Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-14-2020, 01:05 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This is the problem. Track unlocks more power/less nannies. The modes controlled by the rocker are not just suspension, it's suspension, steering, throttle, etc. Sport and double-clicking the traction control turns everything off. It will go just fine then. PTM modes in Track by double-clicking again progressively unlock more power up to Race. When the nannies are off, it pulls HARD, you'll spin wheels on some surfaces and in some situations and have to watch that you don't go full-mustang. Exhaust doesn't matter much, as long as it's not in stealth mode. Also, even though it makes good torque down low, your still going to go faster with the RPM higher, so don't short shift when you are trying to go fast. The problem with this is that things get illegal very fast, but hey, that's a good problem to have.

This car does hide it's speed to some extent IMO. I had no complaints going between modes, but staying out of PTM, before I started doing some track events. Best advice I got was "turn everything off", which with our cars means either turn everything off, or to go the high end of the PTM modes, like Sport 2 or Race when you are comfortable. The car is pretty neutral and easy to handle, so it's not as daunting IMO as it sounds. But boy, when I did that, and I started jabbing full throttle on a course, I was saying "holy ****!, this thing moves!", quite surprised by the acceleration that it could muster.

For quick thrills, keep the suspension in Sport (sometimes track is just a little too harsh for the road surface and what might be encountered), do the double-traction-control click to turn everything off, and practice using launch control. It's actually really easy and there isn't much to learn, since it launches the car, but it's fun to do and be able to keep the throttle planted. It's going to control wheel-slip and help you stay in a straight line, once you get moving, the car will be providing full power due to the mode it's in with everything disabled. That's probably the best way to judge whether it's lagging.
Good response but a small correction: double pressing TC button in Sport does NOT turn everything off. It actually engages Competitive Mode, which turns TC off, but maintains Stabilitrak. In Track, a single press of the TC buttom does the same, while a double press launches PTM selections. To turn everything off TC button must be pressed for about 5 seconds until both symbols light up on a dash.

Refer the sticky above titled PTM modes demystified for all the details and much more

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #16
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Great responses gentlemen. I will definitely play with the modes and TC more.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #17
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
I don't know if its programmed into the ECM or not, but when I owned my SS 1LE, I did notice once I got the miles over about 5K, the car 'felt' like it was getting more power to the road. Again, maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but it sure felt to me like it was picking up more acceleration and torque. It would easily roast tires if you were too aggressive on the throttle in S mode.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #18
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Could just be the atrocious gearing the M6 has
Smaller wheels/tires will help remedy this alot

There are guys on here that claim a 17" drag pack knocks .5 off their quarter mile time. I believe it.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good response but a small correction: double pressing TC button in Sport does NOT turn everything off. It actually engages Competitive Mode, which turns TC off, but maintains Stabilitrak. In Track, a single press of the TC buttom does the same, while a double press launches PTM selections. To turn everything off TC button must be pressed for about 5 seconds until both symbols light up on a dash.

Refer the sticky above titled PTM modes demystified for all the details and much more

Cheers!
Right, I knew I was forgetting something, the "hold for 5 seconds"

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #20
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I also had a '15 1SS/1LE and my '19 1SS/1LE is way better in every way. Have plenty of pull in 1st and 2nd.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #21
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Right, I knew I was forgetting something, the "hold for 5 seconds"
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #22
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This is what I do when I drive my car.

2) COMPETITIVE MODE: this turns off TC but keeps StabiliTrak on, while engaging eLSD mode 4. Unlike PTM, this choice gives you access to full power at all times and it is 100% up to you to control it.To ENGAGE THIS MODE: select SPORT via mode button then press TC button TWICE. A dash msg should confirm you're in Comp Mode. Or, you can also select it from TRACK mode by pressing TC button ONLY once. Note no message will be displayed, but the car is now in Competitive Mode.
This mode is very handy to access full power by giving up all TC, but retain yaw control nanny (StabiliTrak).
This is the same as the old Corvette Comp Mode.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #23
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Full link.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #24
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

I turned off the nanny’s at the track and the car ran very well. Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 AM   #25
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
I turned off the nanny’s at the track and the car ran very well. Thanks guys.
what did it run? weather?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:58 AM   #26
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Could just be the atrocious gearing the M6 has
Smaller wheels/tires will help remedy this alot

There are guys on here that claim a 17" drag pack knocks .5 off their quarter mile time. I believe it.
*Laughs in Porsche GT4*

The gearing on this car isn't bad at all TBH. There is only so much you can do with an FR car and you only have 6 gears to work with versus 8 or 10 the autos get.

Really, I can't get grip in 1st unless the condition is absolutely optimal.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #27
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
what did it run? weather?
Weather wasn’t bad. 80 degrees. The problem was lousy track prep. You really had to slip the clutch to get off the line with out blowing the tires off. Second gear also had wheel spin every run. You could tell the end of season track prep was non existent. Car ran 8.5’s
Old 10-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #28
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
Weather wasn’t bad. 80 degrees. The problem was lousy track prep. You really had to slip the clutch to get off the line with out blowing the tires off. Second gear also had wheel spin every run. You could tell the end of season track prep was non existent. Car ran 8.5’s
what did it trap? for comparison, mine ran low 8.2s, with a bad bog, on a prepped track. 89 mph. after other attempts, gradually getting more aggressive with the launch, i finally sidestepped it from 4700 and it still fell flat on its face.