#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
You mind sharing the roads? I'm in Pa and I look for twist roads every weekend haha.
I'm only familiar with the SE part of the state, near Phila but I have to drive about an hour to get anywhere decent.
In the video they show roads just north of Hamburg, they are on PA61 and pass PA895 which is a good road running west to east starting out out in Pine Grove.
And from Pine Grove there's PA125 north up to Shamokin.

Google search "PA's tail of the dragon" it's right out there near Ft Indiantown Gap.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
I tried to watch the video, but couldn’t make it through the first few minutes of whatever he was doing with his voice.
Same. I really don't know how anyone can watch those videos. It's probably the worst I've ever tried to watch. I get that he's trying to be funny but he's failing.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
He's essentially talking people out of buying the car because he's an idiot.
You are offended by this why?
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
I'm fine with the non-serious stuff. OTOH, his claim that Chevy sprays raw fuel into the exhaust to get the exhaust noises on overrun and his dire warnings that this will surely ruin the catalytic converters (which it would, which is why of course Chevy doesn't do that) seemed pretty serious. He's essentially talking people out of buying the car because he's an idiot.
That is true. Exhaust pops and crackles are not from dumping fuel in the exhaust, but from ignition timing difference. Some turbocharged cars use it for anti-lag, even.

That said, it does make you wonder the life of the cat down the road. The pops and crackles equates to extra pressure in the exhaust which can be harsh on the cats in that sense. I would think GM thought this through but it is food for thought.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That is true. Exhaust pops and crackles are not from dumping fuel in the exhaust, but from ignition timing difference. Some turbocharged cars use it for anti-lag, even.
But on our cars, I am sure the ECM is pulling all fuel on decel (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off or DFCO). There's no ignition happening in the exhaust system when the pops and crackles take place.

Quote:
That said, it does make you wonder the life of the cat down the road. The pops and crackles equates to extra pressure in the exhaust which can be harsh on the cats in that sense. I would think GM thought this through but it is food for thought.
Considering that the exhaust pressure on decel in gear is probably negative, then the pressure from those little pops is nothing compared to the exhaust pressure and heat of WOT operation. Also, remember that GM has to warranty the cats for 7yrs/70,000mi, so they aren't going to do anything that would actually jeopardize their lifespan.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #20
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Guy is a douchebag....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
A friend just sent me that video a few days ago. Let me first say that I have seen many of his other older car reviews and generally find them funny. He typically makes fun of the car he reviews with the general stereotypes. I get they are meant to be a joke, however, he really missed the mark on this one. I have no idea what he was doing the first 2 minutes, then the next 5 minutes he spent complaining about the exhaust pop. Almost seems like he has a personal issue with the Camaro/GM, and none of it was funny. Also I didn't quite understand the constant comparison to the C8 vette? Bad all around, would not watch if you haven't.
Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #22
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Guy is a douchebag....
+1. I lasted 1min and 12 secs before shutting it down.
And that was waiting too long imo.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #23
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
But on our cars, I am sure the ECM is pulling all fuel on decel (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off or DFCO). There's no ignition happening in the exhaust system when the pops and crackles take place.

Considering that the exhaust pressure on decel in gear is probably negative, then the pressure from those little pops is nothing compared to the exhaust pressure and heat of WOT operation. Also, remember that GM has to warranty the cats for 7yrs/70,000mi, so they aren't going to do anything that would actually jeopardize their lifespan.
I believe the idea is that you still have a little bit of fuel in the cylinder as you let off the gas pedal since the airflow is abruptly interrupted. The car just changes the ignition timing so that, while the combustion happens in the cylinder, some of the pressure shoots out of the cylinder into the exhaust to create the pops and crackles.

And I think you are right, the pops and crackles wouldn't be as hard on the cats as some WOT runs.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #24
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily1LE View Post
A friend just sent me that video a few days ago. Let me first say that I have seen many of his other older car reviews and generally find them funny. He typically makes fun of the car he reviews with the general stereotypes. I get they are meant to be a joke, however, he really missed the mark on this one. I have no idea what he was doing the first 2 minutes, then the next 5 minutes he spent complaining about the exhaust pop. Almost seems like he has a personal issue with the Camaro/GM, and none of it was funny. Also I didn't quite understand the constant comparison to the C8 vette? Bad all around, would not watch if you haven't.
So you think it's funny when people are stereotyping others, but you don't like it when it's done to you.

Seems like a pretty decent lesson to apply to literally every situation in life. Do unto others, and all of that.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
So you think it's funny when people are stereotyping others, but you don't like it when it's done to you.

Seems like a pretty decent lesson to apply to literally every situation in life. Do unto others, and all of that.
I absolutely agree in general, however, in this case I think the point he made was about the lack of quality. Harping on "fake" exhaust pops was really lame, and the entire review felt a bit labored and underresearched.

Here is an example of true quality satire with a lavish use of stereotypes done to "me" (as in, me being a white male) that left me laughing in tears: https://youtu.be/fN7iibmTwtQ. But then again, not everyone can lay it down like the boss Whitlock is.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #26
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I watched it.....IMO, another viewpoint from someone who doesn't merit being able to give proper feedback.

Ken
khcoaching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #27
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Guy is a douchebag....
I really tried with that video but yeah it's crap.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #28
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Just when you think a thread should die, it keeps getting bumped up giving the guy more attention.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote