Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Any experience with Methanol?

Hi all, I'd like to know some things about this whole Meth thing.

1. How difficult is it to install?

2. How long does a gallon last? (Or how many pulls on average could a gallon last?

3. How expensive are these kits? (what brand to use)

4. Are there specific kits for the ZL1 or is it just a universal set up?

5. Ho much power gain is possible with just CAI, TB, LT headers no cats, and lower 9.17 pulley?

6. Is it worth it?

7. Any problems or concerns?

So I have list of mods I'll be doing over the next 3 months. Currently I have RF intake dry filter and TM TB. I have a ATI balancer and 9.17 lower pulley sitting in the garage waiting for Kooks long tube headers.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
777Jackpot777

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2018 Tahoe RST Edition
I want to run Meth as well, also interested in people’s experience with the Z.

777Jackpot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Hi all, I'd like to know some things about this whole Meth thing.

1. How difficult is it to install?

2. How long does a gallon last? (Or how many pulls on average could a gallon last?

3. How expensive are these kits? (what brand to use)

4. Are there specific kits for the ZL1 or is it just a universal set up?

5. Ho much power gain is possible with just CAI, TB, LT headers no cats, and lower 9.17 pulley?

6. Is it worth it?

7. Any problems or concerns?

So I have list of mods I'll be doing over the next 3 months. Currently I have RF intake dry filter and TM TB. I have a ATI balancer and 9.17 lower pulley sitting in the garage waiting for Kooks long tube headers.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Install is pretty straight forward, most performance shops/tuners will be able to do it easily.

For how long a gallon lasts, totally depends on where its set to come on and and how you're driving it. If tuned for 4000 RPM spray, then you could probably make it last for a while. If you're constantly getting the RPMs up then you could burn through it in a couple days or less.

Kits vary drastically in price. You can get intake plates/nozzles or directly plumbed to the supercharger lid with something like the NX Blower lid. I'd go with Snow Performance or Alky Control.

They're going to be specific to the ZL1 or specifically the LT engine in most cases, however most parts are going to be interchangeable.

I'd say on that setup, expect 30-50 RWHP from a Meth upgrade on that setup, as well as lower intake temps/reduced knock, etc.

Yes I think Meth setups are worth it. You just want to make sure they're tuned properly and your tuner knows how to scale the spray.

Only problems or concerns is you'll want to regularly have the meth pump rebuilt (I believe Alky recommends yearly or so) as they can tend to leak over time.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Install is pretty straight forward, most performance shops/tuners will be able to do it easily.

For how long a gallon lasts, totally depends on where its set to come on and and how you're driving it. If tuned for 4000 RPM spray, then you could probably make it last for a while. If you're constantly getting the RPMs up then you could burn through it in a couple days or less.

Kits vary drastically in price. You can get intake plates/nozzles or directly plumbed to the supercharger lid with something like the NX Blower lid. I'd go with Snow Performance or Alky Control.

They're going to be specific to the ZL1 or specifically the LT engine in most cases, however most parts are going to be interchangeable.

I'd say on that setup, expect 30-50 RWHP from a Meth upgrade on that setup, as well as lower intake temps/reduced knock, etc.

Yes I think Meth setups are worth it. You just want to make sure they're tuned properly and your tuner knows how to scale the spray.

Only problems or concerns is you'll want to regularly have the meth pump rebuilt (I believe Alky recommends yearly or so) as they can tend to leak over time.
hit the nail on the head! I ran Alky on my 4th gen turbo car, and will be running the same dual nozzle setup on this car. I prefer the trunk mounted tank instead of utilizing the windshield washer tank, but that's a personal preference. the performance is great that you can get out of it, but keeping more consistent IATs as well as keeping the TB, intake, and heads clean are a great positive as well.
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Markoz28

Awesome! Thanks for the reply’s.

So does the nozzle connect to the intake elbow before the throttle body?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the reply’s.

So does the nozzle connect to the intake elbow before the throttle body?
That’s one way to do it. The other as mentioned would be to do a direct port setup with individual nozzles for each cylinder. NX makes a blower lid to accommodate the nozzles.

I’ve had meth injection on 3 cars, and it’s very much worth the effort as long as it’s done properly. For me, that means running the right sized nozzle/nozzles, and not using the meth as fueling. I’ve always tuned my cars to a safe AFR, then sprayed the meth on top for cooling and added knock resistance.

The downside is added complication. The stuff is also very flammable depending on mixture. I’d also say you probably would want a wideband gauge to monitor things. Alky Control includes a small LED that turns green when the system builds pressure, but this can’t account for a clogged nozzle, filter, etc.

