Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Low Gloss Spray Paint Camaro Rims

Hi all, I got a quote for a low gloss power coat for 4 rims $600, but I am thinking of spray painting them. Of corse clean, then use 500 grip sand the clear coat to improve the paint sticking.

I would only use spray paint made for rims, first a spray primer first then a few options like VHT SP183-6 PK (ESP183007) Satin Black High Temperature Wheel Paint, also Rust-Oleum Automotive has a semi black paint and after it full day drying then spray a top coat to help protect the paint.

I understand that power coat is a bit tougher than spray paint I guess, has anyone spray painted there rims how did they come out and how long did or has last?

I know with lots of prep work maybe under $75 to do all 4 compared to $600!

I don't mind the work and a very low dust place to paint them, but they need to look good at 3-5 feet away and the power coating would be perfect.

So please post if you have done this and what did you use and steps.

Thank In Advance!

Christopher

Last edited by cengell; 04-12-2019 at 05:20 PM.
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Go ahead and paint them, but eventually they'll look like this. Paint is just not strong enough on the wheel especially if it's a color. Powder coat is the strongest thing you can do.

Last edited by Glen e; 04-12-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
Hi all, I got a quote for a low gloss power coat for 4 rims $600, but I am thinking of spray painting them. Of corse clean, then use 500 grip sand the clear coat to improve the paint sticking.

I would only use spray paint made for rims, firs a spray primer first then a few options like VHT SP183-6 PK (ESP183007) Satin Black High Temperature Wheel Paint, also Rust-Oleum Automotive has a semi black paint and after it full day drying then spray a top coat to help protect the paint.

I understand that power coat is a bit tougher than spray paint I guess, has anyone spray painted there rims how did they come out and how long did or has last?

I know with lots of prep work maybe under $75 to do all 4 compared to $600!

I don't mind the work and a very low dust place to paint them, but they need to look good at 3-5 feet away and the power coating would be perfect.

So please post if you have done this and what did you use and steps.

Thank In Advance!

Christopher
I painted my Jeep Wrangler rims with rustoleum bedliner spray. It was more of a matte, which I wanted, and it resisted chips great.

-Clean rims with a good acid or degreaser
-Sand them very very thoroughly
-rinse with water
-Use rubbing alcohol on the rims to remove any other contaminants
-Paint multiple light coats

Mine lasted for 3-1/2 years with no chips, flaking or anything.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
cengell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Go ahead and paint them, but eventually they'll look like this. Paint is just not strong enough on the wheel especially if it's a color. Powder coat is the strongest thing you can do.

Thanks Glen e, which spray paint did you use? Did you spray a clear coat to help protect your spray paint?

Thank you
Christopher

Last edited by cengell; 04-12-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
cengell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I painted my Jeep Wrangler rims with rustoleum bedliner spray. It was more of a matte, which I wanted, and it resisted chips great.

-Clean rims with a good acid or degreaser
-Sand them very very thoroughly
-rinse with water
-Use rubbing alcohol on the rims to remove any other contaminants
-Paint multiple light coats

Mine lasted for 3-1/2 years with no chips, flaking or anything.
Wow Ryan thank you! I think that was a good choice over what I am looking at, as it sounds like it a tougher or a harder surface. I now am thinking of this and then a semi glossy clear coat to even protect it more and if the tougher is too matte it will add a semi gloss.

I really appreciate your info and help, how many coats and how long did you wait in between coats!

Christopher
Old 04-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
cengell

[QUOTE=cengell;10488939]Wow Ryan thank you! I think that was a good choice over what I am looking at, as it sounds like it a tougher or a harder surface. I now am thinking of this and then a semi glossy clear coat to even protect it more and if the tougher is too matte it will add a semi gloss.

I really appreciate your info and help, how many coats and how long did you wait in between coats!

Christopher

P.S I looks like this has a texture right, that's not what i am looking for poo?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
cengell

Also I found this VHT Engine Paint, as what good is this "All colors have excellent durability and superior heat and chemical resistance. They are specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today’s gasoline blends and degreasers. VHT® 550°F (288°C) Engine Enamel are a unique blend of urethane and ceramic resins, which produce a tough and long-lasting finish for engines, engine accessories or wherever a tough durable heat or chemical resistant finish is needed."

Sounds perfect right?

Appreate and more help and information.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Glen e

Investigate plastidip or the rustoleum above for better results than paint. any type of paint you can buy at the store will chip long term.....rocks, brake dust and debris are death to paint.

This is anthracite plastidip, 3coats I did on my c7 a few years ago....

Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
cengell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Investigate plastidip or the rustoleum above for better results than paint. any type of paint you can buy at the store will chip long term.....rocks, brake dust and debris are death to paint.

This is anthracite plastidip, 3coats I did on my c7 a few years ago....

Thanks glen e, yeah I am aware of plastidip! This looks great, did you put a clear coat?

So for over 2 years no evidence of issues or chips?

Thanks again!
Christpher
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I was going to suggest plastidip, those rims look great, nice even application.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
cengell

That's what I am going with Plastidip matte black with their matte clear coat, so I will post more info and pics, for others.

Thanks all
Christopher
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
[QUOTE=cengell;10488944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
Wow Ryan thank you! I think that was a good choice over what I am looking at, as it sounds like it a tougher or a harder surface. I now am thinking of this and then a semi glossy clear coat to even protect it more and if the tougher is too matte it will add a semi gloss.

Christopher

P.S I looks like this has a texture right, that's not what i am looking for poo?
I think I waited 30 minutes in between coats. Yes it has a sand like texture. You can't tell when you look at it, but if you feel it, it's rough. I was doing off roading in the wrangler so I wanted the toughest stuff possible.

That or the plastidip above.... can't go wrong with either.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Glen e

the above wheels procedure with plastidip

1. wheels washed with iron -X, then an alcohol wipe
2. 3 coats,15 min apart anthricite plastidip
3. wait an hour, then 2 coats clear plastidip glossifier

I think this took 5- 6 cans, 2 cans glossifier....I did not do the barrels, and wheels were done off the car...OFF CAR IS RECOMMENDED.....use the playing card trick to mask the tires....
Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #14
cengell

Thanks all! I will be doing a test soon. The only thing I am thinking is when I use the Plasticdip matte black and with their matte clear coat, how will the rims look when they get dirty how will it look?

Also I am thinking also using the matte on the 2 side mirrors and also spraying the front outside window pillers on my 2017 convertible. Since nobody has done this i am in uncharted area.

Thanks again guys!
Christopher