Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Hal Plant

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS 2LT in mosaic black
Dewhel lift pads placement

2 questions related to my installation of the 4 pack Dewhel lift pads for a 2017 camaro 2LT RS. I have the rear ones on however there is a small gap between the rail and where it meets the inner channel of the pad. This means that the “feet” of the pad are in contact with the car’s bottom. Does this mean when the car is lifted that the frame material adjacent to the rail will burden the weight instead if the rail within the pad as is the purpose of the pads?

Secondly, there are two places near the front wheels where the rail is accessible to install the pad. It sounds like the one to use is not the one closer to the front wheel (which is far easier to install) rather the one to use is the one further from the front wheel which is mealy impossible to install due to the underbody covering which obstructs the ability to place to Allen wrench in the hole to tighten the screw. Where/ how are the front pads supposed to go on?
Hal Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I put mine on the spot closest to the wheel, works fine
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Furthest from the wheel if: 1.you want to place a jack stand in the front. 2. You can lift the whole side of the car at once and place both stands on one side at a time.
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Hal Plant

Thank you both for responding.

The purpose of the pads is to offer the dealership a safe placement to lift the car for oil changes etc by whatever lift they use...am I over thinking this and no need for the pads or still a smart play? If smart play, it sounds like rails closest to the wheels is the best play.

Also, What about that gap between the rail and the inner channel of the pad? It seems like the pad channel is deeper than the rail.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty1707 View Post
Furthest from the wheel if: 1.you want to place a jack stand in the front. 2. You can lift the whole side of the car at once and place both stands on one side at a time.
The jack point diagram from GM also indicates the front weld furthest from the wheel, past the front door is the proper one. Though I have also seen videos where the first point can be used for a jack stand.
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Hal Plant

Hi, yes I referenced the GM diagram before I started however there is no room to get the allen wrench into the hole to turn the screw because of that protector material they add to the undercarriage to prevent rust...the closest one to the front wheel is accessible however as GM indicated not proper for lifting. Overall I'm concern end about the gap between the rail and the pad within the channel. does not seem to be a proper fut based om n design concept.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Plant View Post
Hi, yes I referenced the GM diagram before I started however there is no room to get the allen wrench into the hole to turn the screw because of that protector material they add to the undercarriage to prevent rust...the closest one to the front wheel is accessible however as GM indicated not proper for lifting. Overall I'm concern end about the gap between the rail and the pad within the channel. does not seem to be a proper fut based om n design concept.
I've used the zladdons ones with the allen screws without issues on 2 cars now.
blue Loctite and done.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
Hal Plant

Hi Bobby -do the ZL1 pads fit tight at the rail - the Dewhel brand positions with a gap at where I feel there should be contact on the rail tip in the channel. This is what has me concerned. BTW - very nice car!!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Hi Bobby -do the ZL1 pads fit tight at the rail - the Dewhel brand positions with a gap at where I feel there should be contact on the rail tip in the channel. This is what has me concerned. BTW - very nice car!!!!
I also have the Dewhel and they fit fine. Don't worry about the gap. I have raised the car multiples times without any problem at all. There is even less stress when a dealer uses a lift on all 4 pads at the same time.
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
I have the gap too, what can I say, they work as intended, LOL

FYI: I placed them rearward, so, fronts are almost even with the side mirrors, once installed, using that point both wheels will come off the ground.
The rears are rearward, closer to the rear wheel.

Installing the fronts, 10mm socket and remove a few nuts and blots and you can move the covering, wear gloves, that fabric is itchy, LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 AM   #11
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I placed my ZL1 addons jack pads in the furthest front opening. The "middle" opening is the jack point for lifting the entire side of the car. I use one of these to jack the car up using the middle point, then put the jack stands under the pads on the front and back on that side. Repeat for the other side. The grove in the Dewhel's appears to be the same depth as the ZL1 addons pads. Just make sure the pads are flush up against the frame when tightening the allen bolts. I bought a longer set of bolts on ebay so there was more of the body of the bolt left in the hole after tightening. As others mentioned, use some blue loctite on the bolts before tightening them so they stay put.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
Hal Plant

Hi Fatty1707, Bobby and Madscott! Thank you. Glad to hear the gaps are no concern and the tip for moving the under protection to access is a good tip...with gloves! I'll give it a go this weekend if time allows and let you know how I made out. So much appreciated! Enjoy the ride and stay between the lines!

Tags
jack pad, lift pad