You definitely need to be more aware of what’s going on with your car if it has a methanol system. I probably wouldn’t want to deal with it on a daily driver, either. Just my 2 cents after installing, tuning, and living with a few of these systems.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
That’s one way to do it. The other as mentioned would be to do a direct port setup with individual nozzles for each cylinder. NX makes a blower lid to accommodate the nozzles.

I’ve had meth injection on 3 cars, and it’s very much worth the effort as long as it’s done properly. For me, that means running the right sized nozzle/nozzles, and not using the meth as fueling. I’ve always tuned my cars to a safe AFR, then sprayed the meth on top for cooling and added knock resistance.

The downside is added complication. The stuff is also very flammable depending on mixture. I’d also say you probably would want a wideband gauge to monitor things. Alky Control includes a small LED that turns green when the system builds pressure, but this can’t account for a clogged nozzle, filter, etc.

You definitely need to be more aware of what’s going on with your car if it has a methanol system. I probably wouldn’t want to deal with it on a daily driver, either. Just my 2 cents after installing, tuning, and living with a few of these systems.
solid advice!

although for this car I will be utilizing it for fueling until a reasonably priced option becomes available for us.
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I've been running it for 2 seasons, 1st season I ran just 1-1000 cc nozzle and this summer added another 1000 cc nozzle. I run a mixture of 50-50 meth and water, you can also run - 20 Autozone washer fluid which is about 65% water and 35% meth and that's what I used to run and will go back to that next year. I use the washer fluid tank since I don't drive mine in the rain and that's the best way in my opinion. You can figure with the tuning an additional 30 rwhp or more plus the cooling effect of Meth/Water injection into the intake, you always put your nozzle between the MAF and TB. I use the AEM system and have never had a problem. Good luck in your decision and hope my input helps,
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I've been running it for 2 seasons, 1st season I ran just 1-1000 cc nozzle and this summer added another 1000 cc nozzle. I run a mixture of 50-50 meth and water, you can also run - 20 Autozone washer fluid which is about 65% water and 35% meth and that's what I used to run and will go back to that next year. I use the washer fluid tank since I don't drive mine in the rain and that's the best way in my opinion. You can figure with the tuning an additional 30 rwhp or more plus the cooling effect of Meth/Water injection into the intake, you always put your nozzle between the MAF and TB. I use the AEM system and have never had a problem. Good luck in your decision and hope my input helps,
Just curious as to where you mounted your pump. Did you remove the fender and mount it behind it? I haven’t seen many installs documented on the 6th gen cars.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
The pump is mounted in an opening on the passenger front inner fender. You have to remove the inner liner if you want to use the washer fluid tank. We just mounted it there as it was convenient to the WF tank.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Markoz28

Quote:
Thank you so much. I’m trying to get all the info I can on using meth. I think I will follow and use the WF tank as well. I know do a remote tank that holds more fluid but I’m not so concerned as I detail my car every week and even the engine bay so if I need to top off fluids that’s no big deal. Any cons to using meth?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
BMWM.D.

Quote:
The pump is mounted in an opening on the passenger front inner fender. You have to remove the inner liner if you want to use the washer fluid tank. We just mounted it there as it was convenient to the WF tank.
So you have the liner completely removed?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
How much used depends on the efficiency of the setup or power adder. For ex. on my 416 LS3 with eforce it made 620 on 93 with 14lbs of boost on meth it made right at 700 same boost. On pure meth it would pretty much ice the intake over and after 4 pulls it was at a unsafe level.

I switch to an AGP kit that's all I did different and at 8lbs i was 743 on the same dyno no meth no fuel changes.

No one has talked about the what ifs.. while i had the meth kit on 2 cars from the shop who did my tuning had catastrophic failure one stuck solenoid and one pump both under 1 year use. Needless to say both customers rebuilt with out meth after that.

Gather a plan and either upgrade your power adder for the extra 30 to 50 hp or switch to e85 and upgrade your fuel system.

If you sale your blower and get a whipple or 2650 and dont spend the money on lower pulleys, port work, TB, and meth.. You come out cheaper and safer both options should be 700 or better at wheels.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
I run it on my setup and it's foolproof. Vengeance installed the alky control dual nozzle setup for mine to handle the top end of the fuel capability. Works well, super easy to maintain/refill. The controll box is mounted by my knee with a trigger light in the Ac vent. I always run a test before doing any runs, get a drop in rpms indicating the meth sprayed into the intake. TBH I never know when its spraying bc I'm focused on driving at the time when I'm WOT. I'm happy with it, I top off my tank with VP M1 before I leave every time.

Only downfall is if the system fails, possible KABOOM! So I might upgrade in the future to a non-meth setup when I choose to go with a whipple or procharger.

Last edited by Hellobatman; 10-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Hellobatman is offline   Reply With Quote