offense taken wasn't meant to offend don either i like his work just he has a very up front blunt way of things that people need to look past in case he offends them was actually meant to help i see how it could have cone off bad.
Genuine and honest review for genuine and honest (specific) work
Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I envy your position of being able to select such great shops to do work on your car. Here in Oregon unless you have a import your choices are really slim.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Genuine and honest review for genuine and honest (specific) work
Lawl being honest is a curse for some of us. Wording is easily taken the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
I envy your position of being able to select such great shops to do work on your car. Here in Oregon unless you have a import your choices are really slim.
There's gotta be someone nearby but oregon is kinda a random state for performamce mods I'd assume outside asian/japanese market imports

Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
Slowhawk

Quote:
No disrespect meant i admire the work you do i wouldn't have said go to you otherwise, just your very blunt and it comes off super asshole sometimes it did with me back when i had my V6 and i can take blunt pretty well. Was just warning so people can look past it.
I totally get that. I'm a little too blunt most times.
No excuse but in the past I worked another full time job. So being tired affected my business. I quit my 23yr job a few months ago to just do this business. It's really helped the way I feel and talk to people ever since. Not being up 3 days straight really clears your head.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
driven2exceSS

So that translates to half way retired, I better move quick lol.