Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #43
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Recaros are very sweet: pay for shipping, or just trade her for an SS 1LE
yea may just have to at this point and na im just as fast or faster than most 1le guys and already have too much money in her at this point and its paid off in feb 2021 so no point
Old 11-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #44
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Still, we can have a pretty heavy rainy season, and temps in the 30's, and the tires are just fine. If you live in an area that gets colder you would want some all-seasons.
I commute about 60 miles a day on them, do track days, autocross a lot, and they hold up.
Wow - jack of all trades tire. So what kind of lifespan are you getting with the combined use?

Miles:
AutoX Runs:
Track Hours:

For RE71R, I would usually get:
Miles: 6000-7000
Runs: 100-120
Track Hours: N/A
Old 11-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #45
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yea may just have to at this point and na im just as fast or faster than most 1le guys and already have too much money in her at this point and its paid off in feb 2021 so no point
Looking at the Fastest Laps, those 1LE guys are likely not all that fast. So, keep pushing the driver mod nut
Most of all: have fun! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #46
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Although technically it's not classified as an all-season tire, my experience with the 4S since it hit the market has been that (and I don't commute to work) it can be driven hard in dry and wet conditions but ice should be avoided.

I've drivin it many times in 20-30F temps on sunny days in Denver and other than being more slippery than normal, I've encountered no issues.

So, I do see it as an all-season tire but with caveats.
There are many variables to tires.

Driving that tire (I have a set) on 20 degree pavement is a bad idea, but taking a car from a garage and putting it on sunny pavement, even when it's that cold, may result in pavement and tire temps way above the air temp, the road acts like a giant absorber of radiation and it heats up quickly (and cools off quickly when the sun goes down). Start with warm tires and that helps even more and of course, after some miles of driving, the tires warm up even more. So just because it's a 20-30 degree day doesn't necessarly mean you are driving on a 20 degree surface or even close to that.

Hell, today it's 31 degrees in AK and the effects of several storms, last night and a few days go, are all in a state of slush on the roads and they are well above freezing temp. You could get away driving any car/tire combo right now, because there's no ice. Yesterday, not even close, it was still below zero and everything was impacted snow (ice) that had built up like crazy. They do their best to scrape it off, but they can only do so much, so yesterday you would have been stuck at home without some serious winter tires, ideally studded with all the ice.

Nothing beats a winter tire (with high silica) if you are driving in any winter conditions, whether they are just cold temps, or precip.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #47
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I thought my post was clear that the 4S is great for dry and wet, perhaps the best, but not for snow/ice. But even on 20-30F sunny days I take this car and all past cars for a cruise in the afternoon when the road surface has some heat in it (sometimes 20-30 degrees above ambient) with the understanding that traction will not be great.

If conditions are too bad for my ZL1, I drive my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So just because it's a 20-30 degree day doesn't necessarly mean you are driving on a 20 degree surface or even close to that.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #48
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Wow - jack of all trades tire. So what kind of lifespan are you getting with the combined use?

Miles:
AutoX Runs:
Track Hours:

For RE71R, I would usually get:
Miles: 6000-7000
Runs: 100-120
Track Hours: N/A
I am at about 10k on the current set, about 3 track hours, 50 or so runs, and they still look pretty good. I probably need to measure tread depth. I'm gonna say they have 30-40% left.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #49
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
I am at about 10k on the current set, about 3 track hours, 50 or so runs, and they still look pretty good. I probably need to measure tread depth. I'm gonna say they have 30-40% left.
Impressive. You are obviously doing a great job with tire management!

That sounds like an ideal balance for about a year's time.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #50
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Impressive. You are obviously doing a great job with tire management!

That sounds like an ideal balance for about a year's time.
Thanks. I am really pleasantly surprised with them. I think it helps that I don't drive that hard unless I am at the track/skidpad.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #51
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
My stock 3R were so worn after 2000 miles and no track days I couldn't sell them
Yes, these 3r's wear out ridiculously fast. Thinking about trying the 3's but not sure if I wanna lose the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I am in the minority it seems, but I LOVE the SC3 tires. I also drive my car hard on the street though and I bought the 1LE to actually use what it is capable of.

They are cheap compared to the PS4, so IMO it is a win/win.

But as I said, I am a performance guy and actually drive my cars hard, as they were intended. 1.2 G's around cloverleafs is a great feeling and so is turning and burning up a mountain road.

But, that is me and I seem to be in the minority.
I'm right there with ya, this car is my fun car and I like to ride her hard through the same scenery. Hopefully will be on the track soon. Definitely Mileage vs performance, or $ vs $$$ but hell this ain't no prius
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #52
Tubtub

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 1LE
Looking for opinions.

I have a 2019 ss 1le and I'm looking to replace my stock tires.

Factors:

-This is my daily driver, and I drive aggressively.
- I do have dedicated winter wheel/tires.
- I track my car several times per year.
- I live in Washington where it is often rainy in the spring and summer.
- I don't really enjoy the tramlining of the stockies.

Any thoughts?

Should I stick with stock? I love the idea of the 4s having better road comfort and wet performancebut i do not want to sacrifice much dry performance.
Tubtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #53
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubtub View Post
Looking for opinions.

I have a 2019 ss 1le and I'm looking to replace my stock tires.

Factors:

-This is my daily driver, and I drive aggressively.
- I do have dedicated winter wheel/tires.
- I track my car several times per year.
- I live in Washington where it is often rainy in the spring and summer.
- I don't really enjoy the tramlining of the stockies.

Any thoughts?

Should I stick with stock? I love the idea of the 4s having better road comfort and wet performancebut i do not want to sacrifice much dry performance.
It's really up to how much performance decrease you're willing to accept on the track. 4s is excellent for harder street driving and better in all condition daily driving and even wet track driving that stock, but you'll loose a bit of track pace on dry good condition days. Don't get me wrong, they're still capable of holding up for track driving and can still get a respectable pace out of them, but don't be surprised if you're comparing lap times and can't quite catch cars on OE tires (assuming same driver skill). If that's acceptable for you, 4s seems like a good way to go.

Side note, an alignment may help with tramlining and will help significantly with track performance if you haven't gotten one already. Factory alignment leaves more to be desired on these cars, and getting the GM track alignment or something similar can get you a pretty drastic improvement.